News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
 I really want to play Prestwick and Royal Dornoch. Niall invited me to Glasgow Gailes at last year’s Buda.

I could be persuaded to go to N.Berwick and TOC again on a detour and the courses near Aberdeen on the way.

I would love to find someone to join me.
AKA Mayday

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2018, 09:38:09 AM »
Short days and the advent of 2018 are turning my thoughts to happy things like Golspie and Brora.

As a newbie to BUDAs and nr 17 on the list when do you usually finalise the attendees? I'm mainly thinking of getting some accomodation booked if I'm 'in'.
Some of the options appear to be showing no availability for these dates already.

Thanks
Ian

Niall C

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Bump as to Ian's question.

Mike Malone - can you message me.

Thanks

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
Glasgow Gailes - underrated.

Some very nice, subtly undulating green sites.

Niall C

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »

Yes and no. Often overlooked by visitors due to lack of sea view it doesn't really fare that well in the rankings as most raters tend to be visitors and outwith the area. "Locally" however it is very well regarded. By locally I mean not just in Ayrshire and West of Scotland but by those generally with a good knowledge of Scotlands top courses.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »

Yes and no. Often overlooked by visitors due to lack of sea view it doesn't really fare that well in the rankings as most raters tend to be visitors and outwith the area. "Locally" however it is very well regarded. By locally I mean not just in Ayrshire and West of Scotland but by those generally with a good knowledge of Scotlands top courses.

Niall

Fair point. Underrated by hit 'n' runners.

Niall C

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »
Ian G

Just checked the OP and it appears you are "in" so you may want to get your accommodation booked now.

Steve

Any updates such as when you will be looking for deposits etc.

Niall

Steve Wilson

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
Niall,

As for deposits, etc.  Soon.  I need a discussion with the BUDA cognoscenti to determine amounts of deposit and deadlines.

I've already contacted the Indian Restaurant in Brora and if we are willing to wait until 730 pm, or 1930 for those you on the 24 hour clock, we can have the entire restaurant for about 20 GBP per head on Saturday May 26.  He also serves European food.  Still in negotiations about this. 

Regards,
Steve Wilson
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Niall C

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
Steve

Thanks for that. Happy to pay deposit sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
Sorry, Steve, but Josie and I will have to pass due to other obligations.  Enjoy all and post pictures!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2018, 10:50:36 PM »
More from Rich about playing the Buda area.

I was up in Dornoch last weekend and played two very enticing 9 holers, Portmahamock and Brahan.  Neither are anywhere near "great" in strict GCA terms, but both must be played by any lover of the quirks of golf.

The latter is oor Jon Wiggett's labor of love, and I can only describe it as a course which must be match played (I guessed that the course record with a card in one's hand was 118 or so, and Jon did not disagree).  It is a course which eschews any use of unnatural fertilizers, and schedules its development/maintenance in harmony with the breeding habits of the skylarks.  The tees are 5'x10' slivers of occasionally mowed bits of mostly un-levelled pieces of ground.  The fairways are well maintained (within the context of a very wet spring/summer) and mostly well defined vis a vis the deep fescue surrounds.   On the tee, Jon advised me of the possible confusion of finding the 2nd green, but both Josie and I forgot what he said and hit our 2nd shots towards what was in fact the 3rd green.  Good result, as we could never have made the carry to the real 2nd green.  After that, the routing was fairly obvious, but the seocnd shots had to be played to greens that had two flags embedded in them.  We wisely chose to play most holes aiming between the two, and putting/chipping out depending on which hole we wer closer to.  The greens themselves could only be compared to the Himalayas putting green at St. Andrews.  They putted smooth and well, but the micro-undulations made any putt problematic/WTF!.  We loved that!  As for the course:  1 is relatively short, but requires a wedge approach to a green split by two flags with a buried VW Beetle between them.  I'd call it a par 6.  2 confuses you given that it is not clear at the tee whether or not to play the fairway to the right or the one to the left.  As the one to the right is the 4th fairway, a drive there seduces you into aiming at what is in fact the 3rd green, but once you get there you see that a ptich to the real 2nd green is fine, as you could never have made the carry from the 2nd fairway to the 2nd green.  The real 3 is a good short hole and the 4th a somewhat confusing but decenbt decent 4.  The 5th is a 3/4 which played into the wind was a driver and a wedge.  I lost my ball in a waterloggeed bunker, but Josie pitched to 20 feet and sunk a 7-time r/l/r/l/r/lr/l putt for a birdie.  I'll never live that down...  6 is a brute of a hole, 440 up hill which, into a 20mph wind, meant driver, rescue, recuse for me.  7 is 475 and goes further up hill, which I think I hit with driver/rescue, but never found the ball.  8 goes slightly downhill to ~180.  I hit a good driver 10 yards short, chili dipped a 7 iron and then sunk a 40 foot chip#2 going l/r/l/r/l/for a par.  18 is a relief, being downhill and downwind, and only 560 yards.  I think if I ever played it into the wind with a card in my hand, I would still be playing it today.  I highly recommend the course to anybody on this site who has a sense of adventure and wants to play a course to which he or she does not have to bring his or her A game, but rather some ganja or malt whisky and a love of nature.

Portmahamock, on the other hand is an oldie but goodie.  Laid out ~100+ years ago by the (should be) legendary John Sutherland, and probably relatively untouched over the past century.  Where it seems to have been touched is the 1st and 2nd holes, which are agricultural rather than Sutherlandish, and an attempt to make the course larger rather than better.  After that, however, you are on a roller coaster ride through rough linksland, with heaving fairways and more heavingly seemingly unhittable/unstayable greens.  Throughout these 7 holes you can see where old holes might have been, and as a bonus, you find that this is not at all a 9-holer but a 10- holer!  The 5th/14th plays from a differnet green from a different tee.  Locals play the course using both 5th tees on both tours and then ending on 7/16, which is conveniently by the clubhouse.  With a little bit more money and a little bit more understanding of its history and TLC, this could be one of the greatest 9-holers in the world.

Rich

PS--this was the first time I have played Portmahamock in the 38 years I have been to Dornoch, and I will play this course again and again until I die.

rfg
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
NOW you tell me!

In looking at an aerial of the area, there appears to be a course at Balcherry that has perhaps gone to seed.   Anyone know anything?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
Pre-Buda Golf?

Wardo, Chris Shaida, Jerry Kluger, Sterling Forsythe and I are playing Pitlochry on Friday, 25 May in advance of the Buda.

Any Buda-pests interested in joining us? If yes, send me a PM for availability.

Cheers!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
Pre-Buda Golf?

I'll be playing Brahan the 25th.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2018, 03:20:32 AM »

Mike,

Re: Pitlochry, my wife and I were in the town last year post-BUDA and hiked up through the course into the hills beyond.  As I recall, you once said that Streamsong Blue was a hard walk.  Streamsong Blue to Pitlochry is like a pancake to a mountain. At least a 300 foot vertical climb in the first three holes.  Nice views though.

If you're looking for accomodation we stayed in the Tigh Na Cloich Hotel - more like a large B&B.  It was quite pleasant and a shortish (very uphill) walk to the club.  We thought the Fern Cottage Restaurant was quite nice.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2018, 03:47:18 AM »
As a newbie and somewhat reasonable plane ride away I wished I would have joined earlier to schedule it. I can't break away during this time with Ramadan here in the kingdom and needing me to work while others observe.

BTW a totally newbie question but I have read the thread but I didn't find any reference to what BUDA actually stands for?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:41 AM »
Mike

Bryan beat me to it. Sterling might want to take a buggy or he'll be done in for the rest of the weekend. The first 3 holes are uphill but I find they aren't nearly as bad as they look as long as you aren't lugging a full set of clubs with waterproofs etc. The food in the clubhouse is pretty decent.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
As a newbie and somewhat reasonable plane ride away I wished I would have joined earlier to schedule it. I can't break away during this time with Ramadan here in the kingdom and needing me to work while others observe.

BTW a totally newbie question but I have read the thread but I didn't find any reference to what BUDA actually stands for?

There is an old silver chalice (probably very valuable) that we play for.   It's a Cup of Friendship rather than a Trophy.   Sean Arble bought it in Budapest and donated it to the group.
[/color] [/size]
[/color]Speaking of which, this currently resides in a deep and secure vault, AKA my basement.  [/size]If anyone who is able to attend this year is passing through London, PM me and I’ll arrange a security convoy to pass it to you.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
If anyone who is able to attend this year is passing through London, PM me and I’ll arrange a security convoy to pass it to you.

Or next time you're in North Berwick you could pass it to David, or myself to take up.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
Pre Buda thought  Portmahomack with lunch at the Oystercatcher.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
Pre Buda thought  Portmahomack with lunch at the Oystercatcher.
Or post!  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
Very sorry but Bill and I will have to drop out due to a family commitment. A great shame as we were very much looking forward to catching up with many folks. Hope all attending have a great time.
All the best.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
Very sorry but Bill and I will have to drop out due to a family commitment. A great shame as we were very much looking forward to catching up with many folks. Hope all attending have a great time.
All the best.
:'(

Garland Bayley

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
All the best.
:'(
+1

😥

Steve Wilson

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »
Glad to see Brahan getting some mention.  Jon has proposed a matchplay against the course bogey at at 12 GBP per.  I thought we might try to maximize participation on the Friday before the official BUDA.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back