News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Marking Controversy in Irish Open
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
Well Dai, clearly the answer is for all players to take their shoes off before going on the green. I'm sure the green keepers would appreciate that.  ;)

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
The thought chills me to the core! :)
Atb

Rob Marshall

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
Continuous putting would work until your ball comes to rest in a depression. Not to mention standing in another players line. Why not bring back stymies? Aren't they trying to simplify the rules.

The reality is that a player would ask another player to mark his ball if it was in his line to the hole so there is no reason that any ball couldnt be marked.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »

Rod

The continuous putting rule allowed you to mark if you were standing on another player's line.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »
OK apparently I wasn't clear enough in my last post.

What I was trying to ask is, how often does someone actually strike the ball and actually get the backstop effect.  I understand that it could potentially be hit, but when has this actually happened, in a tournament no less?  In my 20+ years of playing golf, I've never seen it actually happen in any of my rounds. Just not understanding why its an issue given its so terribly unlikely to happen.

P.S.  If everyone is on/near the green, and the ball can be marked without undue delay it seems like it should be, but today I was watching in the Open on at least one occasion where a player waited 80 yards back in the fairway for thier partner to go up to the green and mark.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2017, 02:42:48 AM »
Kalen,

Whether or not it happens often isn't surely the point. It's the mentality that you may be able to help - at the expense of the field.
And it happen yesterday. Sergio hit Rickie's ball in the 4th - when it could easily have been marked. It didn't make much difference but that's not the point either.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »
Thomas, I'm just watching Alfie Plant in The Open with a massive Nike swoosh on his hat and shirt.
Either : He's getting paid.
He's not and he's getting ripped off.
Or, he's no a big promise the day he turns pro.

Alfie has a Taylor Made hat today. Is there a message there?! :)
atb

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:46 AM »
Thomas,

I saw that - he's cashing in everywhere! Taylor Made bad too. Did he have that the first two days?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
Mike,
Taylor Made bag with TM and England Golf logo's. Not sure of the details but there is some kind of tie-in between the two organisations.
AP apparently plans to turn pro in Sept.
All round good effort by him.
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
A bit more controversy in The Open...although the guys taking the video thought it was funny...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4115456/rory-mcilroy-missing-golf-ball-in-fan-pocket/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back