News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Clyde Johnson

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2017, 08:31:35 AM »
Well, me and Rich headed east from The Kingdom to the Lanarkshire moors for our second round match at Bonnyton.

Surely heading east from the Kingdom puts you in the North Sea?  :)

Well I am glad somebody bothered to read my course report. If you keep going east, you'll eventually reach Bonnyton...!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Excellent retort Clyde.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:03:38 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:06 AM »
Mike

Once again, thanks for keeping the drawsheet updated.

Niall

Ed Tilley

« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »
Tony beat me 4 and 2 at Oxford. Unfortunately my wild driving was at its wildest and I didn't make Tony work too hard. I hadn't played Oxford for years and it was in excellent condition with very quick greens. Well worth a visit - below is a picture of the "signature" 12th.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
Tony beat me 4 and 2 at Oxford. Unfortunately my wild driving was at its wildest and I didn't make Tony work too hard. I hadn't played Oxford for years and it was in excellent condition with very quick greens. Well worth a visit - below is a picture of the "signature" 12th.

No picture of the Godawful new pond on the 18th?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:55:07 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Well, me and Rich headed east from The Kingdom to the Lanarkshire moors for our second round match at Bonnyton.

Surely heading east from the Kingdom puts you in the North Sea?  :)

Well I am glad somebody bothered to read my course report. If you keep going east, you'll eventually reach Bonnyton...!

I'm pretty sure I got the dreaded Lurghy whist following Clyde's directions to Bonnyton via Foulepointe in Madagascar.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ed Tilley

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »

No picture of the Godawful new pond on the 18th?

I'd heard bad things about the pond but I really wasn't prepared for the full horror of it. How did that possibly get built?

Paul Dolton

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »

Hi Ed
Glad to hear Oxford GC was in good shape. Spent my childhood there and have great memories of the club. As you said the 12th is a great hole . Always thought 17 was excellent especially the green . And the fairway on 6 was another favourite. Haven't played the "new" 18th but always thought the old one had plenty of protection with out of bounds on the putting green and bunkering on the left.
There used to be a par 3 between the 5th green and 6th tee. And I think you played from the 7th tee to the 8th green.

Paul

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
Some buffoon left them a pile of money specifically to build a pond on the 18th. And they did. Why, search me.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »

Hi Ed
Glad to hear Oxford GC was in good shape. Spent my childhood there and have great memories of the club. As you said the 12th is a great hole . Always thought 17 was excellent especially the green . And the fairway on 6 was another favourite. Haven't played the "new" 18th but always thought the old one had plenty of protection with out of bounds on the putting green and bunkering on the left.
There used to be a par 3 between the 5th green and 6th tee. And I think you played from the 7th tee to the 8th green.

Paul

Paul

I am a big fan of Oxford...reminds me of Harborne...same shaping.  It makes total sense that the short 8th is a created hole because it doesn't look right to my eye...the hole stands out as odd.  Oxford is far more than a two trick pony.  Get the chain saw out, let the shaping shine and folks could really see something very cool. Thanks for info.

See the tour I did some years ago.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43021.msg926943.html#msg926943

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:58:16 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Neil White

« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
Some diary conflicts have led to Philip and myself not being able to play our match at Tadmarton until June 18th.

Tony,

Congrats on your win - may or may not see you in the next round......

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:44 AM »
Sam Krume and I are going to play our Southern Region Semi-Final (bigging it up) at Knole Park, hopefully by mid June.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:15:39 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
I hope the guys who played their matches at Concession had fun!

;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
Myself and Ian are lined-up to play at Peebles tomorrow evening...looking like a wet one!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
Myself and Ian are lined-up to play at Peebles tomorrow evening...looking like a wet one!
Excellent.  This match will give us our first semi-finalist.  Any news on the outstanding match from the previous round, Neil, Philip?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sam Krume

« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2017, 03:45:45 AM »
Robin and I are playing our match this Sunday at Knole Park Golf Club. The course has apparently stretched some holes, giving another 400 yards to the card. I guess not to difficult when you are based in a 1000 acre deer park!! The course will also be holding the Tillman trophy this year, for those that don't know the Tillman is an Open Amateur 72 Hole Scratch Stroke Play Event gathering players from all the country. Will report back later...

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2017, 04:22:19 AM »
'Dreich' is a fine Scots word which perfectly describes the weather in Peebles when Clyde and I met last night for our match. I enjoyed the Colt course and I'm sure Clyde will be along with some of the many photos he took to give more professional assessment of this hilltop course.

Looking back over the round without the help of any photos I must say I struggle to differentiate from memory many of the holes, which I guess tells it's own story. There must be 8-10 tree-lined, sub-400 yrs par fours (off the whites), either slightly up or down hill, with greens that are weakly guarded by bunkers front left and or front right.

We could see (through this mist) how lovely the views over the town  and surroundings would be on a nice day - so I'm sure it's worth a return visit when one of those appears.

The match turned out to be a tight affair, only finishing on the 18th green where I coaxed in a nervy 3 footer for a 1 up win.

Thanks to Clyde for his excellent company and insight into the life of someone in the GCA business.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2017, 05:01:39 AM »
Ian,
Some pics and discussion of Peebles from my 2012 visit. Think I enjoyed it more than you!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52799.msg1212945.html#msg1212945

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:47:41 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #271 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »
Sam Krume and I played our match at the beautiful Knole Park, in Sevenoaks yesterday. It was a ding-dong match for the first two-thirds, until I toe ended a drive OOB on the 14th, which gave Sam the daylight to complete a 4&2 win. Watch out for Sam, he's a solid player, with a very tidy short game that denied me on several occasions.

As for Knole Park, I found it to be a total delight. Upon arrival, I was greeted with the charming sight of several dozen Sika deer grazing nonchalantly between the putting green and the 1st tee. The deer were to be found throughout the golf course and are very tame.

Deer by the clubhouse

The course is the work of Abercromby, Coombe and Simpson and bears comparison with Abercromby's work at The Addington. Like the Addington, there are six par 3's, all of which are quite long, though the downhill 7th played much shorter due to a following wind and firm ground. You are often hitting down into valleys and back up to shelf greens. It's a bit like Hindhead in this respect.

After one lap of the course it was the 6th hole which struck me as the best strategic hole. The best driving line is over the blind hill to the left, beyond which acres of fairway can be discovered, but the sight line entices you to the right, where hidden bunkers, hollows and ridges lie in wait. Approaches into the green are closed off from the right, but open from the left.

The 6th hole.

The aerial better illustrates the strategy. Signs of old bunkers set into the left hillside are evident and can be seen as they were by going back in time on the Google Earth timeline. A classic and imaginative design strategy perfectly suited to the terrain.

The best green is found on the long par 3 12th, playing across a valley to an elevated green. A ridge bisects the green, creating a fabulous pocket in the back left corner. With the pin cut below the ridge and my ball above it and just off the green, I had no hope of getting close.

Hole 12 with the diagonal whaleback ridge going from left to right, creating a handkerchief sized hole location in the back left corner. (Sam's photo)

And here I am discovering forlornly that my tee shot has surmounted the ridge and nestles just off the green whilst Sam's ball sits proudly 20 feet from the pin. I holed out in four, Sam in three, but was pleased to find out I got a shot...on a par 3! (Sam's photo)

If the course has one problem, it is the invasive encroachment of bracken. In places it is getting very close to the playing corridors. Management of bracken is very difficult as the chemical used to eradicate it has been banned, except in exceptional circumstances. Bracken is also a haven for the ticks that can give you Lyme's Disease, so you don't really want to go wading in there in your shorts. There must be a ripe harvest of golf balls in the winter, including my Pro V which is just a yard into the gunch to the right of the 4th green. It's got a red dot if you find it!

Knole Park is a prime example of the kind of charming and rustic golf courses that you only find in the UK. It sits gently upon the terrain and winds its way around the expansive 1000 acre park, revealing great vista upon great vista. In the distance you may hear the gentle sounds of a cricket match, or live brass band music emanating from the grounds of nearby Knole House. On a beautiful, sunny and warm Sunday afternoon in July, being there made me feel extremely grateful to live in England.

Here are a few more captioned photos from our day. Good luck to Sam in the rest of the competition.

View from the 3rd tee to the distant pulpit green. Plenty of fairway hidden down below.

Par 3 5th hole. A cruel right kick off of Abercromby's greenside mounding cost me the hole! Note the bracken.

Downhill par 3 7th. 180 yards on the card, but I was thirty yards long with a 7-iron! The Beatles Strawberry Fields was filmed to the left of this hole.

A panoramic view towards the 9th hole from the 13th fairway, revealing the typical parkland landscape of the upper plateau.

Shortish par 4 13th. Lay up short of the curious hillside pond and flip on a wedge.

Down into the valley and back up again to the green on the par 5 15th. The deer sheltering in the trees to the left about to have their peaceful afternoon shattered by another RH pull hook!

Approach to the skyline par 5 17th green, with one of Abercromby's pits in the foreground. The crowned approach and firm fairways made for exacting iron play. (Sam's photo)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:35:03 AM by Robin_Hiseman »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:05:02 PM by Michael Whitaker »

MJohnson

« Reply #273 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
Excellent.  This match will give us our first semi-finalist.  Any news on the outstanding match from the previous round, Neil, Philip?

I'm pretty sure Neil and Phillip have played. I will get Neil to update and confirm.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Sam Krume

« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2017, 02:44:24 AM »
All gone quiet on the knockout front. Any news?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back