News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Golf in Alaska- OT
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »
Any suggestions for noteworthy golf courses worth playing? We have a family trip up there for a couple of weeks this Summer. Hoping to get in a few rounds. Thanks for any suggestions, jack

Carl Johnson

Re: Golf in Alaska- OT
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
http://www.palmergolfcourse.com/  "Alaska's Finest" Golf Course (just ask them).  "Palmer" has nothing to do with Arnold.  It's the name of the town.  Never played it, but have driven past.  Looks completely flat.  I noticed they had a significant qualifier for something once at the course.  I would also suggest, without personal experience to back it up, however, that no golf course in Alaska would be "noteworthy."

I know you did not ask the question -- but don't play golf in Alaska.  Take a break.  There's plenty else to see and do there that you can't find other places.  Our daughter lives in Anchorage and we have traveled there many times.  I would never think of playing golf on a trip to Alaska.  The only reason I can think of doing it would be for the novelty -- "Hey, guess what, I've played golf in Alaska!"  Any other questions about tourist ideas, send me a personal message and I will get back to you on them.

Maybe others on this site will have played there and will have an entirely different view of it.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:43:55 PM by Carl Johnson »

Steve Lang

Re: Golf in Alaska- OT New
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »
 8) Played a muni in Anchorage once, try not to tee off after 10:30 PM,  could be bears out there on the back 9!

p.s.  looking at website, it was Anchorage GC on Omalley Road.  Nice walk, back in 1998...  but you're not going there for gca appreciation, just the experience, so enjoy

p.s.s.  Simon & Seafort's had the largest crab legs I've ever seen, we ate there twice... hmmm  but the best burger and milkshakes were in Talkeetna, where you can fly up to see Denali and even land at the climbing base camp
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:10:40 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
http://www.palmergolfcourse.com/  "Alaska's Finest" Golf Course (just ask them).  "Palmer" has nothing to do with Arnold.  It's the name of the town.  Never played it, but have driven past.  Looks completely flat.  I noticed they had a significant qualifier for something once at the course.  I would also suggest, without personal experience to back it up, however, that no golf course in Alaska would be "noteworthy."

I know you did not ask the question -- but don't play golf in Alaska.  Take a break.  There's plenty else to see and do there that you can't find other places.  Our daughter lives in Anchorage and we have traveled there many times.  I would never think of playing golf on a trip to Alaska.  The only reason I can think of doing it would be for the novelty -- "Hey, guess what, I've played golf in Alaska!"  Any other questions about tourist ideas, send me a personal message and I will get back to you on them.

Maybe others on this site will have played there and will have an entirely different view of it.
Carl,   I'm hoping to play golf in all 50 states- not sure if I will get back there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »

Carl,   I'm hoping to play golf in all 50 states- not sure if I will get back there.

One round on that muni and back in the igloo!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »

Go for it.  Then, my advice would be to play the closest one, or the strangest one (if you can figure out what that might be).  Maybe one of these: www.kenaigolfcourse.com/.
http://www.birchridgegolf.com/  (the latter only nine holes)  You'll certainly be on the Kenai Peninsula on your trip.  Again, I have no experience with either course but have driven by signs to them!  On the route to Homer, a must-visit.  Kenai GC is actually off the route a little, in Kenai, which is northwest of Soldotna.

When you return, we need a report on where you played and what it was like.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:38:49 PM by Carl Johnson »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »
We have a family friend in Alaska. He is not a golfer, but he was in the Military (Marines) and this seems to be the default course:

https://www.mooserungolfcourse.com

Very jealous and please post after your trip. My son was up there last summer for 3 weeks and loved it, but the weather was "iffy". Pack like Scotland...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
Carl,

If I had a do over, I would definitely play golf at least once while there. I spent almost 4 weeks in Alaska back in 1998 hiking, camping and exploring all over. What a great place. I had a relative that lived in Brooklyn all of her life, was offered an early retirement at some point from her company. She packed up, and went straight to Anchorage, AK as soon as she possibly could. I say if you can fit it in the schedule, play at least one round. I really regret NOT doing that! I don't know if I will ever get back as there are other places on my bucket list ahead of a return to Alaska.

PS: The Kenai Penninsula is pretty awesome! We camped right on the beach at Homer Spit for 2-3 days.

Mike, That was the Air Force base golf course that I looked into playing while nearby, but passed on it like a fool.

Homer Spit:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:59:39 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
We have a family friend in Alaska. He is not a golfer, but he was in the Military (Marines) and this seems to be the default course:

Very jealous and please post after your trip. My son was up there last summer for 3 weeks and loved it, but the weather was "iffy". Pack like Scotland...

That's where I played a number of years ago.  Teed off at 8:00p and holed out after midnight.  Had a blast.  Spent three months in Alaska and only played twice - lots of other stuff to do!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
I've played one course there - Valley of the Eagles GC, in Haines, reviewed in The Confidential Guide.  They were as welcoming as anyplace I've ever been.  Not an easy place to get to, but one of the most beautiful places I've been.

Keith Grande

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

I just played the "course video" on the main page....there were lovely shots of the creek, not too much of the actual course!!!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
I've never played up there, but my brother lives in Anchorage, so I've been up a few times, including this past summer.  There was a course on the military base that they closed a couple years ago called Eagle Glen.  Ship Creek, which runs near downtown, ran through the course, and a lot of people go Salmon fishing in the near-downtown area.  Just above the fishing area is a dam, above which no fishing is allowed.  You can walk along the top of the dam and see all of the fish that have made it upstream regaining some energy above the dam.  When I was there about 12-13 years ago, you could also see about a thousand golf balls that had come downstream from the course.  Must have cleaned them out after the course closed, because I didn't see any last summer.

We did see a funky little nine-holer just outside of Healy called Black Diamond that looked fun if you're heading up toward Denali.  It's about 10-15 minutes north of the park entrance.  It's also just down the road from 49th State Brewing, which I highly recommend.  They have an Anchorage location as well, but there are better breweries in Anchorage (Midnight Sun, King Street, and if you like sours and wild stuff, Anchorage Brewing).

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
. . . We did see a funky little nine-holer just outside of Healy called Black Diamond that looked fun if you're heading up toward Denali.  It's about 10-15 minutes north of the park entrance. . . .

https://www.blackdiamondtourco.com/golfing.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31007-d1088993-r128337025-Black_Diamond_Resort_Company-Healy_Alaska.html

O.K., now I'm curious.  Maybe next summer (2018) I'll take a "golf vacation" to Alaska.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back