News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-michael-moore/

There have been a flurry of posts about golf in Maine that have piqued my interest and so that's where we head this month. Michael Moore, Secretary of the Maine State Golf Association, is our Down East guide. He’s played ~70 courses across the state, and there is no better, more knowledgeable advocate for the Pine Tree state. His frank but folksy writing style seems to perfectly fit the subject matter – I am reminded of Harry Truman and Plain Speaking - you are glad he is at the helm.

This May interview is tied to the release this week of The Game is Here to Stay by John Galluzzo, a book commissioned by the MSGA on the occasion of its 100th anniversary. As you peruse it, see if you aren’t struck by how more akin Maine golf seems to be to golf in the UK than the US. Maine golf dazzles with fewer superfluous distractions while the courses enjoy a strong sense of place, right down to their delightful names.

After having read the GCA posts and the book, I am more optimistic than ever that golf’s 'nuclear arms' race is mercifully ebbing. The quest for bigger and ‘mega-majestic’  ::)  may be passing as developers realize that golf is a terrific way to lose a lot of money quickly. Common sense has a way of ultimately prevailing and the American golfer in particular has grown weary of footing the bill for extravagance. Read this interview and buy the book at http://www.mesga.org/book and you'll see that there is an admirable balance achieved by presenting the game in a most enjoyable manner while not overspending.

Different people seek different things from the sport but if you like history, enjoy great architecture, cherish (mostly) un-altered period architecture, admire Donald Ross, Wayne Stiles, Walter Travis or Herbert Leeds, fancy walking 6,000 yard courses in under 3 hours, like the opportunity to play hickory golf, or value affordable golf, then Maine and this Feature Interview with Michael Moore and The Game is Here to Stay are for you.

Best,
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:55:50 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Tom_Doak

Re: Feature Interview with Michael Moore on Maine golf is posted
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
My favorite part about meeting Michael is that the expert on Maine met me to play golf in New Hampshire, and then recommended another course even further afield over dinner.  And he picked up the check when I bolted to go check it out!

It's hard to imagine any modern developer building a course like all the little gems you can find across New England, which is a great illustration of the differences between the golf BUSINESS and the health of the game.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Could Michael give me some info on the golf course at Sorrento, Maine, which was built when it separated from the town of Sullivan, Maine ?

I just read the book on "Frank Jones", chapter on "Catering to the rich" where it describes the "delightful little course remained virtually unchanged for more than sixty years.  Finally, the Smiths expanded the course to 18 holes.  Exactly what Jones did first is hard to figure out, but in 1899, two years before Portsmouth Country Club came into being, he added a 20-acre field, which made the drives more interesting.  The turf is fine and not equalled by that of any course, and the natural hazards are interesting and difficult".  Modern hackers won't argue with that later statement.  It is probable that Jones bought the larger part of his golf club tract from John W. Woods as far back as 1883 for $10,500,  Its also logical to assume that in designing the links he used the services of the golfer in his growing family, "Buck" Whittemore.

Interesting association of "Buck" with Francis Ouimet at TCC, as mentioned in his book "A Game of Golf" !
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:10:57 PM by Willie_Dow »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
On our first trip to Maine as a family, my wife asked, "Can we get lobster this week?" I think we had had it every night and once with pancakes for breakfast!!

Thanks to Ran for introducing me to Maine golf via Mr Moore. I really love it up there and have two trips on the schedule so far for 2017 including a wedding in Acadia in July. Hope to get back to the fabulous Northeast Harbor:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:13:36 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the mentions...and great pic Mike! (I know the photog).

Can't wait to read the book!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Maine is heaven. 

Mr. Moore provides an insightful, delightful look inside the pearly gates.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
Maine is heaven. 

Mr. Moore provides an insightful, delightful look inside the pearly gates.

+1
need to get back
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 05:47:43 AM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-michael-moore/

Different people seek different things from the sport but if you like history, enjoy great architecture, cherish (mostly) un-altered period architecture, admire Donald Ross, Wayne Stiles, Walter Travis or Herbert Leeds, fancy walking 6,000 yard courses in under 3 hours, like the opportunity to play hickory golf, or value affordable golf, then Maine and this Feature Interview with Michael Moore and The Game is Here to Stay are for you.

Best,

With prompt delivery from Maine, I shall dive into the book on this washout of golfing Saturday:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:55:05 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 04:55:40 AM »

"Golf's Most Beloved" is headed to Maine for Memorial Day weekend.

Mission accomplished with a Summit Meeting in Portland, Maine last night:

Michael Moore, Michael Dutton, and Ran Morrissett

I thanked Ran last night for the fun, friendships, and cast of characters that GCA has provided to me over the years. There is some rain in the forecast for today and Golf's Most Beloved has been on a whirlwind tour. As this is my only golf day, we will don the rain gear and carry on.

Happy Memorial Day

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Unfortunately for me, I have only had 1 round in Maine a few summers ago. My wife and I walked 18 afternoon holes at Cape Arundel and I did not want to leave. I can't wait to get back up there to play many more.

how to upload image on internet
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:30:20 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 05:17:10 AM »
After an epic barnstorm of Maine by "Golf's Most Beloved" hosted by Mr Moore, the weekend ended with a match at Prout's Neck refereed by the author:

Prout's Neck delivered with English style weather for the match:

One participant played with his hickories in a GCA appropriate bag:

The match came down the 18th hole:

And the participants will remain friends off the course, and fierce competitors on the course:

Another chapter for the history of the Maine State Golf Association now in its second decade:

http://www.mesga.org/club/scripts/library/view_document.asp?CLNK=1&GRP=24959&NS=SCHOLAR&DID=175106&APP=80
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:22:15 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back