News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2017, 03:45:46 AM »
Ben, it was a very windy day, I'll say a 2 to 3 club wind (1st was a good driver and 4 iron from the front winter tee, which the day before I'd hit driver wedge!) and Mark played some excellent golf, striking the ball well and holing some critical putts.

What Mark doesnt mention is the 15 footer on the last was for a bogey as we'd both made a bit of a mess of it. Partly as being mentally more of an organiser than a competitor it occured to me standing on 18 with me 1 up that we hadn't said what to do in the event of a tie? Fairly straightforward for anyone playing at a course where one of you is a member that it should be easy to go down the 19th, but if both are visitors a bit more tricky!

Afterwards we said that ideally it would be agreed before playing and either arrange to go down the 19th or go to the putting green to settle as best seems fit? Suspect most would go for a putting contest but I like the idea of a nearest the pin chip off. Thoughts?

Looking forward to a game against Sean, though whoever wins that one has some travelling ahead for the next game!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:45:55 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
A dreich day for a first round match against David Macintosh at Pitreavie yesterday.  Giving nine shots, a tight match in which I needed to shoot 71 to beat a very steady David on the last - 2up.

A solid "5" on the Doak Scale in my book, and only 23GBP in the summer.

Well played, Clyde, and I'm glad you and David liked Pigtreavie.  I'm available starting May 8, and can suggest Aberdour, Dornoch, or Kinghorn as possibilities.  Please let me know your thoughts through e-mail.  You can reach me at rfgoodale@gmail.com.

All the best

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David McIntosh

« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Rich,

I certainly enjoyed the round at Pitreavie on Saturday and, as you and Mark flagged beforehand, there's some really good golf there.

Echoing Clyde's report, we played out a competitive match with very few halved holes (there was never more than a hole between us until into the back nine), followed by a constant drizzle, in which Clyde deservedly won in the end through some excellent play of his own.

Holes 4-7, 10, 12-13 and 15 stood out as being particularly strong but the greens really were the star of the show throughout - with a special mention for the fantastic green on the par 3 6th.

The Augusta comparisons were also evident on the 13th, which bears a striking resemblence to the 13th at ANGC. A sweeping right to left par 5 where the player is left with a hanging lie if taking the tighter, more direct line and flirting with the burn (read creek). The burn must then be crossed with the approach to an undulating green on what I felt was the finest hole at Pitreavie.

The 12th and original 16th at Augusta appear to share a few similarities and it's easy to see how both could be likened to Pitreavie's 12th due to the shallow greens with water running across the front.

The only shame about playing so early in the year was (i) that the course was very soft and (ii) that we had to play to a temporary green short on the 10th hole as the approach to the proper green looked to be one of the most interesting at Pitreavie. I'd like to return in the summer with the course playing much firmer, which would undoubtedly lead to some intriguing putts on those wonderfully tiered greens.

Good luck to both Rich and Clyde in the next round.

David
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:57:05 PM by David McIntosh »

Niall C

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2017, 08:29:23 AM »

"To me, the angle of that looks more like a flipped version of the original 16th at Augusta National, before Trent Jones changed it.  MacKenzie compared the original of the 16th to a hole at Stoke Poges ... perhaps he'd practiced on another hole first!"

Perhaps, and probably a lazy/convenient comparison! That photo is taken almost across the green, though the medal tee (which hides low and right of the previous green) tackles it on a similar(ish) angle. The main tees take the green straight on, and from up-high:

Interestingly, a (non-Mackenzie drawn) plan made for the club's opening brochure shows the stream culverted, with the green extending across this...so perhaps not?

This was the hole that had some of us on here compare it to the par 3 on the 9 hole Dalmunzie. It would now seem Dalmunzie was laid out by Simpson but this hole does make you wonder whether MacKenzie was later called in to make changes. Unfortunately not much evidence either way.

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »

This was the hole that had some of us on here compare it to the par 3 on the 9 hole Dalmunzie. It would now seem Dalmunzie was laid out by Simpson but this hole does make you wonder whether MacKenzie was later called in to make changes. Unfortunately not much evidence either way.

Niall

I can see the comparison...though pretty rudimentary, the 7th at Dalmunzie wins for beauty!

Niall C

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Clyde

With both courses, I think it depends what time of year you visit !!

The other hole at Pitreavie that stands out as perhaps being a MacKenzie template is the 13th (?) which is very much like the hole at Pasatiempo and Cavendish which have a drive to a hog back fairway with a second shot approach over a burn/baranca/stream to a tiered green slightly off set to the left of the line of the hole (note - I've ever only seen a plan of the Cavendish hole in the DSH MacKenzie book).

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
     Thanks to Andy Stamm for his generous hosting at St Andrews today where we played our tie on the Jubilee. An excellent lunch in the St Andrews GC got proceedings off to a fine start – I can highly recommend their chicken curry.
It was a very blustery afternoon as we headed north on the front 9. This was my first experience of the Jubilee and having played the other courses on the property before I was interested to see what awaited us.

I won’t give either a hole by hole description of the course, which is hardly a hidden gem, suffice to say I enjoyed the test.  We had the good sense to play off the boxes not the back tees given the wind!

On the front 9 I particularly enjoyed the 7th which asked several questions and offered several answers. The switching of direction around the turn poses some challenging club selections in the wind but that is all part of the fun. The closing 6 holes, where the dunes are at their most prominent, are the best parts of the course. Some good short par 4’s with tricky green complexes and some stiff par 3’s to keep your attention.  Overall, I’d say I enjoyed it more than the New course due to its variety and setting close to the water.

So back to the match, it was nip and tuck right from the 1st hole with the lead swinging back and forth between us as the handicap system did its thing (Andy was donating 7 shots and I needed every one of them). All square at the turn, Andy nosed two up early in the back nine, despite all the good local advice he was feeding me on each hole. I managed to steady the ship after that and with the help of my strokes I found myself 1 up on the 18th tee. We had a quick discussion on the tee about what we would do in the event of a tie and decided a tie provided a perfect excuse for an 18 hole rematch at the West Links.A pair of pars up the last however meant that will not be necessary and the score finished at 1 up - but hopefully the visit will happen nonetheless.

Our timing could not have been better as the rain began as we walked off the 18th green.

Thanks again to Andy for being such a genial host today.

Ian

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:03:20 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ed Tilley

« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2017, 06:21:40 AM »
Sadly Mark had a last minute family event that meant that we were unable to play at Kington today and he has conceded. hopeful that we will be able to arrange a game at Enville this year as I know we were both looking forward to playing. Tony Muldoon awaits in round 2.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
I was very happy that Ian discovered a wee hidden gem in the curry, which look terrific.

I'm glad that we settled on the Jubilee as Ian hadn't played it, and it gave me an opportunity to give it a bit of a deeper think. I have to say in a massive wind we didn't really have any ball searches of note (although the roughs aren't up and we did play the boxes), and while tough, it was very playable. The Jube also has some real character with holes like the 2nd and 15th (although I'm not a huge fan of either) that does set it apart from its neighbors. The greens also have a bit more going one than the New, so you've got to think your way around the various bunkers but also into the greens a bit more. I probably don't give the Jube its due and it definitely suffers from a case of being overshadowed by the other courses and a lack of history. At the end of the day it's a very good links course, and I should remember how lucky I am to play it regularly.

I enjoyed the game and the company, and Ian earned a well deserved victory. I look forward to a go at him on the West Links and a chance at redemption.

Paul Dolton

« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »

After an enjoyable afternoon round at Huntercombe Philip came out on top 1up in our first round match.
It was nice to go back to a course I hadn't played for many years and it still has the feel of a genuine golf club and judging by the condition today a good year is in store.
Thanks for inviting me over Philip. Still the best course in Oxfordshire in my opinion.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
[quote author=Paul Dolton link=topic=64000.msg1532733#msg1532733 date=1490550963
Still the best course in Oxfordshire in my opinion.

Blasphemy!

Can't say you're wrong though.

MJohnson

« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Sadly Mark had a last minute family event that meant that we were unable to play at Kington today and he has conceded. hopeful that we will be able to arrange a game at Enville this year as I know we were both looking forward to playing. Tony Muldoon awaits in round 2.

It was incredibly frustrating that I had to cry off and let Ed down. My apologies to him and it is to his credit that he was gracious in his reply to me.

Best of luck in the next round Ed.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:04:58 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Marc Haring

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
Sam Krume and myself are playing on Thursday 27th April at Castle Combe GC at 12:52. It's a funky course on mountainous terrain with some horror story mounding here and there but some good holes including what's got to be about the most severe drop shot par three in the UK. Castle Combe can also lay claim to perhaps being about the prettiest village in the World.

By some fluke I managed to win a free round there courtesy of a nearest the pin in a Pro Am and it is for a four ball. So if any GCA'ers would like to join Sam and myself for free then please let me know here.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
Marc,

I'll be interested to hear what shape Castle Combe is in.  Over 20 years ago I (together with Giles Payne) was a country member there.  Despite the mounding (and it is terrible) and some rather over large bunkering, I used to really enjoy it and there are more than a few really good holes from what I remember.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marc Haring

« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Haven't played it myself for 15 years but I know the Course Manager Paul Bishop and he is very, very good. It was as you know a Clive Clark/Peter Alliss design but I am good friends with the Guy that did the shaping and can tell you that 90% of the design was from Clark. There were a couple of stupid unmaintainable greens that they have done away with and I believe the old blind 9th tee shot is now a par three at the top. It is about the only course in the UK that I have thought maybe walking is not such a good idea unless one has aspirations of departing this World in the style of Bing Crosby.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Indeed.  There was one particular green to tee walk which was long and uphill (somewhere near or just after the turn) that used to leave me a broken man.  And I was a fit young man training several times a week back then!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
A couple of years ago, I walked Manor House (Castle Combe as was) as my second 18-hole of the day, having just finished 18 with Sean Arble down at Burnham. Sean called me a "freak" or some such moniker. I was jiggered by the end, but, oh boy, the warm shower afterwards was to die for.

As Mark has mentioned, there are some walks between low greens and high tees that are colossal. Up from 4 to 5, 8 to 9, 11 to 12 and (just when you really need it) 17 to 18, will remind you that you're not as young as you used to be.

Whilst this may be damning with faint prize in some eyes, I think Castle Combe is Alliss and Clark's best course, although I have a soft spot for the watery and short Pyrford, over the canal from the grander Wisley. There are a bunch of very exciting holes through a very attractive site. Hole 3 is a superb short par 5, 8 a short drop shot par 4, well within reach of a crisp drive and the twin drop shot 3's at 11 and 17 are delightful. The holes on the flatter ground in the middle of the round are decent too, if a bit coiled around one another. The last is an attractive finisher, if you still have any energy to spare.

All in all a decent mid 90's style course, which had aspirations at the time of being a hyper exclusive debenture club. I still have the brochure. It was never good enough to succeed in that guise, but I'd happily play there whenever the chance arises.

If nobody steps in for the 27th I may have to take a day off.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

jeffwarne

« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »

Niall

I can see the comparison...though pretty rudimentary, the 7th at Dalmunzie wins for beauty!

Fantastic Clyde!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Boon

« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
As Sean hasnt posted anything yet, I thought I'd briefly update as he and I played Little Aston yesterday for our match.

We met the club manager who told us of works carried out recently (mainly tree clearance, but enough enough for Sean's liking!) and planned work to several holes and bunkers in general. McKenzie & Ebert have carried out a review of the bunkers and are planning on reshaping the faces of many. Those that have become too uniform are to get a slightly more wavy top edge, and those that they tried to give heather clad edges to are to be removed (nothing wrong with heather clad edges, just they arent working at LA) To be honest from the report the manager showed us it was very difficult to see the changes and it was a little like playing spot the difference, but they are planning on turning several groups of bunkers into one long cross bunker as there are several other examples on the course. Main changes though are to 10 where further tree clearance will be carried out down the left and 12 where a fairway bunker is being moved... Apparently the last tournament they had there some of the youngs lads where bombing driver on this par 5 and going in with lobwedge. As its only 485, surely it would be much easier to move the tee forwards slightly and call it a par 4?

Sean photo tour from previous rounds can be found here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38973.0.html

As for the match, I got ahead quickly, but then had quite a back nine wobble, before pulling through as a 3 & 1 winner. I think Sean could have had me on the back nine, but didnt fancy the logistics of the next round!  8)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:46:16 AM by Michael Whitaker »

Sean_A

« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »

Sean photo tour from previous rounds can be found here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38973.0.html

As for the match, I got ahead quickly, but then had quite a back nine wobble, before pulling through as a 3 & 1 winner. I think Sean could have had me on the back nine, but didnt fancy the logistics of the next round!  8)

James

Boonie

I was surely perplexed by being selected in the Scotland rather than London side of the draw, but despite appearances to the contrary, I didn't try to lose.  Your steady driver and short putting were a bridge too far....well done and good luck in the next round.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
Geez, Sean, give it a rest.

There isn't a Scottish section.  You and James were the southernmost of the northern half.  Which of the southern section should have been in it instead?  Perhaps you'd like to arrange it next year, then you can choose whichever section you want to be in?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back