News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The President slept here...
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
I've spent my entire life in Lincolnland and am always quite impressed by homes or hotels where President Lincoln slept. Sadly he wasn't a golfer so I've been going through my mind trying to figure out if I have ever played a round of golf on the same course as a President of the United States. I hope at least one of these fine gentlemen have made it to St. Andrews…Don't know. I would think Eisenhower would have made it out to Prairie Dunes considering the love he had for Kansas that returns the favor so publicly to him. My question: What are some of the courses famous and not so famous for hosting our long list of Presidents that you yourself may have played? Why were they chosen by both them and you?

My list unless further informed is St. Andrews and Prairie Dunes with possibly Kiawah Island and Butler National thrown in for good measure.

Pete Lavallee

Re: The President slept here...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
I play at Coronado Municipal GC at least twice each month. This was the site of President Clinton's first round in the 70's, back when he was still the POTUS. Reportedly it was his first mulligan free round of golf!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
President Obama - Vineyard Golf Club
He played there 3 times in about a week or so while I was there. We had just started the renovation, and we definitely were not allowed to work while he was there. We just kind of stood and watched him go by, and the secret service brought the bomb sniffing dogs through all the excavators and bulldozer.

President Clinton - Quaker Ridge Golf Club
I always thought it was cool that he took a picture with the caddies in his group. The pic still hangs in the caddymasters office.

they both made Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard pretty famous too.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
John,

The resort you and I recently played at (Palmetto Dunes) was a favorite of President Clinton's on New Years Day when he and the First Lady would vacation on Hilton Head during Renaissance Week.

I lived on the 8th hole back in 1993-94 and my roommate snapped a few pics of 42 playing right outside our sliding glass door. Amazing really when you think about it.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
Bill Clinton did play Royal Dornoch, although I believe it was after he left office.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »
There have been many Presidents who were avid golfers.  In terms of famous courses, President Eisenhower probably tops the list because of his relationship with ANCG--hence, the Eisenhower Tree and the Eisenhower Cabin.  President Kennedy probably the best golfer despite his back issues. But if you want go back to the Golden Age, President Taft I think was the first President who was a "golf addict."

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
John,
     You've played Beverly I assume ? Obama played Bev on fathers day 3-4 yrs ago. He has quite a few close pals who are members- it would be the logical choice for him club wise if he came back to Chicago .

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
Burning Tree in nearby Bethesda, MD was a frequent haunt of many Presidents until recently as their men only policy is not politically correct these days.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
Presiden Taft (I think the first prez to regularly play golf) had a daughter that went to Bryn Mawr College.  And I'm pretty sure he played their little pitch and putt course (now NLE).  Further fun fact:  Taft is the only president to give a commencement speech at my university (Villanova).
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »
President Clinton played NSWGC with Greg Norman in 1998 while visiting Australia.

Of course access to the club was obscenely tight that day and members had to be checked off by name by the President's security to get in the driveway.

There was a junior member (about 17/18 years old) at the time whose surname was "Whitehouse" and you can imagine the security's response when he rolled up.

Took him a good while to convince them he wasn't taking the piss and should be allowed in!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:18:01 PM by Scott Warren »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Reagan was a member of LACC.

Here's a good article:

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/us-presidents-golf-14906.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »
Times have changed:

Weekend at Newport, Rhode Island: President Kennedy, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy (JBK), Ben Bradlee, and Antoinette "Toni" Bradlee on golf course, Newport Country Club:
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ed Homsey

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
President George H.W. Bush has spent many of his summers in Kennebunkport as a member and regular at Cape Arundel Golf Club, where Walter J. Travis worked his magic with the routings and green sites.  President Bush hosted many famous individuals, including world leaders, politicians, golf professionals, etc, at Cape Arundel.  Cape Arundel's Director of Golf, Ken Raynor, a close personal friend of the President and Mrs. Bush, has many interesting stories to tell about many of the luminaries who have played there, including Phil Mickelson, and his quest to set a course record, etc.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
John F. Kennedy and company were famously photographed playing golf at both Newport Country Club and the Hyannisport Club. I believe his father warned him of being photographed playing the sport..

Hyannisport, on Cape Cod, MA, is a sporty, sort of "parky" New England seaside golf with native grasses abound, and poa greens. The ocean hits you in the face upon pulling into the elevated parking lot... an understated and old time summer club...The famous Kennedy compound is located in Hyannis where the family(s) adamantly spent time. 

Newport is the more famous, "tony" club in Newport, Rhode Island, on the southern tip of Aquidneck Island. An old waspy sailing town, and home to the New York Yacht Club where the Kennedy's surely spent some time. (JFK and Jackie O were famously married in Newport) A gorgeous clubhouse without air conditioning and without screens on the windows...Lots of hands in the clay at Newport, but a great course none the less. No irrigation, and "linksy" in places...like Hyannis, the dusty feel with lots of native grass and poa greens...

Both share the quintessential New England identity. And most likely more so at Hyannisport.
JFK was fiercely New England, clinging to the accent, values and political foundation...its where they spent their free time, and not surprisingly, the rare round of golf.

I work on the East End of Long Island- and in our business the summers are for working hard--the fall is a great time to get out of town for our own recreation time, and with the Cross Sound Ferry (Gateway to New England) shooting you across the Long Island Sound to New London, CT, golf in New England is an easy call.

Newport Country Club frequently hosts US Open qualifiers, and with that entry you are afforded a practice round...Hyannisport is a great combo to Eastward Ho! or on the way to Nantucket..a hundred great courses that way....surely JFK played elsewhere in New England. His dad was famously denied membership at The Country Club, because he was Catholic. JFK apparently played Golf at Harvard...I believe Harvard play's and practices at The Country Club...I wonder if Jack did then...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:36:15 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
Times have changed:

Weekend at Newport, Rhode Island: President Kennedy, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy (JBK), Ben Bradlee, and Antoinette "Toni" Bradlee on golf course, Newport Country Club:

How bout that move--
-Hips more open than the shoulders
-Left wrist in flexion
-Club shaft delivering from inside the target line-nice and shallow
-Hand path outside the sweet spot
-Right heel leading the toes
-Right shoulder under the left (great for a driver and delivering a shallow, ascending, angle of attack)

I bet he killed, sweeping draws around Newport...

David Wuthrich

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
41 is also a member of both Houston Country Club and ShadowHawk here in Houston.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
This thread gives me the opportunity to herald that I was privileged to have hosted President Clinton on two occasions, 16 days apart, when he was just out of office in the summer of 2001. Across these two visits, I enjoyed almost 8 hours of face-to-face access and engagement with the President. He was affable, generous, told amusing stories about politics and golf and permitted all present to treat him regularly and personally.

President Clinton was a proclaimed "9" HCP at this time, and was truly, like any other "9 HCP" I've ever known...many good and decent shots, some clunkers...would probably be a 13 under tournament conditions, could be a 5 if he had time to work on it...earnestly in pursuit of breaking 80 in most rounds. He did take three mulligans on driving holes, so his 81 was faulty in the first of the two rounds, but if you knew the context of a President's golf (just appreciates getting to swing a bit without other troubles), even his ardent critics oughtn't begrudge.

An interesting note is that he came to both rounds armed with a half-gallon Ziploc bag of the most unpresidential cigars you have ever seen. They were oblong, with peeling, coal black leaves, no label band,  and blew thick ash and gray smoke anywhere he lit up which was at least four times. I'm sure they were amazing to his palette, but all I could think of was these things diddling Ms. Lewinsky.

The second round, 16 days later, was a Monday outing for the USO and is worth noting for two reasons that happened right at the end. The first of those was that he holed out a 178 yard 7-wood for an eagle "2" on Rockrimmon's 435 yard 18th hole. Unlike the first round, which was played on a member's day where 100 members and staff ringed the 18th green to watch the President finish their course, this was a shotgun during a non-member outing; there was no one but two Secret Service agents with their backs to the green and the 18th green is just uphill enough, so you can't tell the precise location of the ball from back in the fairway....

We didn't know he had made an eagle until we got up there. And at first, the foursome and the two caddies spread out looking along the rough, the apron or a bunker to see its position. I was the only one cheeky enough (remember at this point, I had enjoyed 8 hours over two rounds, tagging along shot by shot with the President's group, I felt we were "close" ;) ) to look in the cup, wherein I discovered his Titleist and bade him come.

He was as happy as one is with their first ace, and soon the group closed shoulders in congratulations of him, wherein he wept presidential tears of joy on my shoulder. (I kid you not). He went on to recall that as a teenager in Arkansas, he was playing by himself on a 9-hole course with a driveable finishing hole, blind over a hill, gave it a good whack and after looking, found it in the cup. But because he was playing alone, he never spoke of the feat which he deemed was suspicious; "that some older guys hanging on the clubhouse porch, put the ball in the cup as a gaslight gag on a kid." So he was as thrilled to do it, as to have us all witness it.

Shortly after, when he and the group departed for the locker and dinner program, me and my staff were cleaning up the carts and getting ready for the rest of the shotgun to finish. I realized that in all the excitement, he left the record of the deed, the scorecard, on the hub of the steering wheel. I snapped it out and whizzed down to the locker room and handed it to a Secret Service agent at the door, explaining. Before I got very far back down the hallway, he came out the swinging door, holding the card, and shouted after me, "Oh geez Vinnie, thank you man. I don't know what I would do if I forgot this."

He then met me half-way down the hallway, gave me a big handshake and a hug and gave me such warm thanks for all the stuff we had done and been to him over the last two weeks.

At that point, I had ginger ale in my head and I must have floated home that night.

cheers
vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Buck Wolter

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
I spent a summer working on the greens crew at CC of the Rockies in the Vail Valley, Jerry Ford was a member and lived at Beaver Creek about 5 miles away. He hosted the Jerry Ford Invitational there which was a pretty big Pro-Am -- I remember Dr J played which was awesome for me.

On any given Wednesday I remember the secret service guys in a cart behind him clearly bored out of their minds as he drove right next to the tees and greens (bad knee I think). I may have made up the memory but I can clearly see my EZGO greens cart back-firing and those 2 guys jumping out of the cart like I was Charles Manson.

Buck

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »
I had the good fortune to play Royal County Down on the same day as President Clinton--I believe it was in 2003.  He came up the 1st as I was walking parallel along the 9th. 

He arrived by helicopter. I did not  :D

Great topic John!

Dave August

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
Clinton - Biltmore Golf Course (Coral Gables, FL) - HRC's brother was a property owner, he played a fair amount of golf there when he visited So FL.

Bush - Cape Arundel in Kennebunkport was a course he played during his time there, iirc.

Shadow Creek - Clinton and Obama have lockers there, I think Bush too. I assume they played, but I could be wrong.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:26 AM »
Well, there is a very pedestrian 27-hole course in Indio, CA (Palm Springs) called the Indian Palms CC.  A friend has a nice house there that we use every winter for a buddy trip.  The courses, I think, were designed by women (the frist?) on a private estate and may have evolutionary roots in 1930-40’s.  I don’t really know the history because when the estate went to developers later, they put in housing without understanding adequate playing corridors for golf.  The result is three narrow nine-hole courses lined with housing that is frequently bombarded.  We play the houses as laterals and find it rather an ideal place to knock the rust off games before going somewhere else we might be interested in playing.

Yet, this was the place that Ike Eisenhower chose to hole up and write his memoir, play golf, and spend his winters.  There is a house on the tee of the driving range, now used for events, where he lived for some time.  Maybe it was still in the estate days.  I don’t know or care.  It’s just so funny now to play there and think that an Augusta member chose these courses.  No offence intended, we love going there, love having to get our games together after 2-3 months off, love the casual, no-bs vibe of the place.  It’s a fine, very affordable desert golf option.  The way it has evolved, however, you might feel uncomfortable inviting your host at Stone Eagle over for a reciprocal round.  Not really, but you do understand some folks have decided that life is too short to play bad or ordinary golf courses, have the means not to, and respect their decision and understand why.                 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:48 AM »
Ike played the Bayonette course at Fort Ord and the Presidio in SF.that I know of from pictures once in the clubhouses.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 04:47:19 AM »
George and Barbara Bush played at Elie some time after he left office.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:18 AM »
John F. Kennedy and company were famously photographed playing golf at both Newport Country Club and the Hyannisport Club. I believe his father warned him of being photographed playing the sport..

Hyannisport, on Cape Cod, MA, is a sporty, sort of "parky" New England seaside golf with native grasses abound, and poa greens. The ocean hits you in the face upon pulling into the elevated parking lot... an understated and old time summer club...The famous Kennedy compound is located in Hyannis where the family(s) adamantly spent time. 

Newport is the more famous, "tony" club in Newport, Rhode Island, on the southern tip of Aquidneck Island. An old waspy sailing town, and home to the New York Yacht Club where the Kennedy's surely spent some time. (JFK and Jackie O were famously married in Newport) A gorgeous clubhouse without air conditioning and without screens on the windows...Lots of hands in the clay at Newport, but a great course none the less. No irrigation, and "linksy" in places...like Hyannis, the dusty feel with lots of native grass and poa greens...

Both share the quintessential New England identity. And most likely more so at Hyannisport.
JFK was fiercely New England, clinging to the accent, values and political foundation...its where they spent their free time, and not surprisingly, the rare round of golf.

I work on the East End of Long Island- and in our business the summers are for working hard--the fall is a great time to get out of town for our own recreation time, and with the Cross Sound Ferry (Gateway to New England) shooting you across the Long Island Sound to New London, CT, golf in New England is an easy call.

Newport Country Club frequently hosts US Open qualifiers, and with that entry you are afforded a practice round...Hyannisport is a great combo to Eastward Ho! or on the way to Nantucket..a hundred great courses that way....surely JFK played elsewhere in New England. His dad was famously denied membership at The Country Club, because he was Catholic. JFK apparently played Golf at Harvard...I believe Harvard play's and practices at The Country Club...I wonder if Jack did then...

There are a lot of great black and white photos of JFK in the bar at Hyannisport. The club is very proud of its association with him and the Kennedy clan.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
President Clinton played frequently at Army Navy in Arlington VA. Solid course dating back to 1930 and very convenient to the White House. There was a GCA thread a couple of years ago trying to establish its architectural history, but seems to be quite a bit of mystery.

As a footnote, it is a long practice for White House staff to give quests a momento with the Presidential Seal (cuff links were popular). Senior staff had access to them. President Clinton decided that only he could give out the golf balls. If you had a sleeve, it meant you received it from him personally.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back