News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-richard-macafee/

When I was with Matthew Mollica last year, he suggested what a fine move it would be to conduct a Feature Interview with Richard Macafee. The more I learned, the more suspicious I became because Richard is that hateful combination of a great player and a great guy.  ;) We have done some Feature Interviews with god-like players like Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus but Richard's +3 handicap at Kingston Heath is - sadly - a mythical, unfathomable mark for me.  So are his eleven club championships!

One of the many things that comes across in the Interview is the faster the conditions, the happier Richard is. Surrounded by homes, some of the famed Melbourne sandbelt courses have resorted to slower running fairway grasses. Slower conditions are anathema to Richard, much preferring his swift native Couch fairways at Kingston Heath as they don't slow down a wayward ball running toward trouble.

Many of his Kingston Heath observations remind me of Pinehurst No.2 in the Sand Hills of North Carolina in the sense that both courses today reflect their natural sandy environs so much better than they did only a decade ago and how playing angles have been re-introduced. Richard played a big role in that at the Heath and the club as a whole should be congratulated for the manner in which it has returned the course to a more raw, organic state, as evidenced in the photographs that accompany his tight prose. As Richard notes, 'The whole strategy and subtlety of Kingston Heath simply doesn't work without the playing conditions suiting the design.'

He beautifully writes, 'One of the most underappreciated aspects of playing Kingston Heath is the fairway undulations, something acknowledged by MacKenzie on his visit, but it's Soutar and Morcom that deserve great credit for this. For what is really a flat site, it is rare to get a flat lie on your approach shot due to the rolling and subtle undulations. The scale of the movement is not always obvious, and isn't so great to create 'collection areas'. However they are just enough to make you adjust you stance and swing and give an advantage to those who can control their golf ball over more one dimensional ball strikers.’ Put another way, the volume doesn't have to be turned up to 11 for superlative golf. Like Hoylake where Richard competed in the British Amateur, swales and one and two foot humps and bumps take on added significance when conditions are firm and bouncey-bounce.

A golf homer can be a terrible bore and Richard is the opposite. He plainly acknowledges that, 'We certainly lack the physical land features of many golf courses’ before going onto say with pride, ‘.... but the original designers and construction team did a phenomenal job and over the years the club has done nearly as well as it could have to bring out the best in what we have. Re-invigorating the native vegetation is the latest part of that, and it's really exciting.' My good friend Jeff Lewis (GOLF Magazine world top 100 panelist who has seen them all) concurs. After revisiting the Heath last February, Jeff maintains it is his favorite/ best course in Australia even though other courses (Barnbougle, RM) are blessed with more of nature's bounty (especially regarding topography). When a design is firing on all cylinders like Kingston Heath is now, it is hard not to clap like a seal. This Interview helps put the spotlight on the series of relentlessly right decisions that the club has made, especially this century.

I played with Jeff Loh and Ben Hovermale this past Saturday at Dormie, relaying a few snippets from this Feature Interview. Ben turned and said, 'Why do the Australians get it more than we do?' A very good question -  read this Feature Interview for some answers! It caps off a blazing start to the Feature Interview section this year, as we have bounced from Cape Cod to Musselburgh and now to Melbourne's sandbelt.

Best,
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:15:23 PM by Ran Morrissett »

James Bennett

Re: Feature Interview with Richard Macafee on Kingston Heath is posted
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »
Woo hoo - interview with a legend.  11 times legend.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »

Richard hosted me at the club when I made my travels through Australia.
A truly delightful man, full of great insights on the architecture of the course.
The majority of our conversations were on the edges of greens.
Kingston Heath has some of the best edges in the game.

We had never met, but he reached out and invited me to make the day happen.
We played with another former Canadian who increased their combined handicap to +5
It was a joy to watch them play.

I learnt a lot from the choices they made and the shots they played around the greens.
They played a serious match and that was an architectural gift to watch.

I was too tired from 54 with Clayts the day before and struggled for the first half.

Great guy, great player, great teacher on architecture too.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
Excellent interview.  Educational for this newbie.  Also introduced me to the Feature Interview portion of the site.  A treasure trove!  I am in the early stages of planning an Australia trip for next year.  Can't wait to see KH.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
Richard was my guest at the Royal Cinque Ports member/guest 3 or 4 years ago, needless to say he was great company but I'm sad to say his game does have one serious flaw. He isn't very good at playing out of the long rough, in fact he was a total let down.

Oh did I mention the format was alternate shot!!

Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:53:51 PM »
Excellent interview, Ran.

In my brief visit to Oz a few years ago, Kingston Heath was the highlight of the trip.  If I ever get back there again, I'll play KH 6 days out of 7, reserving one day for RM E and W.  It's that good, IMHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dieter Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Richard did a series of excellent hole reviews for the recent Golf World Cup event at KH. Here is a link to the brilliant 3rd hole's review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05lvRqi900

Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 04:26:50 AM »
Splendid. Thanks Ran and Richard.
atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:56 AM »
One of the things that struck me during my recent trip to Australia was the extent to which Australian clubs fiddle with their courses, almost perpetually looking for improvements.  At a number of courses the detrimental effect of that fiddling could be seen, perhaps most obviously at Commonwealth but also to varying degrees at Metropolitan and even RMW.  Kingston Heath, on the other hand, struck me as just about as good a golf course as it could possibly be.  Obviously, the wonderful design is an essential part of its brilliance but there's no doubt for me that it was the best conditioned course I have ever played.  Really firm and fast and very little serious rough in play.  The turf was an absolute joy to play off, easily as good as any links turf I have played and clearly better than most of the other sandbelt courses.  A real testament to those, obviously including Rich, who are the current custodians of this course.  The way the course is maintained simply brings the wonderful strategy of the course into play, which surely is what every club should be aiming for.

Interesting for me to learn that KH was originally significantly longer than RM.  Perhaps that has allowed them to retain firm and fast running fairways, while RM has chosen a fairway grass that is slower but is also a far inferior playing surface.

I might not go with Rich Goodale's 6/1 split if I ever get to return to Melbourne but anyone who just assumes that RMW is the best course in Melbourne would be making a mistake.  As  currently set up Kingston Heath is every bit as good.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

RichMacafee

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks to Ran (and Matt Mollica) for deeming KH worthy of a feature interview, and for the messages and feedback I've received.

I enjoyed doing it and hope everyone got something worthwhile out of it.

"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

AJ_Foote

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:08 AM »

Obviously, the wonderful design is an essential part of its brilliance but there's no doubt for me that it was the best conditioned course I have ever played.  Really firm and fast and very little serious rough in play.  The turf was an absolute joy to play off, easily as good as any links turf I have played and clearly better than most of the other sandbelt courses. 

Mark,

To be fair, you played KH a week before they hosted the World Cup, so the conditioning was as good as it gets. When Metropolitan has hosted major tournaments in recent times the course has been presented in spectacular fashion, to the point where a number of pros have called it the best conditioned course in the world, for whatever that's worth. You'll find the same superb conditioning at Vic and RM for the big tournaments.

Cheers,

Andrew

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:38:06 AM by AJ_Foote »

RichMacafee

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:22 AM »
Andrew,

I'm pretty confident that the condition I will play the course in tomorrow in the members weekday comp is just as good as what Mark experienced
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

AJ_Foote

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »
Richard

True no doubt - one of the joys of sandbelt golf is that the playing surfaces are invariably good 12 months of the year.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »
Andrew,

For what it's worth, I thought Metro was in very good condition indeed.  The best thing about it was the quality of the fairway grass.  And, of course, the brilliant way the bunkers cut straight into the greens without intermediate cuts.  And yes, KH was the week before the World Cup.  I think where KH pipped Metro for conditioning was off the fairways but to an extent we're splitting hairs.  I thought the front nine at Metro was as good as any in Melbourne, after KH and RMW and, for me, the conditioning was second only to KH.  Where KH beats just about anywhere else is in the combination of fantastic playing surfaces and really sensible stuff surrounding the corridors of play (though anyone who follows Rich on Facebook may have seen that I found some areas that no-one is supposed to play from!)  When I say that KH was the best conditioned course I have ever played I mean it, and I have played two Open venues pretty much immediately after the pros left and several US clubs that pride themselves on condition.  My comment wasn't a knock on the other sandbelt courses, all of those with one exception were in superb condition, it's simply a comment on just how good KH was.  For what it's worth, probably the second worst conditioned course I played in Melbourne was RMW, and it's simply a masterpiece.  Just the wrong grass.

What struck me about Metropolitan (and Commonwealth) was just how good they both must have been before (relatively) recent changes.  As I think I said when we played, if the back 9 at Metropolitan was as uniformly good as the front 9 then it wouldn't be far behind KH and RMW.  I didn't play anything less than an excellent course in Melbourne, it's just that KH really, really stood out, in a way that, if I'm honest I hoped and expected RMW would but didn't expect KH to.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

AJ_Foote

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:52 AM »
Mark,

Agree with all of that. There's one other point about sandbelt golf that's worth a mention, and that is the number of options that are presented from around the greens. Because the surrounds are kept tight and firm, a player can use almost any club, from hybrids to putters to lob wedges and everything in between. I think the Heath is an absolute standout in this regard, with a lot of shots where you could quite conceivably use six different clubs to achieve the same ends.

Andrew

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Andrew,

Yes, that's an area where the sandbelt beats a lot of better links courses.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
It's good to read that Richard acknowledged Graeme Grant for his work to the course.

I first saw Kingston Heath in 1988, and spent a half-day with Graeme while there.  He did more than just re-grass the course and rebuild the bunkers.  The contours of the 6th green, and the sharp dip in front of the 7th, were two of the things he showed me that he'd changed since he got there.  I wish I could remember some of the others, but suspect that quite a few of the "edges" Ian referred to were Graeme's work, as he is an excellent player, and many of those greens were quite flat, not being MacKenzie's work. 

Graeme also built the free-form teeing grounds which inspired some of my own ideas about tees later on.

It's a terrific course; it reminds me of Merion in how well all of the pieces fit into the small box of the property.  But, sorry, the guys who insist it's superior to Royal Melbourne West are overstating their case.  That's like dismissing Pine Valley in favor of Merion.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Tom (and Mark)

I didn't say that KH was "superior" to RMW.  All I said was that if I ever get back to the sandbelt I would be happier playing most of my time at KH.  Architecture is just one of the many things that make me happy about a golf course, and happiness is what floats my boat when I stand on the first tee, and keeps it floating all the way to the 19th hole.

Richard the Elder
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Mark
Metro's back 9 has been chasing its tail since the original back nine was compulsorily acquired by the government in 1960. And it's not going to stop.
I never saw it but all accounts suggest it was better than the front nine - so it was something of a disaster to lose it.

Tom,
As you say Graeme did a lot there starting in 1982. I think he changed the 1st green a little (barely noticeable but less flat that it was) but he changed significantly the 13th and 18th greens. 13 used to be a lot like the 4th green from my memory of it.
The dip in front of the 14th green is another and the 11th hole has evolved more than any other on the course. Some of it was Vern Morcom,some of it him and some of it OCCM.
He restored the original bunkers left of the second shot at 12 (smothered in tee-tree when he got there) and also the bunkers at 15.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 03:34:56 AM »
Thanks Ran & Richard

I haven't been fortunate enough (yet) to have a game of golf with Richard but look forward to the opportunity one-day especially given his knowledge of KH!

KH has always been a favourite of mine in Australian golf and every time I have played it over  the past 20 years - it has always been presented in very good condition. The same can't be said for RM and there was a time in the mid-late noughties that the conditioning of RM was sub-par so much so that it did not present and play as it was designed and it was almost laughable that people still thought it was the 'best course' in Australia.

The knocking of RMW off the # 1 perch to KH certainly stung RM into action and around then I believe they went so far to get KH's GM at the time the late Paul Rak. Thankfully RM has since been retuned to its former glory but KH should be very proud of the fact that it remains at the top echelon of Australian golf.

Other than NGLA / Shinnecock or Swinley / Sunningdale I can't think of two great golf clubs being located so close to one another - any of which I would love to be a member of!

Thanks for the insights Richard
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:38:26 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Other than NGLA / Shinnecock or Swinley / Sunningdale I can't think of two great golf clubs being located so close to one another - any of which I would love to be a member of!
Muirfield and NBWL?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
Deal and Sandwich, there's quite a few dual members.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
Kevin

Golf Digest here demoted RM to #3 in the country when the course was in average condition.
Golf Australia magazine did not and it retained the #1 spot because it's always been the best course if a judgment of the holes and the architecture is the standard.
It always amazes me how Australians reference only one magazine rating when there are two and arguably the GA is a more accurate reflection of golf here.
Actually - it's not even arguable.I'm just being polite:)

Chris Kane

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
The knocking of RMW off the # 1 perch to KH certainly stung RM into action and around then I believe they went so far to get KH's GM at the time the late Paul Rak. Thankfully RM has since been retuned to its former glory but KH should be very proud of the fact that it remains at the top echelon of Australian golf.

Kevin, while I agree with Mike that RM's fall to #3 in the least credible of the magazine rankings - Golf Digest - was a joke (they had NSW at #2 in the same list...I rest my case!), I think its a rewriting of history to ignore the major factor at the time.

The drought hit RM harder than any other sandbelt club because they didn't have sufficient supply of good quality water. They ended up spending $100k per week to truck in water from Werribee over the summer. No grass on the fairways was enough reason to take action, they didn't need a magazine to tell them they had a problem!

I also think you're drawing a long bow to link the 'knocking' off to hiring Paul Rak from Kingston Heath. The previous GM Bill Richardson retired and the obvious choice was Rak who was the standout golf club manager in Melbourne. Any club with a vacancy would have wanted him, regardless of the condition of their course.

Brian Walshe

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 12:30:50 AM »

Chris,

The drought had nothing to do with the condition of the greens at RM at the time.  They were over watered, stupidly soft and detrimental to the architecture. The greens were very poor for a lot longer than the drought had been impacting the fairways.  I'd agree with Kevin that it wasn't until RM was "demoted" that the club addressed the conditioning issues that had been around for close to a decade.  Let's not even bother discussing the changes to the grass on the greens (twice) nor the interesting Endothall event (Did they really think they greens had been sabotaged?).

Mark's comment about Australian courses tinkering is correct but there has probably been as much tinkering at KH as elsewhere, they just got it right more often.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back