News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David McIntosh

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »
Niall, Tony - very well done both on reaching the final. It doesn't seem like that long ago when the whole thing started at Goswick in January.

Ian, Sam - unlucky this time around but great efforts in advancing so far in the tournament.

Do I sense a decider at NBWL in the not too distant future?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2017, 05:06:10 AM »
David thank you. Do you agree Niall should be giving ME shots for his home avantage?

Odd that Niall and I were there for the first match and still standing at the end.

Sat 30th 2.20 it is. FBD to referee?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
First off let me say how much I enjoyed yesterday’s game and how unlucky Ian was. The scoreline of 3&2 isn’t really a fair reflection on what was for most part a fairly tight match with some fairly solid if not spectacular golf.

Bathgate was on the soft side although not squelchy, which isn’t surprising given the dowsing we have had in the north in the last few weeks. Overall the course was as good and interesting as I’d hoped. Well worth a play, especially at £30 a round, but suggest you avoid the wet season.

Tony – looking forward to it. How many shots do I get for my sciatica, dodgy swing and rotator cuff injury ?

Niall 

Sam Krume

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2017, 06:24:22 AM »
Congratulations to Tony in advancing to the final. Tony, I wish you all the best for the final round.
Tony's 3 over gross through  9 or 10(which was it Tony) made it quite tough for me!!! I was hoping for a 36 hole match buy Tony politely declined my offer ;D I hope both finalists play well and looking forward to the next knockout comp.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »
FIRST OFF, ANOTHER PLEA FOR A RETURN TO EASIER PHOTO POSTING! PLEASE!!!

Back to regular programming, we had a very nice evening's golf at Bathgate last evening. Lots of reminders around the Course of the various Ryder Cup links which was nice.
One or two really outstanding holes over way much better terrain than my memories of forty years ago. Overall, a tree management programme would be very useful, however.

I'll persevere with pics, but no promises. There's some on my Facebook page for those who FB.

Happy to ref the final, but we should also be in the presence of a transatlantic titan who we can be sure could provide a totally unbiased view!

See everyone next weekend.

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David McIntosh

« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
David thank you. Do you agree Niall should be giving ME shots for his home avantage?

Sat 30th 2.20 it is. FBD to referee?

Tony,

Niall may have home advantage in that the game will be played in Scotland but that has got to be offset by the fact the match will be on home turf for you!

According to his post, Niall seems to be barely hanging together ;) (beware the injured golfer they always say) but then again FBD has been a lucky charm for him in two of the earlier rounds....there's just nothing between the pair of you whatever way I look at it! 

Niall C

« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
David

I think you’ll find that Tony’s HOME comment is a sly dig at how many times I’ve played NB as a guest in recent years. And frankly he’s not wrong !

As a compromise, and to fit in with the ethos of taking the road less travelled, rather than playing the big course I suggest Tony and I pressgang one of the junior members in to taking us round the childrens course. It might lead to a more interesting photo tour since there can’t be too many on here who have played it.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

Well done Niall & Tony. and good luck to both of you in the final which I assume is 36 holes ;)

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
Congratulations to Tony in advancing to the final. Tony, I wish you all the best for the final round.
Tony's 3 over gross through  9 or 10(which was it Tony) made it quite tough for me!!! I was hoping for a 36 hole match buy Tony politely declined my offer ;D I hope both finalists play well and looking forward to the next knockout comp.

Thanks Sam.
One of the pleasures of this tournament has been meeting yourself and Ed for the first time. Must my mug that put you both off your game on the day! 
Won’t forget my 3 at 16. Only my second one, both this year and both times my partner also had a 3!

David McIntosh

« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
David

I think you’ll find that Tony’s HOME comment is a sly dig at how many times I’ve played NB as a guest in recent years. And frankly he’s not wrong !

As a compromise, and to fit in with the ethos of taking the road less travelled, rather than playing the big course I suggest Tony and I pressgang one of the junior members in to taking us round the childrens course. It might lead to a more interesting photo tour since there can’t be too many on here who have played it.

Niall

Ah, the mind games have started already! Come to think of it...I had wondered if you'd picked up some kind of honorary membership at NB given the frequency of your visits.  ;)

I haven't even played the Children's Course. Smart move on your part though, playing to your strengths and hoping the short game wizardry will see you through against Tony's power game!

Niall C

« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
And so we came to the final of the World Series of Golf Jim Goaby Quaich featuring myself and Tony Muldoon played over the little known and rarely mentioned West course at North Berwick. As usual Martin Bonnar was on hand to record proceedings and he took the precaution of bringing along Nancy in case the excitement of the occasion became too much.

Half way down the first Tony and I set the rules of engagement, number of strokes etc, and quickly agreed a couple of “local rules”. The first local rule was that in order to reduce the amount of mucking about looking for balls that we’d adopt the Judges Rule from Rye which states that if you lose a ball you can simply chuck a replacement ball down near where you think you lost it, adding two to your score and on the proviso that you could only then half the hole and not win it. The second local rule was that whoever had the honour got to pick whichever tee position at the next hole, be it medal, mens or ladies.

That decided we got on with the game and I managed to get off to a pretty decent start establishing a 2 hole lead after 4. I then began to play some quite scrappy golf as Tony then moved seamlessly through the gears to turn the score round to him being 4 up after 12. I managed to rally and par’d the next three holes however Tony was solid and I only managed to get back one stroke. Tony eventually closed out the match on the 16th to deservedly win 3 & 2.

There was much chat before the match and indeed during it about our respective ailments but I can use none of that as an excuse. Indeed no excuses are needed, I was simply beaten by a better golfer. So let me ask you, wherever you are, to raise a glass to the other Champion Golfer of the Year 2017, Mr Tony Muldoon.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Congratulations Tony. This gives me the consolation of being able to say that I lost to the eventual champ, even though what I should say is 'I was humped in round 1 by the eventual champ'.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
Thanks, Niall, and congratulations to the Champion, Mr Muldoon.  We must arrange a presentation.

Thanks and congratulations also to everyone who took part in this.  I know some sceptics never thought we'd see a result, let alone before the season was out.  Anyone for a repeat next year?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
Congratulations, Mr Muldoon and commiserations, Mr Carlton.
A match played in extremely good spirit with much fine golfing prowess on display.
On an architectural note, the local rules adopted by the combatants allowed for the winner of the previous hole to choose the teeing ground for the next. This resulted in some surprise choices with us playing off the Red (Ladies) tees on several occasions. What a revelation! Bunkers hove into view (and Play) which I've previously never even noticed. New lines of play became apparent and carries somewhat less heroic became playable. Fantastic how, with only that one small change, a whole new golfing experience appeared.
Great to meet fellow GCAers David and Tim again and the boys from Deal who were fine golfing and dining companions.
The presence of Mr and Mrs Redanman (and La Nancy!) was obviously the icing on the cake, of course...!
Awesome day, all.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

Well done Tony, it is never easy beating Niall. And well done Niall on reaching the final and it is no disgrace losing to Mr. Muldoon who is sneaky long off the tee and very solid thereafter. Big thanks to Mark for organising this terrific event and of course to Marty for keeping a watchful eye on proceedings.

Jon

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Well done Tony, sounds like a good final and a deserving winner. Thanks to the organisers for organising.

cheers
Ian

Rich Goodale

« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
Congrats to the worthy champ and the stellar runner-uo.  Also, great props to Mr. Pearce Esq. for organising this great competition.  I'll be there again in 2018!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
A completely bonkers idea and undoubtedly won't work but count me in.Niall

Wow thanks for all the congratulations but no need really it's been a hoot throughout.  Amazingly I walked the first 6 holes played in the comp alongside Niall and Michael at Goswick back in January. Since then I've been to meet Adam in Cambridge and two guys new to me; Ed at Oxford and Sam at Deal.  Great fun each game and spending time one on one has added to the whole GCA experience.

Niall and I have met through GCA and I'm delighted to say we've spent a lot of time together all over GB&I One of the great things about golf is meeting up with an old friend and then going out to 'kill' each other!
Cheers Niall it was great fun.

Special to celebrate afterwards with 10 others from the GCA fraternity.

Thanks Mark for the bonkers idea and Ran for providing the opportunity for so many fruitcakes to become friends.

I look forward to the second tournament in 2018.

Niall C

« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »
Thanks to all for your kind words and commiserations. Thanks also to my opponents and playing partners throughout the competition. It was great fun from start to finish and got to play some fun and interesting courses, some of which I knew well (Silloth and NB), one I had played before but only once (Pitlochry) and two others that I’d never played before (Goswick and Bathgate).

A big thank you to Mark for coming up with the idea and for cracking the whip when required to get games played. As Tony points out, I did have my doubts about whether it could be done but here we are with a newly crowned champion and 3 months of the year to go.

Assuming that it goes ahead next year, which I’m sure many of us hope it will, I’m not sure I’d change much of the format. Clearly there were some geographical issues, particularly for those in the southern part of the draw but hopefully they can be overcome.

See you all next year.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:26 AM »
FBD

Indeed, some of the original/forward tees were a revelation, the 8th in particular. We often talk about natural green sites but I wonder if “natural” sites for tees are underappreciated. There does seem to be a tendency to think the positioning of tees is purely a function of length when really they are perhaps more important than the positioning of the green in terms of the perception of the hole.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
Thanks, Mike.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Congratulations Tony! Commiserations to Niall

Look forward to 2018 version of this knockout.

Surely there should be an honours board on GCA with the winners and the venue they played in final. Also BUDA as well as other GCA related events

Cheers
Ben

Sean_A

« Reply #323 on: October 02, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Well done Spangles.  It is good to know you and Niall applied a modified Torda Cup rule and the man with honour choose the tee.  Question...did the Torda Cup rule make a difference on any hole?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2017, 05:38:23 AM »
Sean

Hard to say. I don’t think there was much difference in length between the various tee boxes on the par 4’s. Interestingly we chose to move to the forward tee on 3 of the par 4’s (my choice on 4 and 15 and Tony’s choice on 10). For me that was to hit a club I was more comfortable with.

For the par 5’s Tony chose the forward tee on 8th and the back tee on 9th and 11th. I think by that time he might have sussed that my driver wasn’t behaving too well and that maybe lengthening the hole might work in his favour.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back