News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: The case for banning drones..
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »

Peter,

you obviously need to move somewhere which offers these things.

Jon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
The implications of drone use are far more insidious than any effect they'll have on golf.

They're a great tool, until the day they come and hunt us all down like dogs.

I met one of the curators from the Intrepid Museum last night and they have a Drone Exhibit opening next month:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/drones

"Drones allow us to reach, see and influence more of the world than ever before, challenging our perspectives on ethics, security and safety. How did we get here, and how will drones affect our lives?

This exhibition will reveal the origins of drone technology, trace its development and explore its current applications in solving complex humanitarian challenges. See a variety of drones, historical artifacts, rare videos and immersive installations. Fly a virtual drone through a challenging landscape, and experience technology rarely available to the general public.

The Museum will also offer programs that examine this evolving technology and its ethical implications. Programs for students, teachers and the public will incorporate lively dialogue, demonstrations of drones in flight, film, art installations and social gaming."

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Chris Cupit

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
The implications of drone use are far more insidious than any effect they'll have on golf.

They're a great tool, until the day they come and hunt us all down like dogs.

+1

Mark McKeever

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
Once a guest arrives at a course

This is all I need.  If you're a guest, you do what the club asks, they have absolutely no obligations to you.  End of story.
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
How about a case for loving drones?

Yale Golf Team 2017 Spring Break trip to So Cal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KXaaZ4pRHo

And the 2016 trip to Scotland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMagi8Rdkw&t=6s

And the 2016 spring trip to Northern California:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9A2ZuqqhdY&t=47s

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm not a big fan of manufacturing glamor shots on the course. Hitting off the wall and the bunker shot at the Road Hole were clearly manufactured to be captured by the drone. A slippery slope bordering on thievery of green fees.

Frank M

Re: The case for banning drones.. New
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »

And the 2016 spring trip to Northern California:

Your examples illustrate the exact reason people hate drones and it is because people fly them where they are expressly forbidden to fly them and use them in dangerous situations. Case in point, flying over and around the Golden Gate Bridge in the last video, even worse, in clouds and fog with impeded visual line of sight.

It's these drone flyers that ruin it for the rest.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 12:54:09 AM by Frank M »

Steve Lang

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
Yale Golf Team 2017 Spring Break trip to So Cal

those look like recruiting videos, probably good marketing for teenagers looking at Yale...

I still don't see any real "case against" drones having been presented, just a bunch of imaginary fear mongering, "wait till they chase us down like dogs and ruin the purity of golf" stuff.  Seems too late, Pandora's Box and all... so its time to either lead, follow, or get out of the way (per Lee I) 

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KXaaZ4pRHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMagi8Rdkw&t=6s

Colin,

These two were fabulous, and he has some real talent. The video of 2016 Spring Break was less elegant, but it obviously had some beautiful shots. Your filmmaker/golfer seemed to really figure it out in the last two videos.

Dave Talbott and I are going to try and find a date this season to play and I will circle back.

Thanks for posting and I am sending these down to my son.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:44:30 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Steve Lang

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
 8)  OK, I just heard from our WCC GM who asked corporate legal on this subject, and here's their position:

"We are not a big fan of drones.  However, we have allowed or used drones in specific circumstances if (i) the drones can be flown legally in the area, (ii) the operator agrees to comply with all applicable laws, (iii) the operator has sufficient insurance and adds the club and affiliates as additional insureds, and (iv) the operator agrees to indemnify the club, we can consider it.  I would need all of this information and, if it passes legal, we would need a written agreement and a certificate of insurance naming the club and affiliates as additional insureds.  In addition, we would want a copy of anything that is shot, we would want copyright/trademark protection with respect to the club and its holes, and we would want control over the use and distribution of material. We would likely not allow one during normal play."

Not sure how one can stop the random unannounced fly-over other than hiring that little girl and perhaps giving her a 9 iron to complement the driver!  Seems a legal action will be needed to set a precedent to ban drones.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »
Steve,

That is exactly what I was hoping for. A well thought out written position that by all accounts bans drones. Give your GM my best.

BCowan

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 10:26:57 PM »
8)  OK, I just heard from our WCC GM who asked corporate legal on this subject, and here's their position:

"We are not a big fan of drones.  However, we have allowed or used drones in specific circumstances if (i) the drones can be flown legally in the area, (ii) the operator agrees to comply with all applicable laws, (iii) the operator has sufficient insurance and adds the club and affiliates as additional insureds, and (iv) the operator agrees to indemnify the club, we can consider it.  I would need all of this information and, if it passes legal, we would need a written agreement and a certificate of insurance naming the club and affiliates as additional insureds.  In addition, we would want a copy of anything that is shot, we would want copyright/trademark protection with respect to the club and its holes, and we would want control over the use and distribution of material. We would likely not allow one during normal play."

Not sure how one can stop the random unannounced fly-over other than hiring that little girl and perhaps giving her a 9 iron to complement the driver!  Seems a legal action will be needed to set a precedent to ban drones.

Steve,

They have drone ammo.  What goes up can go down.  It's refreshing for your GM to have principles. Very rare these days.  I think John should join as a national member...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
Looks like "permission based" software is coming to the drone world:

http://www.flylatas.com

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:29:46 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Steve Lang

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
 8) Ben,

There's also some anti-drone drones which approach and fire nets and some near field electronic signal disruptors to bring em down, among others, if you go looking...  ::)

I like the little girl...

and I'm told there's been some issues with courses/pilots in Florida...  I wonder what's in the public record?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:35:37 AM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Andy Johnson

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
Found a new drone apologist this week....wonder who it is.

David_Tepper

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »
Nice drone video of the Yale golf team's trip to Scotland in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMagi8Rdkw

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/two-arrested-for-drone-use-in-london-gatwick-airport-case/

I'm sure we are all aware of the criminal activity that ruined many a holiday this season. Please do your part and ban all drone usage at your course before it's too late.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »
A drone being banned at a golf course should be the least of our naive concerns regarding this technology.  I know various government security/military personnel who constantly see drones being used for terrorist acts and sabotage.  Many of these evil uses have provided exponential improvements to the bad guys capabilities, all of which happen while we are living in our golf bubble.

A terrorist organization recently stole several containers full of drones and have been training "pilots" for their objectives, which isn't to shoot panoramic video of Tara Iti.

I predict that governments will take very restrictive action soon, and can certainly see a day where they will have to be registered and allowed to be flown only in certain areas and certain times, much like guns today. I wished they were only of use to some middle school kids science project, but we live in a dangerous world.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:13:20 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
A drone being banned at a golf course should be the least of our naive concerns regarding this technology.  I know various government security/military personnel who constantly see drones being used for terrorist acts and sabotage.  Many of these evil uses have provided exponential improvements to the bad guys capabilities, all of which happen while we are living in our golf bubble.

A terrorist organization recently stole several containers full of drones and have been training "pilots" for their objectives, which isn't to shoot panoramic video of Tara Iti.

I predict that governments will take very restrictive action soon, and can certainly see a day where they will have to be registered and allowed to be flown only in certain areas and certain times, much like guns today. I wished they were only of use to some middle school kids science project, but we live in a dangerous world.

Time for a NDA (National Drone Association) to step in.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Jeff,

I have the greatest respect for your international travel and viewpoint. As I am sure you have learned all politics are local.  All we can do is try to improve our own vertical spaces and hope the world follows. As went cigarettes soon will go drones.

I hear progress is being made as an image pirate was recently banned from a famous Chicago club due to his rude behavior.

Brian Finn

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
I never really understood the anti-drone stance of some folks, especially because I love the incredible drone-shot photos (and some videos) of golf courses I have seen in recent years.  On Saturday, that changed for me in a major way.  While visiting a top American resort, there were as many as three drones flying on the course during early afternoon play.  One particular group was flying it through the entire round, while they played, and for many holes (due to our proximity to that group and the order of holes) their drone sounded and felt like it was right on top of us.  Did it ruin my day?  Definitely not.  I got to play a really good golf course for the first time with two good friends, and we had a lot of laughs and hit a few good shots in the process.  Did it bother me, and even interfere with my play?  Honestly, yes.  It really did.  I try to be relaxed about these things, but it was pretty annoying.  I'm sure few (if any) people here really care what I think on this seemingly minor issue, but I wanted to share because I recall thinking the anti-drone folks were being silly.  At least while play is in progress, I don't think they should be allowed. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Eric Smith

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2019, 02:11:47 PM »
I'll give Barney his due.

Looks like he was ahead of the curve on this one.  Drone use during the round, for 4.5+ hours, having that ongoing distraction...that would really suck...especially if it was a once a lifetime play.

P.S.Seems like if you kept the drone outside of course "airspace" there isn't much you could do about it in terms of taking photos...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »
Did it bother me, and even interfere with my play?  Honestly, yes.  It really did.  I try to be relaxed about these things, but it was pretty annoying.  I'm sure few (if any) people here really care what I think on this seemingly minor issue, but I wanted to share because I recall thinking the anti-drone folks were being silly.  At least while play is in progress, I don't think they should be allowed.

It sucks when Jaka is right, people won't stop until that are over the top. I would agree with everything you said.

Tim Martin

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Once a guest arrives at a course

This is all I need.  If you're a guest, you do what the club asks, they have absolutely no obligations to you.  End of story.

http://youtu.be/2jkD_xckpes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back