News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Wailua Municpal Golf Course
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
I visited Wailua Municipal Golf Course on Kauai a few days ago and came away fascinated.  I paid $48 to walk a course at an incredible location with what must be over a mile of relatively flat ocean-front property with enough rolling land to make it a near ideal site for golf.  I greatly enjoyed the round and suspect this has to be one of the best low price golf options that exists anywhere.

The roar of ocean waves provides the backdrop to the entire round and this picture provides one example of the views available at the course:

However, the operation of the course is clearly lacking.  It has a reputation for being packed and for yielding slow rounds.  That was not the case during my visit.  However, on December 26 the snack shop was not open and the vending machine was broken.  Odd, given that the week between Christmas and New Years has to be one of the peak weeks of the year and the course is apparently doing poorly from a financial perspective.   Cearly, there is controversy within the local government on how to handle the course.  Here is an excerpt from a recent local news story:

Yukimura also believes the mayor is avoiding the main issue, which is how to make the course profitable and viable.
“The council has asked over and over again for an effective plan, but I haven’t seen anything thus far. This is the main problem, and it needs to be solved.”

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/mayor-wants-to-veto-wailua-golf-course-alcohol-bill/article_b7f48535-347f-5617-93f4-f44b5f606cb4.html

The course itself is a very solid routing with very pedestrian green and bunkers.  Green sizes have shrunk considerably over time and vegetation could be pruned.  Despite these shortcomings, it is a very pleasant walk on a special location.  I would be happy to have this course as my home course.  Locals favor the course as well, particularly given a rate of around $14. 

With the right changes, I suspect a course on this location could be an elite golf destination.  The land is terrific and unique, with the only drawback I can see being the clay that dominates the entire island.  Nonetheless, many great courses have been built on such soil.

However, I doubt that creating a world class golf course would be the best outcome.  As it sits now, it provides an outstanding value to the public at a price that cannot be beaten.  I assume the place could be operating profitably with appropriate management and the course could be greatly improved with some very modest investments.

If you had dictatorial power over the course would you create a world class course or would you strive for an affordable alternative that has a solid business model?

Matthew Petersen

Re: Wailua Municpal Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
I wouldn't want to see it developed into yet another big ticket course, even if we could somehow guarantee it would be great architecture (and it wouldn't take too much to make it the best course on the island).

I'm sad to hear they have difficulties and, frankly, I'm not sure why. They don't charge much, sure, but the maintenance and service level I experienced there wouldn't seem to demand an huge budget.

I think golf needs more of this. The course a local can play as often as time allows, not once or twice a year because the price tag is so steep. A place where you walk and appreciate the setting. Where the golf is pretty good and that's good enough.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »
Jason, you happened upon one of my favorites!

My parents have a timeshare at Waiohai down near Poipu Bay, and I have visited Kauai 5 or 6 times, playing everything of note.  Wailua is still my favorite by a good margin...with perhaps the new private Kukui'ula in second and Poipu in third (have not played Princeville in a long time, or its refurbished sister the Makai).

It's not an intricate design, but over 4 or 5 plays, I have realized that its simplicity is its genius.  There are no doubt 6-8 forgettable holes, but the others are well worth the trip.  The 2-4 (or 5) stretch is very challenging, and I love the back nine with its suble and limited yet significant elevation changes.

Another great feature is when you check in you sign the 3 or 4-foot tall leather-bound guest book that goes back to god-knows-when!

My dad says good things about Puakea (but most of it is hard behind the Walmart, not in the neat-looking jungle holes that are all over the website), and I have also not seen the redone Kiele....I have heard the 9-holer with the Japanese rock gardens that was built for the plantation workers is really cool but I have not done that either...must go back!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:34 AM »
Jason, you happened upon one of my favorites!

My parents have a timeshare at Waiohai down near Poipu Bay, and I have visited Kauai 5 or 6 times, playing everything of note.  Wailua is still my favorite by a good margin...with perhaps the new private Kukui'ula in second and Poipu in third (have not played Princeville in a long time, or its refurbished sister the Makai).

It's not an intricate design, but over 4 or 5 plays, I have realized that its simplicity is its genius.  There are no doubt 6-8 forgettable holes, but the others are well worth the trip.  The 2-4 (or 5) stretch is very challenging, and I love the back nine with its suble and limited yet significant elevation changes.

Another great feature is when you check in you sign the 3 or 4-foot tall leather-bound guest book that goes back to god-knows-when!

My dad says good things about Puakea (but most of it is hard behind the Walmart, not in the neat-looking jungle holes that are all over the website), and I have also not seen the redone Kiele....I have heard the 9-holer with the Japanese rock gardens that was built for the plantation workers is really cool but I have not done that either...must go back!

I totally agree Brad.   This one would be my pick on the island. 

[size=78%]There is a thread with a tour of Puukea that gives a good sense of the course.   Makai was much better than I expected.  I played Poipu ten years ago and did not think much of it.   [/size]

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »
Yeah for some reason I like Poipu more than most, but part of it is that the family's place is only a few minutes away.  I do like the finishing stretch there, and when the wind blows, there is some decent strategy to it.

I've been meaning to get back to the Prince too, but it's for masochistic reasons more than anything.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
Yeah for some reason I like Poipu more than most, but part of it is that the family's place is only a few minutes away.  I do like the finishing stretch there, and when the wind blows, there is some decent strategy to it.

I've been meaning to get back to the Prince too, but it's for masochistic reasons more than anything.

Prince is closed.  It looks like they are doing minimal maintenance.  It is unclear whether they are redoing the course or trying to figure out how to make it viable.   

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
I didn't care much for Poipu.

The 'new' Makai has some good moments, though the inland holes are pretty forgettable.

When open and in playable condition, I would take Prince as the best on the island ... or at least the one most likely to really give you a bang for the buck you pay to play any of your Princeville courses or Poipu or whatever they call Kauai Lagoons (two seaside holes and the rest dreck) these days. But given that you could play Wailua ... what 4-5 times for the cost of a round at Prince, it's value puts it over the top for me, no doubt.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
Jason,

Great post and thanks for sharing. 

I've never been to Hawaii but I would put this course high on my list as I do with most cities I visit as I have a preoccupation with municipal golf courses.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »
I go to Kauai every year and am very familiar with the Wailua course..  The locals and especially the seniors
play it for almost nothing.  Playing early in the morning is really an experience there.  They play in about 3 hours
and everybody moves.  I find the course has plenty of challenge and a good variety of shots. The greens are
mostly a little elevated and well protected by bunkers.  With the wind at different angles, precise iron shots
are required.  As mentioned above there are some excellent stretches of holes and the back nine is very good.
17 is a terrrific downhill par 3 right on the ocean.  Apparently they have had U.S. Open qualifying there. Good
value even for a non resident.

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »
Wayne,

But as a rater did you play it for free? Oops sorry... wrong Wayne!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:28:47 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
Hosted the US Publinks in 1975, 1985, and 1996!

V_Halyard

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
Great play Jason. Have been to Kauai a number of times for both work and pleasure. This is a great track early am with the locals who pride their pace of play. I suspect there is an organized underground effort to keep the operation less than efficient in favor of local access.  I think a magnanimous dictatorial move might mirror that of BethPage. Improve operations and facility with a firm commitment to maintenance of municipal/public ownership and priority pricing and access for locals.  A Lambeau field of golf...  Go Packers.  Couldn't help myself.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
I love Wailua. It's the only time I've played in Hawaii that I felt I was getting a glimpse into a true local's golf experience. Loved the no shoes and no shirt from many on the course the day I played. Agree that 2-5 were the highlights. Agree that the back nine is decent as well. 2x the fun at 1/5th the cost of the other options on Kaui.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back