News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Sam Krume

Re: British Transport Film - Golfers In A Scottish Landscape (1971)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:48:02 AM »
Great film....loved the width of the 9th at Turnberry.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Nice find. Thanks for highlighting. Brings back a few memories. And golf shoes with metal spikes.....a great sound.
Atb

Marc Haring

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
Being the anorak I am I was keen to identify some of the  pro's in the first snippet. Got Neil Coles, Brian Barnes, Gary Player, I think lee Elder, Max Faulkner, Christy O'Conner Snr and of course Trevino and Jacklin.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »
Very cool briefly seeing Braid Hills and Gleneagles.

John Cowden

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:18 AM »
A wonderful view of a time I was there, stimulating 43 year old memories.  I visited St. Andrews with my dad two years later, in 1973, stayed in the Old Course Hotel and played the Old Course together.  We also visited Gleneagles.  The Kings Course was a revelation.  Wonderful to see the courses, the game, the town and buildings, the period dress and styles, and marvel at it all as it was.   Surely we didn't look like that. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:58:43 AM »
Brian

Thanks for posting. As Matt says, it was cool to see a couple of shots of The Braid Hills. One of the first courses I set foot on and still a sentimental favourite.

What really struck me from the video was the weather! Apart from the summer of 2013 when the Open was held at Muirfield and the course got pretty fiery I can't think of a decent summer we've had in the past decade.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:14:34 AM »
Michael,

since being up here in the Highlands in 2009 which was an amazing autumn we have had great summers in both 2013 and 2014 with 2012 being the only poor one so 8 years 2 great summers, 4 average and one poor not so shabby.

Maybe the courses were more fiery die to less irrigation!!!

Jon

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Thanks Brian,

A good find.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Great stuff
Great scenery and footage

Take a look at 12:39 on the video and see what variety is gained when interesting pins are able to be used used on greens with slope and lower overall speed.
A super fast PUTT on the video, yet probably actually only a stimp of 7 or 8 max. Equally slow as it was fast going back up-hence the challenge.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back