News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JReese

Biarritz questions
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
To somewhat keep with Ran's suggestion, I thought I would bring a few older posts to the forefront

Interested in opinions on The Biarritz style at Yale and Fishers http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41883.0.html

The Biarritz Conundrum http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40981.0/nowap.html

If you've got some time to kill or are just really interested in the Biarritz they're worth a read  :)

The questions I have that could not be found in these threads are:
1.  When was the decision made to maintain the front section as green instead of fairway height?
2.  Why was this decision made? - Suggestions that converting to green maintained the original intent of the hole which would make sense
3.  What course was the first to make the change? - There was mention of Yale or St. Louis CC
4.  Is the current trend to maintain the front as green vs. fairway? - The 2 MacDonald/Raynor courses in Chicago maintain their Biarritz green differently.  Shoreacres as green vs. CGC as fairway

Thanks in advance,

James

"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Ryan Hillenbrand

Re: Biarritz questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
I have only played Biarritz's that have the front as greens - St. Louis and Shoreacres, which to me makes more sense as the strategy for the hole. Never seeing the other option its hard to say for sure I wouldn't like it as much, but if the idea of the Biarritz was running a shot on front and seeing it re-emerge on the back shelf, I would think rough or intermediate cut would make that tougher.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
I think it's nearly impossible for us to imagine the conditioning of the day, in which these old Biarritz' were first introduced. Irrigation regimes and mowing heights/ frequency(they didn't mow everything every day like we seem to do today) wouldv'e changed our perspective on the design and functionality, and whether the front was to be green surface, or not.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JReese

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
I have only played Biarritz's that have the front as greens - St. Louis and Shoreacres, which to me makes more sense as the strategy for the hole. Never seeing the other option its hard to say for sure I wouldn't like it as much, but if the idea of the Biarritz was running a shot on front and seeing it re-emerge on the back shelf, I would think rough or intermediate cut would make that tougher.

Ryan just curious when you played were you able to run a ball through the swale to the back shelf?  Also was the pin ever located on the front section? 

James
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back