News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: 2017 Midwest Mashie: Event Location Open Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
I would be interested in an Iowa-based Mashie, if I can make it. I'm sure any location would be great. But as others have stated, one of the great things about the Mashie is that it tends to visit places which we otherwise might not be able to see on a regular basis.

George Freeman

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

The Mashie spent a year in my office in Cincinnati starting in early October 2014 - I'm not sure who had her before I did.

I strapped her into the passenger seat for a ride to the Twin Cities Mashie in September 2015, but she left me for a silver fox and I went home alone.

I feel like I say this every year, but one of the great charms of the Midwest Mashie's evolution is the way that it has come to highlight excellent courses that aren't already on everyone's radar. Mashies I've attended like the Twin Cities, Canterbury, Kingsley, and Broadmoor events have been consistently marked by incredible generosity from members and clubs to host us at courses that people cared about sharing with our group when they could have saved a ton of hassle by just letting us go fend for ourselves at any old course with openings available on GolfNow.

Vaughn and Cedar Rapids have put together a pretty killer tentative plan. Cedar Rapids is a classic Ross that recently completed a lauded renovation, in a wildly underrated Midwestern state that has never hosted the event previously. If we have local members at a private club working to host us and already penciling us in for a tentative date on a recently renovated Golden Age course that gets rave reviews, that gets my vote over any resort options. Not because the resort options aren't awesome, but just because any of us can go play them at any time and there's no sacrifice being made on the part of a membership to give up a few valuable weekend tee times to share a place they love with a rag-tag group of visitors who always go home from this event having been treated with far more hospitality than we deserve.

If I'm not there this year, it will only be because of obligations involved in getting a house built and moved into, which should happen right around the time of the Mashie. Pencil me in otherwise.

Hear!  Hear!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ken Fry

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

I strapped her into the passenger seat for a ride to the Twin Cities Mashie in September 2015, but she left me for a silver fox and I went home alone.

Did Thurman really just call me a silver fox???

I think the Iowa offer hits the spot.  Incredibly generous and exactly the kinds of courses we like to see/play when the opportunity arises.  I've attended every Mashie but one and have never left feeling let down by any course we've played.  Iowa's offerings would continue the strong line-up we've enjoyed.

Ken

Jason Thurman

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
I'd pay a lot of money for hair like that. That's all I'm saying.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

George Freeman

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »

It's Nature's "Touch of Gray"...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

V_Halyard

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

It's Nature's "Touch of Gray"...
[/quote

I'd pay money for some hair....
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Thank you and I will post a proposed event outline!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »
Well that Jumped up a notch! Let’s give it a rip and see if we can get this right our first time out.
Thanks for the support and here is a Proposed/Tentative Schedule with an assist from Pat Craig and his 2015 format

PROPOSED/TENTATIVE MIDWEST MASHIE 2017

Cedar Rapids CC (Official Mashie Event) (CRCC)  https://www.cedarrapidscc.com
Davenport CC (Friday Friendly) TBD

When:  Fri 9.29.2017 - Sun 10.01.2017
Golf: Round 1 – Sat Sept 30.2017 Cedar Rapids Country Club
Hosted by Vaughn Halyard and Steve Greif – Best Ball Teams

Dinner: Sat Eve: CRCC
Post Round Bourbon, Wine, Single Malt Tasting and Cocktails - Greif is a Certified Sommelier with deep wine chops and we abuse them regularly.
Dinner, Presentation and Discussion with Architects Ron Prichard/Tyler Rae and CRCC’s Restoration Team

Golf: Round 2 – Sun Oct 01.2017 CRCC – Singles Matches
Optional Friday Friendly at Davenport CC
UNVERIFIED AND TBD WITH DCC - In other words, they have not been officially asked!

ESTIMATED COSTS:
Cedar Rapids CC - $100 Sat /  $100 Sunday
Davenport CC - $?? TBD
*Golf fees represent walking as CRCC is a great walking track
Caddies available - Caddie fess additional
Push Carts Available/No Charge
Carts available cart fees additional
CRCC Dinner: $60-$70 pp

ACCOMDATIONS:
Room Rate is $125/room/night Plus Tax
includes airport transportation and possibly group transportation to/from CRCC. We have a block of rooms on hold at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center for people checking in on the 29th and/or 30th in Cedar Rapids. We will have a code once we confirm event. These are the best rooms in the area and the rack rate is approximately $200/night during Football and Wedding Season.  see: https://www.thehotelatkirkwood.com/home
Note that Kirkwood is home to a leading a culinary arts and hospitality school as well as a golf management curricula. In celebration of their hosting GCA they have thrown in ONE complementary (1) Cocktail in their lounge.  Kirkwood also Plays hard.

Additional Tourism and Economic Development
FACT: Bourbon is a distinctly American Drink that by law must consist of 51% Corn. The best corn in the world is grown in Iowa. Again, I’m not inferring that Golf and Spirits are intertwined in any way but will add that our golf afflicted friends at the nearby Cedar Ridge Distillery and Winery are are the purveyors of award winning hand-craft-distilled-on-site Bourbons, Whiskeys, Wines and other spirits. They will be enhance our menu with a selection award winning hand crafted single malts and other spirits at our CRCC dinner and have offered to host a GCA Distillery Tour for those interested. See https://www.crwine.com/whiskey/

Hope that is enticing and please post thoughts comments or message me.
OF course subject to change.
Thanks for the interest and support!   Vaughn
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:51:36 PM by V_Halyard »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
Thanks Vaughn. I love putting my golf calendar together, especially with an ice storm on its way.

John McCarthy

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Iowa Mashie!  Count me in.  The people of Iowa are the nicest I have ever met, nothwithstanding their slander of Illinois sweet corn.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

V_Halyard

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
Iowa Mashie!  Count me in.  The people of Iowa are the nicest I have ever met, nothwithstanding their slander of Illinois sweet corn.
Thanks John.. your corn is fine and I'm glad you guys like it!  Lol

V_Halyard

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »

The Mashie spent a year in my office in Cincinnati starting in early October 2014 - I'm not sure who had her before I did.

I feel like I say this every year, but one of the great charms of the Midwest Mashie's evolution is the way that it has come to highlight excellent courses that aren't already on everyone's radar. Mashies I've attended like the Twin Cities, Canterbury, Kingsley, and Broadmoor events have been consistently marked by incredible generosity from members and clubs to host us at courses that people cared about sharing with our group when they could have saved a ton of hassle by just letting us go fend for ourselves at any old course with openings available on GolfNow.

Vaughn and Cedar Rapids have put together a pretty killer tentative plan. Cedar Rapids is a classic Ross that recently completed a lauded renovation, in a wildly underrated Midwestern state that has never hosted the event previously. If we have local members at a private club working to host us and already penciling us in for a tentative date on a recently renovated Golden Age course that gets rave reviews, that gets my vote over any resort options. Not because the resort options aren't awesome, but just because any of us can go play them at any time and there's no sacrifice being made on the part of a membership to give up a few valuable weekend tee times to share a place they love with a rag-tag group of visitors who always go home from this event having been treated with far more hospitality than we deserve.

If I'm not there this year, it will only be because of obligations involved in getting a house built and moved into, which should happen right around the time of the Mashie. Pencil me in otherwise.
We thank you and wont disappoint!

V_Halyard

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
Thanks Vaughn. I love putting my golf calendar together, especially with an ice storm on its way.
Yes don't I know it.  O'hare is lovely this time of year...!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
Thanks John.. your corn is fine and I'm glad you guys like it!  Lol

There is no smack-talk quite like agri-smack-talk.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
I have not played in the Mashie since 2010, but COUNT ME in for Cedar Rapids. I am more than willing to giveJason T. and Chriss T. a ride!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:21:09 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Max Sternberg

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Count me in tentatively as well. Really looking forward to seeing CRCC

PCCraig

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
Assuming the event is at Cedar Rapids on September 30th/October 1st I would be in. As great as a round at Davenport would be I would likely drive down Saturday, and back the following day. Sounds like a fantastic itinerary, Vaughn, especially the parts about Ron Prichard and Bourbon.
H.P.S.

Josh Bills

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »
Count me in. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back