News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: Raters
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Ben,

No, I do not give more credence to people because they are raters.  I try to look at themes in posts from frequent posters and match them against my own experiences.  If someone really likes a course I like or vice versa, then I am more likely to want to play or not play a course that they recommend.  I have limited opportunity to play a lot of courses around the country, let alone the world, so I try to gather as much information as possible.  For example, we are making what might be are only trip to Carmel later this month--Pacific Grove will be on the agenda precisely because of recommendations from people on GCA who seem to have perspective/tastes similar to my wife's and mine.  Sean A. is a great example--he has written highly about courses that I have played and really like (Mid Pines, The Island Club, and Hope Valley) so I certainly would consult his views in planning a trip.  I believe he said he is a rater, and I would hazard a bet that it would be for World Top 100 or GW.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »
The thing about Sean A, and why he posts under a fake name, is that his ties to the golf industry are far more important than his rater card. He is not a civilian looking for access. He is the real deal with real opinions.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
The thing about Sean A, and why he posts under a fake name, is that his ties to the golf industry are far more important than his rater card. He is not a civilian looking for access. He is the real deal with real opinions.

JakaB

My opinions are no better or more important than any others.  We all have our preferences and many seek out the opinions of those with similar tastes.  I had a serious WTF moment a month or so ago when a few people told me Baltray is better than The Island. I don't buy that for a NY minute and its hard for me to see how anybody could hold that view....yet many do.  Thats life....nobody is right or wrong...just folks with different opinions. Its only golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back