News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Sod
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
Over the years I've been surprised by the amount of sod used in new construction and renovation projects. 

I am interested in hearing about the economics and when it changed. 

Architects and shappers, what is the most and least amount of sod you have used on any new project and what is the most amount of seeded area on a restoration/renovation project.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Sod
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »

Over the years I've been surprised by the amount of sod used in new construction and renovation projects. 

I am interested in hearing about the economics and when it changed. 

Architects and shappers, what is the most and least amount of sod you have used on any new project and what is the most amount of seeded area on a restoration/renovation project.

For our project, we sodded over 10 acres of turfgrass-banks, bunker slopes, greens edges and erosion areas.  Cost of sod vs sprigs was 7x different, but its instant.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »
Sod is instant gratification for club members.  It staggers me how much they will spend on it, but most clubs want not to miss a single golf season, so they schedule construction work in the fall and then put down sod when everything is shaped, well after it's too late to seed anything.  Hollywood is the only club we've worked for lately that used a lot of seed to establish fescue bunker faces.

In new construction it's the opposite approach; the whole schedule is geared toward seeding at the right time.  We used zero sod at The Loop or Tara Iti or Streamsong or most of our new projects, unless the superintendent wants to sod some select bunker banks, or put a ring of sod around the greens - but we resist the latter wherever possible.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Sod is instant gratification for club members.  It staggers me how much they will spend on it, but most clubs want not to miss a single golf season, so they schedule construction work in the fall and then put down sod when everything is shaped, well after it's too late to seed anything.  Hollywood is the only club we've worked for lately that used a lot of seed to establish fescue bunker faces.

It staggers me how much American clubs spend on renovations generally.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
Adam Tralee spent €1m on the 9th alone, not sure how or whether they got VFM.
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:08:26 PM »
Adam Tralee spent €1m on the 9th alone, not sure how or whether they got VFM.

I do not even understand how that is possible on a links course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back