News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Masters TV coverage
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
A few rumblings on social media are suggesting his drop wasn't kosher.

His drop was kosher because he did it next to a rules official and his playing partner had the opportunity to watch it. Anything else required? ;D

Matthew Rose

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »

Yep, looks like a non-story.

For the sanity of everyone, that's a good thing.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

noonan

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
Sergio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Rose - class act!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
A pair of chokers down the stretch which was oddly fitting as it seemed nobody could make a putt all day. Sergio's miss on 18 in regulation was as bad as I've seen in a long time. The Mutt Masters.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
What a jaded group this board is.

Congrats Sergio, never been a fan but today I was.

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »
 8)  I thought Sergio's eagle putt on 15 was oddly appropriate, and his last one... he's human by all measures and who cares now, he looks good in that green jacket, smiling wide, glad to see him get his first major there, and pressure at that level is certainly a bit more than most will ever experience over a 6 ft putt
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John McCarthy

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »
As far as The Master's coverage goes:. I want all the Blue Pills.  I don't care if it is cloying and fake.  I know it is.  But I still love it. 

I have also spent most of my adult life disliking Sergio.  Now I like him.  I like his fiance's skirt much more. 

Back nine was compelling, all I wanted.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

David Kelly

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
A pair of chokers down the stretch which was oddly fitting as it seemed nobody could make a putt all day. Sergio's miss on 18 in regulation was as bad as I've seen in a long time. The Mutt Masters.
Are you using a pipe or are you on the needle?  Garcia's clutch putts on 13, 14, & 15 (first eagle on 15 by a winner in 23 years) don't count but his pars on 16 & 18 were chokes?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »

CBS hit it out of the park down the stretch.

And now the best player who hasn't won a major (not including The Players) is? Fowler? Westwood? Someone else?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Are you using a pipe or are you on the needle?  Garcia's clutch putts on 13, 14, & 15 (first eagle on 15 by a winner in 23 years) don't count but his pars on 16 & 18 were chokes?

Tough guy with your blogging thumb, eh?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Nugent

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 08:21:55 PM »

Shooting 3 under over the last 5 holes, as Sergio did, is choking?

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »

Short memory, forget 2015 Chambers Bay?

I'm not willing to label or judge a player based on two pressure misses on 16 and 18. In fact, based on the dynamic nature of the golf course this week, I think Sergio was the most complete winner in some time.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »
He choked up his lead by missing three six footers earlier in the round. At the end of regulation he wobbled a three footer. His fellow competitor gagged on the last two in regulation. Sergio was a stud into the green on his last seven or so shots. But he could've and should've had a big lead going into the last four holes. He is lucky that Rose got twitchy too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:32:08 PM by Terry Lavin »

David Kelly

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »

Not tough at all, fairly weak I'd imagine, but I'm able to identify an idiotic "hot take" when I see one.  Go post that nonsense on ESPN.com or BombSquad.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »

Not tough at all, fairly weak I'd imagine, but I'm able to identify an idiotic "hot take" when I see one.  Go post that nonsense on ESPN.com or BombSquad.

Never been on either site but at least we agree on something.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
You'all think TMOTH want any couch potato rules official calling anything in and ruining their event?  I'm willing to bet anyone a Patron Billy Payne let CBS and TGC know " no zoom lenses on anything; we're not going to have someone ruin The Invitational".

Look at the shot Sergio hit on Saturday into the hazard on #13.... no zoom to see if he came anywhere close to grounding the club in the hazard.

Except when they zoomed in when Sergio was clearing pine needles and someone reported the ball moved and it wasn't until 17 that it was stated that no penalty would be given
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
Peter,

I'll take your use of the word "sublest" to mean "least effectual." I'm as sanguine about the evolution of the English language as the next guy. But frankly, preaching literate on the use of the word "hater" seems to rub me the wrong way. Sorry, it just does. If you want to pull the world's problems into this thread like a wet noodle across a dry table, enjoy yourself. I'm in jolly mood and I'm going to make pimento cheese sandwiches.

For what its worth, I agree with Pietro.  Folks that throw around the "hater" dart at every opportunity to put down folks whose opinion is different is pathetic.

Terry

69 to win it is hardly a choking.  Yep, Sergio left some shots on the course, but he also stole some shots. Playing left on 13 convinced me Sergio was in it to win it...that line is not one for chokers.  I was never more pleased to scramble par. 

Its not too bad watching the Masters on the Beeb. Much of the moosh is not aired and I skip anything remotely like moosh anyway...never watch golf live.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:46:14 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »
That was awesome!!

Very happy to see Sergio win.
H.P.S.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
I'm sure Lexi's stalker called into CBS about the Sergio's drop on #13 today; after all he's infamous in his own little circle.

Glad to see TMOTM were having none of this.

Next chance for Lexi's favorite fan and his posse is in June when the lads are playing @ Erin Hills. The blue blazers will entertain every nutcase calling in to with a beef so they "can defend par."

BHoover

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »

Surely you would have made that putt.  ::)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
The racial profiling of Sergio was out of hand. Is every Spaniard a matador?

David Lott

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
The coverage is cloying, deferential and reverential to an amazingly offensive level. I am so sick of the ass kissing tone ...

It's in the contract.
David Lott

David Lott

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
You'all think TMOTH want any couch potato rules official calling anything in and ruining their event?  I'm willing to bet anyone a Patron Billy Payne let CBS and TGC know " no zoom lenses on anything; we're not going to have someone ruin The Invitational".

Look at the shot Sergio hit on Saturday into the hazard on #13.... no zoom to see if he came anywhere close to grounding the club in the hazard.

Because he wasn't in the hazard perhaps?
David Lott

John Connolly

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »
The racial profiling of Sergio was out of hand. Is every Spaniard a matador?

Probably not. But he sure is.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »

Surely you would have made that putt.  ::)

You've obviously never played with his honor.  I've never seen him miss anything inside 6 feet.

Even on TV you could tell it was an inside left or left edge putt.  He was aimed right.

It was a bad misread.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back