News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Photobucket war on us
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:44 PM »
Good grief, I didn't realize that the policy from Photobucket was retroactive. All pictures from previous posts are gone!!

I still can't figure out Google Photos. I went to Google Plus but couldn't figure out how to move the pictures. I can do somethings on my computer as long as it doesn't require getting a new skill.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Good grief, I didn't realize that the policy from Photobucket was retroactive. All pictures from previous posts are gone!!

They are probably still in your photobucket account. Photobucket is just blocking their display.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dunlop_White

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Photobucket has just eliminated all the photos I've used for years to supplement posts in the Discussion Group….effectively compromising the content of entire threads throughout GCA. I could spend $400 annually with Photobucket to restore posts -- or spend days and weeks converting to a new site and re-embedding them back into countless threads. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 01:43:46 AM »
Photobucket has just eliminated all the photos I've used for years to supplement posts in the Discussion Group….effectively compromising the content of entire threads throughout GCA. I could spend $400 annually with Photobucket to restore posts -- or spend days and weeks converting to a new site and re-embedding them back into countless threads.
Please spend the $400 so they can improve their website to consistently allow me to get my pictures back through downloads.  ::)

Pretty fly by night organization.  >:(

Best of luck to you.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Lott

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:59 AM »
You have to be aware of the fact that any service that is provided for free today will cost money tomorrow. If you are not prepared to either pay for a service or move off it once it starts charging, then your best option is to self-host. Which is what I do for my pics. It costs me a few bucks per month to have my own server, which not only hosts photos, but also my email, website and everything else that I wouldn't trust anyone else with.

However, what I don't understand is people getting angry when a free service suddenly starts charging money. That step is inevitable and everyone, who charges money for their work, should know that!

Ulrich

Indeed. But everyone loves free stuff
David Lott

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »

Dunlop,

I highly recommend imageshack, I pay maybe $40-60 a year and the site quality is much better. They gave me a free year in 2013.  I'd recommend u give them a shot.  $400 seems like a shakedown.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Imageshack could work nicely moving forward. However, I would need to spend days and weeks re-embedding all the old photos into old threads, which are now compromised without them. Looks like we have no other choice.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Imageshack could work nicely moving forward. However, I would need to spend days and weeks re-embedding all the old photos into old threads, which are now compromised without them. Looks like we have no other choice.

Dunlop,

Before you do all that work you might ask Ran if he has any data on people visiting old threads. This site is even set up to deter people from posting on old threads. On an attempt you are asked if you really, really want to add anything new.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »
I am not complaining but my pictures haven't disappeared.  Wonder why?

Bart

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
I stopped using photobucket a long time ago, way too many adds.

I use imageBB.com, totally free and quite simple to use.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
I have a lot of photos now blocked on Photobucket. But I've got loads more which have not been seen including old colour slides scanned. I should be very happy to share these with GCA folk if someone would send me instructions for posting them. I have a mixed bunch of old slides which have lost their captions, so we might have some fun identifying them! They're mostly British but there are a few European and American ones, although I am not sure how many of the American ones I am allowed to post - certainly not Winged Foot.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
I tried to post a photo using Google photos but no luck. When I right click I don't see "copy image location." I do see "copy image address" but when I paste the link no picture comes up just a long series of letters and numbers.

You have to move it to your G+ account, make it public and post as before. The default image is smaller, so change the initial block  to "img width=800" (don't use the quotes,  use [ and ] - I have to use the quotes here so you see them).

Reposting for Mark Rowlinson.

Google has lots of money, and this seems to work free of charge, for now.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Joe Hancock

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
Instead of all this discussion about which site to host photo's for fee or free, shouldn't we just pay Ran to upgrade and host our photo downloads directly? Todays free site might be the the next PhotoBucket tomorrow. Dunlops example is the perfect reason to let GCA.com host, that way the photos are always there, unless the website disbands altogether, making all this a moot point.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:50 AM »
I have been served notice....another month or so and 3rd party hosting disappears. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Neil White

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:29 AM »
I have started uploading photos to Facebook ensuring that they are private.

From there I can view the photo and right click to copy the link.

This might suit some of you.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Instead of all this discussion about which site to host photo's for fee or free, shouldn't we just pay Ran to upgrade and host our photo downloads directly? Todays free site might be the the next PhotoBucket tomorrow. Dunlops example is the perfect reason to let GCA.com host, that way the photos are always there, unless the website disbands altogether, making all this a moot point.

Joe,

I'm all for this as this would certainly simplify things. Storage is dirt cheap...its the bandwidth hit you're really paying for.  What would be the cost basis, assuming 100-200 active posters of this site at any given time?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back