News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

How did Birkdale get flattened?
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
I've played Birkdale twice and throughly enjoyed the course and experience, but I've always wondered... how did it get flattened? Compared to other true links courses Birkdale's fairways are more similar to a course like Castle Stuart.

What's the story?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

Re: How did Birkdale get flattened?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »
Michael:

I think Castle Stuart is a poor comparison because nearly all of its contours are manufactured.

I doubt Birkdale's were changed radically.  In many instances, you will find that the valleys between big dunes are relatively gentle in contour.  [Trump International in Aberdeen is actually a good comparison.]  It's possible that they did a bit more leveling on those fairways than was done on older links like Hoylake or Troon, but I don't think they bulldozed them all flat.  They just built the golf course on some of the less interesting ground.

James Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »
Birkdale's fairways are not all flat, either.  Some have more movement than others and TV always flattens. 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
JB

I agree with you. The fairways are relatively flat compared to some courses, but many clubs would kill for some of the movement at Birkdale.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
I think Castle Stuart is a poor comparison because nearly all of its contours are manufactured.
Tom - I didn't word my sentence properly... I meant to say that of all the "true" links courses I have played (of which Birkdale is one) the fairways there seem a bit less crumpled than "normal," not unlike Castle Stuart's which are indeed completely manufactured. It made me wonder if Birkdale had been intentionally smoothed out at some stage.

I get your theory about the floor between high dunes being less "crumpled," and Balmedie is a good example... but, were those fairways not artifically smoothed during construction to make the course "fairer" (in an American sort of way) to attract a professional event? I thought I read that somewhere.

I don't remember other non-manufactured courses I have seen with deep dune valleys having less crumpled fairways. For example, in Ireland I didn't think Ballybunion, Carne or Portstuart had less crumpled fairways between their massive dunes. Maybe it's an Irish thing!  ;D

In any case, I wasn't trying to beat up Birkdale as I really like the course and consider it one of my very favorite to play. I was just curious if there has been a concerted effort to "iron out" the randomness one usually finds on a natural links.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

James Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
Tom - I didn't word my sentence properly... I meant to say that of all the "true" links courses I have played (of which Birkdale is one) the fairways there seem a bit less crumpled than "normal," not unlike Castle Stuart's which are indeed completely manufactured. It made me wonder if Birkdale had been intentionally smoothed out at some stage.

I get your theory about the floor between high dunes being less "crumpled," and Balmedie is a good example... but, were those fairways not artifically smoothed during construction to make the course "fairer" (in an American sort of way) to attract a professional event? I thought I read that somewhere.

I don't remember other non-manufactured courses I have seen with deep dune valleys having less crumpled fairways. For example, in Ireland I didn't think Ballybunion, Carne or Portstuart had less crumpled fairways between their massive dunes. Maybe it's an Irish thing!  ;D

In any case, I wasn't trying to beat up Birkdale as I really like the course and consider it one of my very favorite to play. I was just curious if there has been a concerted effort to "iron out" the randomness one usually finds on a natural links.

Has anyone ever tried to produce a metric of "fairway non-levelness?"  How much do fairway slopes count in the "slope rating?"

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:46 AM »
Mike,

You might be thinking of the back nine at Hillside although you are probably right that Birkdale had some smoothing happen in places. Most links courses do - Balmedie certainly did - all the holes there were capped and shaped.

The new holes at Portrush also did. The 8th fairway was violent before they built it. Too much so although I'd much prefer to have seen them round the peaks and smooth the troughs in situ....

Whilst dune slacks and valleys are generally smoother than dune ridges, they can still be very undulating.

My own personal preference is that I HATE to see flattening for any other reason than the inability to maintain. Hence mow the fairway out and then alter only where you can't get a fairway mower to cut the grass.

Not many architects think along the same lines I'm afraid.... And in fairness, you sometimes (only sometimes on links courses) have to make sure the low points also drain. Certainly this is the case in dune slacks - Even part of the fairway on the 5th at Kilmore needed raising for this reason.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:47:11 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 05:03:58 AM »
Ally,
Interesting what you say about dune slack points, tidal sometimes presumably, and drainage on links courses. Something that 'punters' most likely don't appreciate.
Out of interest, how much did you have to raise the 5th fairway on the Kilmore and how far did you have to move the fill?
Ate

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
Mike

I don't know Birkdale but for a lot of these really old links I think you might be surprised how much soil has been shifted over the years. You will recall on Moray Old that the drive on the 1st you have to negotiate between the bank on the right and the large mound on the left that sits between the 1st and 18th fairways. Well the mound on the left didn't exist and originally all that spoil formed an extension of the right hand bank such that you played over it to the green. Colt didn't like that and got them to shift all that spoil to the left thereby creating a division between the 1st and 18th and making the 1st green visible.

All that work was done manually with spaces and wheelbarrows. Likewise when the entire 18th green was lowered by about 5 feet around about then, it also was done by hand. I suspect over the years larger fairway moguls would have been flattened in similar fashion.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »

Mike,

I have addressed this point in other threads. I know Birkdale pretty well and can assure you the fairways have not been flattened.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
I suspect the practice ground was flattened.
Atb

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

Mike,

I have addressed this point in other threads. I know Birkdale pretty well and can assure you the fairways have not been flattened.

Jon
So, Jon, Birkdale just has "naturally" smoother fairways than most links? It's just a natural feature of the linksland that was found on the site by Hawtree & JH Taylor LTD?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:41 AM »
Was it used by the RAF during the war?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »
I don't think Birkdale was used during the war, but the course has been considerably rebuilt over the years. I can't find my copy of Links along the Line, which would tell me, but this isn't even the original site. I must do some filing!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »

Mike,

Jon
So, Jon, Birkdale just has "naturally" smoother fairways than most links? It's just a natural feature of the linksland that was found on the site by Hawtree & JH Taylor LTD?

Basically yes. I know Birkdale pretty well and have spent many hours in the surrounding dunes. The flat bottomed valleys are found in the surrounding dunes which are untouched by man. Originally, when the club moved to the site the course was routed over some of the bigger dunes but this was altered later as it was found to be too extreme. I can understand why they did not then wish to add extra contours into the new holes.

Josh,

the site was never used by the RAF in WWII

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back