News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wuthrich

Phil and Bones
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
What do we make of the announcement that the two are splitting after 25 years together?

Kalen Braley

Re: Phil and Bones
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
Phil has spoken on the matter.

""After 25 very rewarding and memorable years, Bones and I have mutually decided to end our player-caddie relationship." Mickelson wrote. "Our decision is not based on a single incident. We just feel it's the right time for a change."
I think Bones knows Phil is slowing down, and he's not exactly tearing it up anymore at 47.  Seems like if he remains healthy for a few more years he would demolish the Senior tour...

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »
Why the change in, more or less, mid-season?  Will await further info.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
Not to be a gossiper, but it says on his wiki page Bones had both of his knees replaced last fall.  Perhaps its a wear and tear, keeping up kinda thing!

Even caddies gotta hang em up sooner or later and Phil has made him a multi-millionaire!

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »
 8)  I guess they'll have joint custody of the memories... thanks
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Given the amount of TV time their chats were given.
Ratings would have to suffer.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
25 years of excessive traveling and tour lifestyle is enough to wear out the very best. Knee`s are messed up, money in the bank, not difficult to understand.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »
25 years of excessive traveling and tour lifestyle is enough to wear out the very best. Knee`s are messed up, money in the bank, not difficult to understand.

no doubt.
Time to hire his own caddie/valet
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt MacIver

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
Stop - they're both rich, change is good, they both want more Majors, and they both think it would be cool to get one with someone else. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »
Bones is tired..he will do well as a new golf commentator...should be one of the more informed  JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 04:09:19 AM »
Good luck to them both. I hope Bones doesn't pack it in as he's one of the most courteous gentlemen out there and it would be a shame to lose a great ambassador to the sport.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:28:47 AM »
One of my friends who knows both well is buffled, doesn't think it's knee related.
Cave Nil Vino

Joe Schackman

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
Not to be a gossiper, but it says on his wiki page Bones had both of his knees replaced last fall.  Perhaps its a wear and tear, keeping up kinda thing!

Even caddies gotta hang em up sooner or later and Phil has made him a multi-millionaire!

My guess (totally speculative) is it is a bit the other way around. Phil is slowing down/not-competing as much and Bones either wants to get on a top players bag or move into TV.

Timing is still odd though.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
What is so odd about the timing? Phil just skipped the US Open.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
Bones may want to get into announcing/commentating. I've seen that floated in several places.

Phil could just figure it's a good time to get his brother on the bag, too, as he's slowing down a little.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
What is so odd about the timing? Phil just skipped the US Open.

It feels odd because I don't seem to be able to answer "why now?"

Just seems like an "off-season" move to me. Same way that firing a coach in the middle of a football/baseball season in non-desperation mode would be odd. They still have 2 majors left in 2017.

And while I guess a player like Rory could just fire his caddie and roll with Bones for the rest of the year I'm not sure I see that happening among the top guys. Maybe Rahm?

Also some reports have said that Bones and Phil decided this a little while ago so guessing the US Open was probably going to be a "last ride" and not a "last straw".

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
Or perhaps Bones got a clear view of where Phil's priorities lie when Phil chose his daughters high school graduation over him. Man love consummated through loyalty becomes ever more fragile through success over a long period of time.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
Or perhaps Bones got a clear view of where Phil's priorities lie when Phil chose his daughters high school graduation over him. Man love consummated through loyalty becomes ever more fragile through success over a long period of time.

Hell hath no fury like a caddie scorned?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
Like many great rock bands it's a story as old as time.

Keith Grande

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
At least he's not having his wife carry the bag.  Kudos Phil!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Luckily for us, we haven't had any success together. It spares us the pain of separation. Sometimes it is better never to have loved.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
Luckily for us, we haven't had any success together. It spares us the pain of separation. Sometimes it is better never to have loved.

I would agree if not for that piece of ass or bag of cash.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Does anyone really think this is permanent? As soon as Phil goes through a prolonged slump he'll come to Bones with a reconciliation rose.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
I don't buy for a second this is about Phil skipping the US Open....

I too am surprised by the timing, because IIRC even Tiger and Stevie didn't split up mid-season.  The reality is nothing ever lasts forever, things change, circumstances change, priorities shift....but I tip my hat to these guys for being an awesome Batman and Robin combo for so long!!

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »
Bones is tired..he will do well as a new golf commentator...should be one of the more informed  JMO

Interesting - caddie as a commentator. This would be a first, correct? I love the idea - could give a whole new perspective.

Imagine a Johnny Miller - like caddie commentator. "I don't know what he was thinking carrying his bag that way and getting winded. When I was on the bag at the Open at Oakmont, the bags were real leather and weighed 100 pounds, I never broke a sweat. Looks like a total choke job."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back