News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: ANGC: Billy Payne announces retirement, Fred Ridley named successor
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
I think Billy Payne has done a lot of great things for golf, and for The Masters, during his time as Chairman. Hope he enjoys his "retirement!"
H.P.S.

Gary Sato

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
Interesting that I just played golf the other day who is close to certain members. It was his feeling that a number of members had grown tired of Payne.

An article I read today noted that Payne using the power of the green jacket helped enormously with growing the game. With that said, Payne basically left the golf course alone.

What Ridley does is a question. He's a traditionalist,  the last US Amateur winner to not turn pro.

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:17:07 PM »
Yep...I also think the members had had enough...Ridley will be an interesting study...will be interesting to see if his old college roomy becomes the new consulting archie...hopefully he will not make as big of a commercial event of things as BP...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:35 AM »
A couple of years ago something clicked for me - a different way of thinking about Augusta National and its members and Mr Payne. And suddenly I experienced a new-found affection and warmth for that place and for those people. I realized that they saw themselves as stewards. They saw themselves (in BP's case at least, with members perhaps being volunteered for the role) as servants of one main goal and one over-riding purpose, ie to preserve and enhance and continue to present The Masters in the most exemplary way possible -- and all for our viewing pleasure. Everything else, including the famed golf course itself and even their own enjoyment of it, takes 2nd place. There is something admirable in that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:10:53 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:18:53 AM »
I just have one wish regarding the Masters other than the obvious - allow more TV time on Thursday and Friday as 4 hours isn't enough.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/8/23/chairman-fred-ridley-will-be-tested-right-away.html

Good article by Geoff Shackelford.

The Masters is incredibly influential in the golf world but I can't imagine them deciding to use different equipment without the the USGA/R&A doing the same. Although, if anyone can force the USGA/R&A's hand, it would be Augusta National.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
will be interesting to see if his old college roomy becomes the new consulting archie...

Who's that, Mike?
H.P.S.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
Steve Smyers I'd guess...

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
I just have one wish regarding the Masters other than the obvious - allow more TV time on Thursday and Friday as 4 hours isn't enough.
But even that is less of an issue with the streaming that they provide like Amen Corner live, featured groups, etc.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
But even that is less of an issue with the streaming that they provide like Amen Corner live, featured groups, etc.

Is this an ANGC issue or the US Networks?

For maybe 10 years now we get a full day of Masters in Latina America. Even 2 teams of anchors since it is so long... on Thursday they start with the ceremonial drives up to the last group.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »

Is this an ANGC issue or the US Networks?

For maybe 10 years now we get a full day of Masters in Latina America. Even 2 teams of anchors since it is so long... on Thursday they start with the ceremonial drives up to the last group.

That's news to us Yankees. Lucky you!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Eric LeFante

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/fred-ridley-takes-the-lead-at-augusta-national-masters

Fred Ridley quotes Bobby Jones as saying about the 13th hole:

“It really goes back to the underlying philosophy of the challenge that the golf course should present. Jones had a great quote about the 13th hole, that the second shot should entail ‘a momentous decision whether or not to try for the green.’ That says it all. So we are looking at opportunities there.”

What a wonderful quote from Jones. As crazy as it is to keep spending money for 100 players to play 1 week per year, it's hard to argue that the hole today plays the way Jones intended. I just hope they don't add too much length and only 15 guys in the field can go for the green and everyone else has to lay up.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/fred-ridley-takes-the-lead-at-augusta-national-masters

What a wonderful quote from Jones. As crazy as it is to keep spending money for 100 players to play 1 week per year, it's hard to argue that the hole today plays the way Jones intended. I just hope they don't add too much length and only 15 guys in the field can go for the green and everyone else has to lay up.

No worries Eric,
They don't let them play after age 65 anymore.

Amazing to me we all see the problem,....and none of the fixes address the actual cause.

Of course I think it's perfectly logical that every club that hosts any event involving High School juniors or better should simply buy all the property around them...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back