News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Leaderboard
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »
i don't usually care about leaderboards, but the most of the leaders are yawners. Besides Fowler, Kaymer, and Sergio the others in the top 20 are forgettable. Say anything about the course, the top players, or the set up?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Hancock

Re: Leaderboard
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
My first question is are they really top players if they can't adapt to a course that's different than their weekly norm?

I'll go with top players as my answer, at first blush.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
Tommy:

There are only three major winners in the top 42 players, and one of them is Ernie Els!

WW

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »
I'd blame Ron Whitten.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
I think the days of the great leaderboards are over, regardless of the courses being played. Maybe it's parity, maybe it's money, maybe it's equipment, maybe it's character, maybe it's the clever set-ups - or maybe it's that, despite the increasingly desperate attempts by media outlets to brand a new Big Three or Big Four, the very concept is outdated and obsolete. The championships may still be big, but the champions got smaller. No one (for better or worse) *needs* to win that badly anymore, and so anyone can win on any given week. That's okay, I suppose - especially if you watch golf just for the golf, ie to watch great golf shots. But if it's *stories* you're looking for, you have to rely on the broadcasters and talking heads to create them for you. Sadly, the days of "Do you believe in miracles?" seem to be almost over too -- and certainly the days of "And now, young Mr Weiskopf will have to take it - just as he dished it out a moment ago" are long gone.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:22:21 PM by Peter Pallotta »

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
This thread reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies. 

https://youtu.be/xjicY84RV4c

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
The last 6 majors have had 1st-time major winners. Looks like that trend will continue.

Whose fault is it the top 3-ranked players in the world all missed the cut for the first time in a major in something like 30 years? Maybe it's their fault!   :)

Matthew Essig

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
The last 6 majors have had 1st-time major winners. Looks like that trend will continue.

Whose fault is it the top 3-ranked players in the world all missed the cut for the first time in a major in something like 30 years? Maybe it's their fault!   :)

+1 to both points
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
Leaderboards are like great paintings. By the time the strap hangers know they are great it's too late to buy in.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
Parity and a new course is the answer.

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »
This thread reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies. 

https://youtu.be/xjicY84RV4c

Personally, I'd say this scene is a more appropriate description.

https://youtu.be/KvVKFCP5cCA

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
I happen to think it's a compelling leaderboard-with many, many players in position for a run this weekend
newsflash-Tiger won his last major in 2008
There are 156 players in the field and they get better as a whole every year-much harder to stay on top with the depth out there.

Of the top 3
one had a baby this week...hardly prepared and mind elsewhere(hopefully)
one has been chronically injured and not playing great
and the last has been injured working on how his pecs look in a shirt and not playing well

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »
I happen to think it's a compelling leaderboard-with many, many players in position for a run this weekend
newsflash-Tiger won his last major in 2008
There are 156 players in the field and they get better as a whole every year-much harder to stay on top with the depth out there.

+1-Loved watching it so far and can't wait for the final round.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
Lots of young, strong bombers in the mix, but the guy on top after Saturday is one of the shortest hitters left on Tour [who can putt like nobody's business].  So there is a mix of players.

You can't blame it on the course that the Big Three were all playing poorly coming in.

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »
Of the top 3
one had a baby this week...hardly prepared and mind elsewhere(hopefully)
one has been chronically injured and not playing great
and the last has been injured working on how his pecs look in a shirt and not playing well

Maybe this shows that the rankings rely too much on past performance and not enough on form going into the tournament. Just a thought.

Niall

Don Jordan

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
The leader board is packed with form players - JT was the hottest golfer on the planet a few months back as was Matsuyama. Tommy Fleetwood has been going well as has Brooks and Rickie.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:31 AM »
Times change

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
The leader board is packed with form players - JT was the hottest golfer on the planet a few months back as was Matsuyama. Tommy Fleetwood has been going well as has Brooks and Rickie.

+1 and the last 6 majors had first time winners.
get used to it-156 players in the field.

This is not Jack Nicklaus against 30-40 good players(many of whom were deemed great because the racked up multiple majors against same thin fields) and 60 club pros
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back