News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Shack goes to USA Today/GolfWeek
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I've always been a fan of Geoff Shackelford's take and website. Although this may have previously been discussed I can't find a thread that references the move. When logging into his site this morning I saw that the split with Golf Digest was effective on March 13th and wonder if there is any other information regarding same. Thoughts or comments?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:29:46 AM by Tim Martin »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Shack goes to USA Today/GolfWeek
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »
GolfWeek throws the first punch in Rater Wars 2017. Modern golf has a West Coast attitude and it will be great to see it represented with a fist of moxy and a touch of class!!!

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »
Details from Geoff (he even responds to a few comments in the comments): http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/3/13/on-joining-the-golfweekusa-today-sports-media-group.html

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:45 PM »
How many subscribers did GolfWeek lose when they went to once a month? Did they cut their price.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
How many subscribers did GolfWeek lose when they went to once a month? Did they cut their price.

I think it's too early for monthly circulation. That's figured twice a year. The last (sorta) weekly figure I saw for Golfweek was 140,000, when it was bought – for next to nothing, I understand – by Gannett. It had been as high as 162,987 in 2014.

The last number I saw for Golf World in print, which Conde' Nast folded in 2014, was 132,090.

At the end of the 30-per-year run last year, a Golfweek 1-year print/digital sub was $44.95; digital only was $19.95.

Now, the pitch is two years of print/digital for $44.95; two years digital only for $34.95; one year combo for $24.95; one year digital only for $19.95.

In the good old days, they printed 50 times a year (as did Golf World). As recently as 2009, Golfweek printed 45 issues annually.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
Shack is Awesome! Love his site, and subscribe to his podcast Shackhouse. Working with him last summer in LA was a pleasure. All the best to him.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
I wonder if he will continue to ban people who disagree with him or who refuse to suck up to him. Very sensitive.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
Terry,

Does your buddy Jeff Rude still work for GolfWeek? It seems to me that a business in trouble rarely pays for new talent without letting some of the more expensive older guys go.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
"Shack" is the golf blogger equivalent of one of these "fake news" sites we are all hearing so much about. He doesn't really contribute any writing or real journalism, it's just funneled news articles with random snippy comments included. Those articles and comments are also disgustingly biased. Gil Hanse course being played on tour? You should watch and admire the spectacular architecture! Rees Jones course? Horrible and you shouldn't bother watching.

He constantly bashes golf courses that he's never stepped foot on, while openly calls for the PGA Championship to be held in the Spring at Doral. Sure  ::)

Now that he's on Callaway's payroll as well he plugs all of their latest junk too on the "Shackhouse podcast": "answer a few questions from the Callaway Community."
H.P.S.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
"Shack" is the golf blogger equivalent of one of these "fake news" sites we are all hearing so much about. He doesn't really contribute any writing or real journalism, it's just funneled news articles with random snippy comments included. Those articles and comments are also disgustingly biased. Gil Hanse course being played on tour? You should watch and admire the spectacular architecture! Rees Jones course? Horrible and you shouldn't bother watching.

He constantly bashes golf courses that he's never stepped foot on, while openly calls for the PGA Championship to be held in the Spring at Doral. Sure  ::)

Now that he's on Callaway's payroll as well he plugs all of their latest junk too on the "Shackhouse podcast": "answer a few questions from the Callaway Community."

Dude .. it's golf ... relax.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »

Dude, I know. The original post asked for comments. Unlike "Shack's" blog, this is a discussion group.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
Rater Wars. Read the comments on Geoff's blog and try not to pick out the Golfweek raters crowing about the demise of Digest. Kinda like Pat Digest couldn't wait to shackitate as soon as he left the mother ship.

I love Rustic Canyon and look forward to its deserving reinclusion to America's Best 100 Modern. Name the terms as I am willing to bet that Rustic is back in the top 100 before Trump vacates the White House.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:55 PM »

Dude, I know. The original post asked for comments. Unlike "Shack's" blog, this is a discussion group.

Well then, your analogy is offensive.  Fake news sites (CNN, MSCBC, you get the gist) use headlines to promote a liberal political agenda.  To comment that anything in golf is even remotely as important as the mainstream media hack job that's taken place in this country can't be taken seriously. 

Geoff knows more about golf in his pinky nail than the vast majority of this site.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Looks like 'Shack' lets Gillette Silver post on his blog comments!
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »
Looks like 'Shack' lets Gillette Silver post on his blog comments!

Shack banned me from his site many, many years ago. He used a sophisticated IP address method. I respected his pure hatred of me and never tried to post again. If there is someone using Gillette Silver please provide a link and I will figure out who they are and develop a proper response.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
Well then, your analogy is offensive.  Fake news sites (CNN, MSCBC, you get the gist) use headlines to promote a liberal political agenda.  To comment that anything in golf is even remotely as important as the mainstream media hack job that's taken place in this country can't be taken seriously.

GOOD THING THAT NO CONSERVATIVE SITES DO LIKEWISE. LEAVE THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS GOLF DISCUSSION GROUP. 

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
I know I am going to regret jumping into this ... but ...

"Fake  news", is literally fake news.  It is sites with names that sound like real news sites, created by people that post completely fictitious articles/stories.  These sites only exist to draw visitors, and thus make money from the advertisers on these sites.

THIS is the "fake news" that the social media companies are trying to weed out.  It REALLY is fake news.  It has nothing to do with slanted opinions, biased reporting, etc.  It is news and stories made up.  It just so happened that more of the fake news sites happened to have stories that drew conservative leaning eyeballs this past year.  But depending on the news of the times, the primary news figures, those creating the sites, and the types of advertising, it can just as easily be drawing more liberal leaning eyeballs in another election cycle.

Sure it should be quickly obvious what are fake news sites.  But, they can still undermine the users experience for those who want use social media sites, and thus is a real problem for the owners of social media sites.

(And I am an extremely limited user of social media.  But if I did have a financial stake in any sort of social media, this would be one of the items of concern to me.  And none of this is intended as any sort of pro or con of social media.  Just like prior new forms of communications, it has its good and bad.  So be it.)

BUT it is not about CNN, Fox, WSJ, NYT, Slate, Drudge, etc.

The FAKE NEWS problem on social media is about news that is purely fake!

Imagine if 5 or 10% of the postings on golfclubatlas were truly and purposely fake.  And not just incorrect rumors, or mixed up facts, but pure fake.  Courses being built, where nothing is happening and no one has ANY Course development plans.  Laws that impact golf course maintenance that do no exist, and have never been proposed.  Books being written that no one has proposed, and not even any research is occurring.

That is what FAKE NEWS is.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

SL_Solow

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
I concur with Ronald.  However one feels about Pat's analogy, this is no place to enter into the morass of partisan politics.  There are plenty of other sites for that discussion.  My comment holds true regardless of where the speaker sits on the political spectrum.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:10 PM »

Geoff knows more about golf in his pinky nail than the vast majority of this site.

The stupid is strong with this one! Thank you for making this thread an instant classic. Well done, sir.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:00:54 AM by Brian Hoover »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

The stupid is strong with this one! Thank you for making this thread an instant classic. Well done, sir.

Nice comment Brian - let me ask:  would you say this to my face?

Mike Wagner

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »

GOOD THING THAT NO CONSERVATIVE SITES DO LIKEWISE. LEAVE THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS GOLF DISCUSSION GROUP. 

Ron - your "all caps scolding" should have been directed at the one who brought the politics onto this thread.

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

I would thank you for making this thread great.

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »

I would gladly say it to your face.  Fake News isn't anything that doesn't confirm your bias, fake news is news that isn't real.

Thus, your comment was stupid.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
I didn't call you stupid.  I said your comment was stupid.  And, I didn't say anything about politics.

Got any other nonsense?  You're batting about 1.000 right now.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
I didn't call you stupid.  I said your comment was stupid.  And, I didn't say anything about politics.

Got any other nonsense?  You're batting about 1.000 right now.

Whatever - there are two guys in this thread you should be aiming your bullshit at, not me.  Have a good one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back