News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora LINK TO SPREADSHEET IN FIRST POST
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Pitlochry is wonderful. Have a ‘John Panton’ in the Bar!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
Pitlochry is wonderful. Have a ‘John Panton’ in the Bar!
F.

.....and have a Sherpa waiting on the 1st tee and an EMT at the highest points of the course..... ;)

FFF.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »

I am slightly surprised/concerned/disappointed that only one person has committed to the pre-BUDA event at my place. I hope a few more chose to take part.

Jon

What time on Friday is Brahan?

I will be travelling up on the Friday and would love a game in the afternoon.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2018, 03:32:36 AM »

I am slightly surprised/concerned/disappointed that only one person has committed to the pre-BUDA event at my place. I hope a few more chose to take part.

Jon

Duncan,
I think it will be mid afternoon but because of the format it can be done solo. Regardless of what you decide you would be more than welcome.
Jon
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:35:24 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2018, 03:57:00 AM »

Jon

Duncan,

I think it will be mid afternoon but because of the format it can be done solo. Regardless of what you decide you would be more than welcome.

Jon

Even if I join Mike Whitaker et al at Pitlochry at 9.30am I will definitely pop in for 9 holes at Brahan at around 4pm.  Depending on how I'm feeling I might drive up to Brora the following morning.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2018, 05:03:01 AM »

Jon

Duncan,
Jon

Even if I join Mike Whitaker et al at Pitlochry at 9.30am I will definitely pop in for 9 holes at Brahan at around 4pm.  Depending on how I'm feeling I might drive up to Brora the following morning.

Sounds like a plan Duncan

Garland Bayley

« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:29 PM »
Curious as to whether anyone is playing Tain or Portmahomack on May 24th.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
If anyone is interested (and old enough ;) ), the Tain Open Senior (55+) Stableford will be held on May 25. The entry fee is 13 pounds, which covers your green fee for the round.

http://www.tain-golfclub.co.uk/competitions/open-competitions-2

Garland Bayley

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
If anyone is interested (and old enough ;) ), the Tain Open Senior (55+) Stableford will be held on May 25. The entry fee is 13 pounds, which covers your green fee for the round.

http://www.tain-golfclub.co.uk/competitions/open-competitions-2

That sounds like something I would like to do. But, I am committed to doing Jon's event that day and recouping energy for Buda.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Wilson

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora COLLECTING MONEY NOW
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »
To Garland:  I might be cajoled into playing one or both of Tain and Portmahomack on the 24th.  Stay in touch with me.  Like you I have the 25th penciled in for Brahan.

To Ben: I have looked at the one place I've stayed in Golspie and it appears there is no accommodation on that date.  Sorry.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »

Steve,

Have you determined the total amount of money you want to collect before BUDA starts?  I notice that the subject line has changed but the first post still has a $ range, not a specific amount.  I'm just itching to send you some money.   ;D

Steve Wilson

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Forgot to bump this when I posted the money details yesterday.   Okay Bryan, you can take care of that itch now.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Dear Mr. Wilson,

For those of us in fly-over country running on fewer cylinders, do you want $280 in addition to the deposit already paid?  Might it not be easier to hand over the requisite amount in the local currency to the Treasurer upon arrival?  Your choice, of course. 

Thank you.   

Steve Wilson

« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »
Lou,

It's been my intention to pay for all of the golf and the food before we start.  I'm going to be on the ground in Golspie for nearly a fortnight and whilst there thought I would have all the large and small details wrapped up tightly.  Just thinking about has caused me to lapse into Brittishisms fortnight and whilst.  At any rate, I will be handing them money and a list of who has paid. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »
Lou,

It's been my intention to pay for all of the golf and the food before we start.  I'm going to be on the ground in Golspie for nearly a fortnight and whilst there thought I would have all the large and small details wrapped up tightly.  Just thinking about has caused me to lapse into Brittishisms fortnight and whilst.  At any rate, I will be handing them money and a list of who has paid.

Fewer words and in Texan:  do you want $280 on top of the deposit?  Sent to the same PayPal account?

Stan Dodd

« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
Steve, Format suggestion
4 ball better ball in a.m. and foursomes greensomes in the afternoon.  For old guys like me who may run out of gas in the afternoon.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
Stan,
Format is negotiable.  We also have to start determining who will assume the captainships for the opposing and very likely flexible squads.

Regards,
Steve Wilson

Steve Wilson

« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2018, 01:51:55 AM »
Lou,
 In hillbilly and more directly "280 more them thar dollars shore enuf"

Bless your heart Texan and don't them steers bump you

And yes to the same account.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »
Bump.  Also a reminder to anyone who needs a golf cart (sorry buggy) for either the second round or all day at any of the BUDA events.  Both courses have a limited supply.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2018, 12:28:55 AM »
Is my routing of Moray Old shown below correct?

MorayGolfClubRouting by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2018, 03:35:53 AM »

Garland,

as far as I can recall yes though Niall C is probably the man to ask. It is odd that the main course spends so much time away from the shoreline on the front nine and though 4,5 & 8 are cracking holes 6 & 7 are nothing special. Having said that I do wonder if the club might not be better to concentrate on improving the new course which is best described as 'bland'.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Garland

Not sure how this got on to a thread on BUDA but glad you posted that aerial. Yes, you’ve got the routing bang on. Holes 5-8 are on the other side of a public road from the rest of the holes, and lie adjacent to RAF Lossiemouth which you can see at the bottom of the picture.

The flight path for landing comes in from the sea and flies more or less directly down the approach to the 9th green. By the time the planes (used to be Tornados, now I think it might be Typhoons ?) go over in front of the 7th tee and behind the 6th green, they are low enough to be hit by a tee shot struck from the 7th. Apparently it has happened although never managed it in my time there.

Jon refers to 6 and 7 being nothing special and I think he’s correct. 6 is a slightly downhill short/medium par 3 with a fairly circular flattish green. Nothing wrong with the length or situation, it’s just that the green complex is bland. A face lift isn’t enough, I’m afraid, it needs to be a complete redesign.

The 7th is on the worst bit of land for golf that the club owns. Not only is it flat but the ground is more peaty than linksy. If I recall it’s a 4 on the card but unless the ball is running hard I can’t get up in two. The green has one bunker front right and clearly designed for long approaches, and there is a centreline bunker further down the fairway but again I rarely reach that. So for the vast majority (I include myself in the ranks of medium hitters) it’s a 3 shotter with the 3rd shot usually a short iron or half wedge to large(ish) open(ish) green. Not very inspiring.

By the time you get to the 15th tee you’ve played 12 par 4’s (depending on where you tee-off on the second). That might sound like monotony but due to the variety and quality in the par 4’s you don’t really notice.

Now how would I improve the course ? Well Garland, I’m glad you asked that question  ;D
First off I’d completely redesign the 6th green.

Secondly I’d address the pacing, if I can call it that, of the stretch from 7 to 10. At the moment you have two hard to reach par 4’s followed by two almost driveable par 4’s. All good holes in their own right apart from the 7th but as a sequence they’re not the best IMO. My changes would be as follows;

7th – build a new green further back to make it a proper par 5 with the green more challenging for short/mid length iron approaches.
8th – I might be tempted if anything to move the tees slightly forward but otherwise leave alone.
9th – leave alone other than perhaps remove the fairway bunker that was built several years ago.
10th – your aerial shows the hole from the very back medal/championship tee behind the 9th green (as you play the 10th). The usual tee plays from in front of the 9th green and makes the10th green nearly driveable. I’d be tempted to move the tee a wee bit further up to make a long par 3.

Thereby by building one new green, two new tees, the sequence goes from two long par 4’s and two short par 4’s to a par 5, a long par 4, a short par 4 and a par 3 which to my mind is a better sequence and you do get to address the bland 7th.

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Garland

Not sure how this got on to a thread on BUDA but glad you posted that aerial. ...

I knew you were following this thread, and would know the answer. ;)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
Steve,  a few of questions:

What time are we starting in the morning each day?  I guess it would be useful to arrive approximately on time.

Were bacon rolls etc for breakfast part of the deal or do we need to feed ourselves off site before arriving at the respective clubs?

Can you recommend places for early breakfast for those of us in rental houses?

Are we all playing off scratch or should we start the handicap wars now?  🤔

Mark Pearce

« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »
Are we all playing off scratch or should we start the handicap wars now?  🤔
As a seasoned BUDAite, you should know that the handicap wars are always reserved for the night before competition.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back