News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Anyone talking about Golfweek ratings?
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
find it quite humorous that The Alotian is in their top 20, but so many people on this site had a hissy fit that The Alotian was even in the Golf Digest ratings. Comical actually. I am not saying The Alotian is not worthy or is worthy. It is funny that such a horrendous cartball fiasco would make the GW top 20. Thoughts?
Mr Hurricane

Terry Lavin

Re: Anyone talking about Golfweek ratings?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
Maybe they will buy ad space.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
"Like" button to Jim's post  ;D
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
Alotian was at #14 on the Golf Digest list a couple of years ago.

Jim-I would infer by your last sentence that you deem Alotian as "unworthy".

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »
It puts Alotian in the basket or it gets the hose again. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:03:40 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
find it quite humorous that The Alotian is in their top 20, but so many people on this site had a hissy fit that The Alotian was even in the Golf Digest ratings. Comical actually. I am not saying The Alotian is not worthy or is worthy. It is funny that such a horrendous cartball fiasco would make the GW top 20. Thoughts?

Jim,

More interesting to me is the complete absence of the likes of Canyata, Rich Harvest Links, The Preserve,and Erin Hills., yet the inclusion of the ever-charming Kingsley Club, Rock Creek Cattle and Desert Forest (inside their Top 50). I believe the GW folks do a relatively good job v. the GD list. Maybe it's the fact that Brad actually understands that those with handicaps north of 5 aren't woefully myopic?

PS....I actually enjoy the dripping sarcasm.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
Damn...how did we miss Rich Harvest Links??   :'(

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
GD has a whole mess of misses for sure, but The Alotian just struck me as funny. It was the poster child for whatever was wrong with the GD ranking and now it is top 20 GW. And NO ONE here is talking about it. Oh the irony.

I do not have an issue with The Alotian. Some of the other courses mentioned maybe. And especially Rock Creek Cattle not being Top 100 still irks me about the GD ratings.
Mr Hurricane

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »

Jim,

More interesting to me is the complete absence of the likes of Canyata, Rich Harvest Links, The Preserve,and Erin Hills., yet the inclusion of the ever-charming Kingsley Club, Rock Creek Cattle and Desert Forest (inside their Top 50). I believe the GW folks do a relatively good job v. the GD list. Maybe it's the fact that Brad actually understands that those with handicaps north of 5 aren't woefully myopic?

PS....I actually enjoy the dripping sarcasm.

Pikewood National is another one that gets ripped often around here

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
I think Pikewood is pretty awesome.

It's main qualities are it's rugged land, fast greens, and difficulty...but it's walking only and a pretty pure traditional golf experience.

I suppose #32 among moderns might be a touch high, but really not by much.  I played terrible but really liked it, and I hope I get another chance someday.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50:10 PM »
It's all a big scam in my opinion. Do they rank buildings, or art work? Heck no.  The RCCC is an excellent course, and loads of fun, but what's the point of "ranking" it?  Is it about ego? Is it about money?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »
GD has a whole mess of misses for sure, but The Alotian just struck me as funny. It was the poster child for whatever was wrong with the GD ranking and now it is top 20 GW. And NO ONE here is talking about it. Oh the irony.

I do not have an issue with The Alotian. Some of the other courses mentioned maybe. And especially Rock Creek Cattle not being Top 100 still irks me about the GD ratings.

Jim,

I appreciate the good-natured ribbing related to The Alotian and hope you appreciate my attempts at humor in return.   

I haven't played there but understand it must be pretty good if both GW and GD rate it favorably.   Perhaps peace might be possible in the middle east, after all.   ;)

I honestly haven't seen anything compelling from pictures and I'm an inveterate walker but again, I haven't played it so I must be missing something with all the favorable opinions from our respective rating teams.

Michael George

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »
Mike:

I have not played Alotian, but I love the look of this hole:

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
It is a list.  I read it.  There was a list last year and will be one next.  I can't be arsed to care very much.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »
I don't know why but the phrase that came to mind is "rearranging the deck chairs." :)

Is it possible we have reached Peak Rankings and crossed over to the downhill slope where people (apart from the raters themselves, of course) stop caring about them anymore?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
After reading this article, which oddly claims that GolfWeek raters visit courses anonymously, it is clear the vocation is toast:

http://golfweek.com/2017/03/30/masters-course-augusta-rated/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
Actually John, that article says that the raters EVALUATE the courses anonymously, as in, they don't out their numbers in print for all to see.  Although I'm sure they don't mind if many people make the same mistake you did.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
Actually John, that article says that the raters EVALUATE the courses anonymously, as in, they don't out their numbers in print for all to see.  Although I'm sure they don't mind if many people make the same mistake you did.

Considering the extremes the author took to describe how each rater accessed Augusta his intent could be argued. It is also interesting trying to "unmask" the raters given their locations are provided. Really, how many GolfWeek guys from Iowa have played Augusta?

V_Halyard

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »

Considering the extremes the author took to describe how each rater accessed Augusta his intent could be argued. It is also interesting trying to "unmask" the raters given their locations are provided. Really, how many GolfWeek guys from Iowa have played Augusta?

Lol.  More than you might imagine.  I'll send them your message.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:45:45 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »
V,

True, but he is also the guy who acts like he wasn't impressed. I bet I could pick him out of a lineup. We have three points...Rater, Iowa and not impressed at his chance to play Augusts. I'm sure the member that hosted him is proud.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:26 PM »
Vaughn,

Classic, great post. 

John,

Is there something wrong with not having it in your top 5?  I have buddies who have played it.  One has played it twice and it isn't in his top 10. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »
V,

True, but he is also the guy who acts like he wasn't impressed. I bet I could pick him out of a lineup. We have three points...Rater, Iowa and not impressed at his chance to play Augusts. I'm sure the member that hosted him is proud.

Ha, no drama or offense taken, it was more about the Iowa. We get flown over all the time so just saying the name out loud in any context other than corn or hogs is always good for a laugh! Thank God Tom came through last year or else we would seem like a golf quarantine. I actually didn't read the Augusta quote but I am also sure given your description, I bet I know which one it was. Lol
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »
V,

Ha, no drama or offense taken, it was more about the phonetics of our state, "Iowa". We get flown over all the time so just saying the name out loud in any context other than corn or hogs is always good for a laugh! Thank God Tom came through last year or else we would seem like a golf-free quarantine. I actually didn't read the Augusta quote but I am also sure given your description, I bet I know which one it was. Lol.  Now having read it, I'm thinking he was rating the course as a rater in comparison to some of the classic courses we discuss here.  He did stress it was unsurpassed as a total experience. Great guy and a friend of the cause... but I have been known to throw him some s#it from time to time, so no worries!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:56:46 PM by V_Halyard »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »
Vaughn,

Classic, great post. 

John,

Is there something wrong with not having it in your top 5?  I have buddies who have played it.  One has played it twice and it isn't in his top 10.

Yes there is something wrong with not having ANGC in the top 5 courses you have played. You lose all credibility and come off as nothing more than a blowhard. You can't discuss religion with someone who tells you about the time he pissed on a crucifix in church.

V_Halyard

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
Vaughn,

Classic, great post. 

John,

Yes there is something wrong with not having ANGC in the top 5 courses you have played. You lose all credibility and come off as nothing more than a blowhard. You can't discuss religion with someone who tells you about the time he pissed on a crucifix in church.

Ouch! so...    wet!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back