News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Re: Masters TV coverage
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
A pair of chokers down the stretch which was oddly fitting as it seemed nobody could make a putt all day. Sergio's miss on 18 in regulation was as bad as I've seen in a long time. The Mutt Masters.

Surely you would have made that putt.  ::)

You've obviously never played with his honor.  I've never seen him miss anything inside 6 feet.

Even on TV you could tell it was an inside left or left edge putt.  He was aimed right.

It was a bad misread.

The guy wins with a birdie putt in a playoff and he's still a choker. Goodness. Choking all the way to his Paella Champions' Dinner in 2018.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:37:58 PM by John Connolly »
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »

Call it what you want, his read on a short putt to win a major had it breaking the wrong way.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matthew Essig

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2017, 01:27:40 AM »

Call it what you want, his read on a short putt to win a major had it breaking the wrong way.

To be fair, he said in his press conference that he and his caddy tested that exact putt in the practice rounds two or three times, and every time it was a right-edge putt. How it broke right is beyond him and his caddy.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Willie_Dow

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2017, 02:30:51 AM »
Just loved to watch the putts, all week, by all players.  What a great display of green keepers management of historical conditions.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2017, 03:03:57 AM »

To be fair, he said in his press conference that he and his caddy tested that exact putt in the practice rounds two or three times, and every time it was a right-edge putt. How it broke right is beyond him and his caddy.
Got to wonder why he bothered practicing that putt when he could just have asked a few people on here. Fancy relying on your own judgment.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2017, 03:06:48 AM »
Having watched the first three rounds on Sky we were in a hotel in the Lakes, so had to watch on the BBC last night.  Peter Alliss is now beyond a parody of himself and there's an unpleasant judgmental air that has come into his commentary which makes him unpleasant, rather than merely annoying, to listen too.  Time to retire, Peter, while some of us remember how good you were a long time ago.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:56 AM »
Having watched the first three rounds on Sky we were in a hotel in the Lakes, so had to watch on the BBC last night.  Peter Alliss is now beyond a parody of himself and there's an unpleasant judgmental air that has come into his commentary which makes him unpleasant, rather than merely annoying, to listen too.  Time to retire, Peter, while some of us remember how good you were a long time ago.

Hater  8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:28 AM »

Even at his best Alliss was only a poor man's Longhurst. And you can see from his commentary why all the golf courses he's been involved with 'designing' are lousy -- every time a ball lands near a hole and rolls away down a slope or because the green is firm it's unfair or wrong.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2017, 04:59:25 AM »

Sven,

whilst his putt was not the most convincing stroke ever I doubt that many of us (including you) on this site could manage to mark and replace the ball properly let alone make a decent attempt at the putt. It is easy to make mocking and derisory comments from the sidelines but maybe you should wait until you have walked in his shoes.

Mark,

I always liked PA's commentary up until about 10 years ago but I agree with you that a note of sourness has crept in recently. Time for him to retire I suspect.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »
Does Sandy Lyle's putt creep back a little from right-to-left at the very end?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXVFMoWrn8

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
A pair of chokers down the stretch which was oddly fitting as it seemed nobody could make a putt all day. Sergio's miss on 18 in regulation was as bad as I've seen in a long time. The Mutt Masters.

Two guys leading the Masters,-one with a Normanesque yoke around his legacy, shoot 7 under for 38 holes collectively,the best golf played as a twosome ALL  day ....and somehow that's  choking....... ???
A great Masters.
A great battle,
Great sportsmanship.
His putt on 16 went absolutely sideways and unless you risk running 10 feet by, is really, really hard to get speed and line exactly right.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:09:12 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 07:21:32 AM »
I just want to know how the hell traveling on Masters Sunday got so good. Watching on Masters.com in the car and then Southwest Wifi in the air.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 07:34:02 AM »

Atb

I think the putt at the end of regulation was a straight putt that Sergio pushed right. He will always believe it should have broken left but fortunately he will not have to live with that putt for very long.

BCowan

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »

Atb

I think the putt at the end of regulation was a straight putt that Sergio pushed right. He will always believe it should have broken left but fortunately he will not have to live with that putt for very long.

Sorry, but that didn't look like a push, he played it right edge or just outside and hit it where he was aimed. 

Hitting driver and playing a fade off 13 was a poor decision IMO.  His strength is moving it right to left.  This was the most exciting Masters in some time.  Congrats El Nino. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »

Sven,

It is easy to make mocking and derisory comments from the sidelines but maybe you should wait until you have walked in his shoes.

Jon

What mocking and derisory comments did I make on this thread other than to say it was a misread, which I consider hardly mocking or derisory.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Gallant

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »

Even at his best Alliss was only a poor man's Longhurst. And you can see from his commentary why all the golf courses he's been involved with 'designing' are lousy -- every time a ball lands near a hole and rolls away down a slope or because the green is firm it's unfair or wrong.

I have a very strong affection for Peter Alliss and think we will miss him greatly when he is gone. As has been pointed out many times before, Alliss succeeds in that he brings the setting to life and lets the golf do most of the talking. I don't care much for pundits who overanalyse swings and use hyperbole in every sentence. Additionally, his voice is smooth as silk.  I am of the 'younger' generation, and agree with Ken Brown who said there will never be another like Mr. Alliss. I'll take him, Mr. Brown and Ms. Irvine any day of the week.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
I'm thinking (hoping) Sergio offers up an outstanding selection of Tapas (paella can be one course) at next years Champions Dinner, washed down with  Castillo d’Ygay Gran Reserva Especial Rioja.
Danny Willet went with the 2012 Caymus, an excellent choice.

V_Halyard

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »

In the spirit of the thread, I suggest a shot of Patron.

Patron and Pimento
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »

Hitting driver and playing a fade off 13 was a poor decision IMO.  His strength is moving it right to left. 

Pretty sure he was playing a power fade all week, including on 13. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »

Hitting driver and playing a fade off 13 was a poor decision IMO.  His strength is moving it right to left. 

A decision he had used all week
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
Sergio hit his putt on 72nd exactly where he aimed it.  Not sure how he could have misread it so badly but don't think it was a choke. And he made a number of clutch shots earlier...and later.  He won because, over the course of 19 holes, he was the steadier player.  I am happy for him.  He is a deserving champion.

Justin Rose has been a personal favorite of mine.  Beautiful swing, thoughtful, and articulate.  He had the green jacket in his hands but couldn't put it on.  But the class he displayed during the round, and in losing, is exemplary.  I admire him even more now.  He will win another major.

Spieth hit the nail on the head when he said performing under such pressure requires acceptance that doing what is necessary to win will sometimes lead to defeat.  He was undone, it seemed, by trying to be too aggressive on many approach shots and too aggressive on his putting lines, trying to take out the break.  Perhaps he had decided that, given the conditions, Garcia and Rose were likely to shoot in the 60s, meaning he had to be in the mid-60s to have a chance.  Spieth went for the win but didn't have the precision to carry it off.

The tone of the coverage IS cloying...and correspondingly annoying...at times.  Worse yet, it is often not all that insightful.  For me, Dottie Pepper and Peter Kostis are the best of the lot.  I prefer either to Faldo.  Although Lundquist has made some great calls over the years, he has lost a step.  Time to retire gracefully.

As for ANGC, it may not be perfect from an architectural standpoint...and much of Mac's original design is long gone...but it proves to be an incredible stage year after year.  In this year's difficult, and varying, conditions, the course rewarded excellence even while providing a stiff challenge.  The people who set up the course do a marvelous job...even if they do have an unlimited budget and set an example that can't, and shouldn't, be emulated elsewhere.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
In spite of many past efforts to undo it, the genius of the Mac routing over challenging terrain lives on ..............

The broadcast is tolerable only because it is once a year and the viewer knows what to expect.  Way to painful to repeat week after week ... or even a couple of times during the year.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:08:31 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Terry Lavin

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Of course he played a power fade all week.  It only failed him a few times.  Sergio has suffered over the years from a number of maladies, whether it's personality (a certain smugness and/or hubris, i.e., spitting in the cup at a tour event), an overly-wrought-preshot-milking-the-club routine and, of course, a halting, balking, fearful putting stroke.  Stan Utley, among others has tried to assist in that regard. 

But he's never lacked ball-striking talent.  And he's always been the kind of guy that people pulled for, especially as his major drought went on.  Like many, I cheered for the guy.  I wanted him to win more and I wanted him to win yesterday.  When he got to the two-shot lead after the fifth hole (IIRC), I really thought he was going to seize the moment.  But then he missed at least three makeable putts from around 5 feet or so, and he missed them in the old Sergio way, with a weak stroke that pushed the ball wobbling to the left or right in a manner that suggested nerves (uh, duh, of course he was nervous) or a badly read line. 

A lot of players missed putts yesterday.  But Sergio had this tournament in his grasp and he almost let it slip away.  So did Norman, back in the day.  So did Spieth, just last year.  It happens.  But when it does, I simply don't think there's anything wrong with making the observation or offering the judgment.  I think commentators should do it more often.  Johnny Miller (yeah, he annoys me too), is one of the few that will utter the word choke on a telecast.

The reason I got so pissed yesterday is that I was loudly cheering for Sergio.  Not because I dislike Rose, but I emotionally wanted the Spaniard to get the goddamned monkey off his back.  When he missed makeable putts, I was screaming at the television.  When Rose missed at 18 and, in a very gentlemanly fashion, finished out without marking his ball, giving Garcia his moment, I was shocked at Rose's miss, but felt that Sergio could finally expiate his angst-ridden history at the majors.  Then he shove-wobbled the putt to the right.  It was a stroke like one I've made hundreds of times when faced with an important putt.  Their combined experience at the 18th green was incredibly familiar to me, as I've observed grown men puking over five footers for decades at various club events that I've played in.  It happens. But this was to win a Green Jacket.  This reminded me instantly of Doug Sanders in the 1970 Open Championship when he shingled his 18 inch putt and lost the Championship.

I'm sure that most of you continued to watch the playoff.  I was so steamed at both of these great professionals that I took the dog for a long walk.  I haven't even looked at any of the video of the playoff hole but heard about Rose's troubles off the tee and learned that Sergio stiffed yet another iron and had an easy two-putt for the victory.  It was heartening to hear that he made the birdie putt, because I wouldn't have wanted the putter in his hands if he needed to make a comebacker if it lipped out and trundled down the green.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:55:02 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

A decision he had used all week

Right, that's what I meant by "all week."   ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
As the owner of 4K UHD TV, I was impressed with Direct TV's coverage on " Amen Corner" & 15/16. The picture is much sharper than regular HD. Other than the picture quality, the same old, same old traditional stuff. I didn't get a Patron or even a Ketel as I prefer Kirkland.

We all should have followed Ben Crenshaw's advice after playing a round with Sergio last week and bet on Sergio.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back