News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Chambers

Any predictions for more 2018 closures?

Seriously?!?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jeff Schley

Forest Meadows closed as of January it appears.  Was 18, then down to 9 holes a few years ago and apparently can't stay open as the homeowners won't buy the course.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_82b439cc-f188-11e7-95ae-bfee200efa52.html
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joel_Stewart

Forest Meadows closed as of January it appears.  Was 18, then down to 9 holes a few years ago and apparently can't stay open as the homeowners won't buy the course.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_82b439cc-f188-11e7-95ae-bfee200efa52.html

Thanks, I've added it and another mentioned in the article LA Contenta.

This list is becoming very large and much more work then I anticipated. 

Tim Leahy

Loved La Contenta. 13th was one of the best par 3's in Cali. Out of the way but worth the drive. It will be missed.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Leahy

La Contenta is back. All 18. Lockeford Springs is keeping nine holes.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Greg Chambers

Vellano CC in Chino Hills just closed.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jeff Schley

Carmel Mountain Ranch CC in San Diego area is closing July 8th.  Never played it, so can't comment, but quite a few have closed in SD during the past year.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-carmel-mountain-ranch-country-club-closing-20180619-story.html
- Steve Prefontaine

Alex Miller

Carmel Mountain Ranch CC in San Diego area is closing July 8th.  Never played it, so can't comment, but quite a few have closed in SD during the past year.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-carmel-mountain-ranch-country-club-closing-20180619-story.html

It's the worst golf course I've ever played!

Matt_Cohn

Yeah, it's not very good. But you've never seen so many houses around a course. I'm sure there will be all kinds of interesting legal stuff.

Tim Leahy

Yeah, it's not very good. But you've never seen so many houses around a course. I'm sure there will be all kinds of interesting legal stuff.
Figuring 4 new houses per hole at a minimum of 500g per house in that area. Was that course worth north of $40 million?

David Kelly

Vellano CC in Chino Hills just closed.
Another Greg Norman botch job on land that probably shouldn't have been a golf course to begin with.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Stamm

Agree with Alex. It's definitely in the running for worst course I've ever played.

We are knocking 'em dead down here. 8 courses in 4 years with more to come....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Greg Hohman

Warner Springs in rural San Diego wants to add nine.
newmonumentsgc.com

Joel_Stewart

Re: An unofficial list of California courses that are closed (8th update)
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
Now with the 8th update, I added 4 more courses to the list and took 2 off the list.

Added,

Kern Valley in Bakersfield, Ocean Meadow in Santa Barbara, Vellano and Carmel Mountain Ranch.

Thanks for all the input.

Joel_Stewart

I've added 2 more courses in California.

The Ranch in San Jose and Sierra La Verne CC in Southern California.

Any other updates please leave a comment.

Mark Provenzano

I didn't see Ridgemark in Hollister on the list:

https://sanbenito.com/2018/08/30/new-homes-businesses-to-grow-ridgemark/
http://www.golfcalifornia.com/departments/coursereviews/ridgemark-golf-country-club-hollister-san-jose-13398.htm

They originally had 18 holes, then expanded and split that course into parts of two 18 hole layouts, Gabilan and Diablo. When they downsized in 2014, they kept a composite layout that differed from the original 18, so I'm not sure how you'd document that loss. Lots of homeowners who had golf course lots suddenly found themselves with a dried up mess.

Jon McSweeny

Diamond Valley Golf Course in Hemet shut down in early June.
I can't find a good link but they were sending me emails announcing the closure and the comments on their Facebook page indicate it is no longer operating.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:38:04 PM by Jon McSweeny »

Pat Burke

I can't find a good link but they were sending me emails announcing the closure and the comments on their Facebook page indicate it is no longer operating.

Been a miracle it has stayed open the past 3/4 years
The drought, draining of the aquifer by ag (largely alfalfa), and possibly the dam that was built nearby basically dried up 5 of the 6 wells they had.  The sixth well was limited too.

For the last 3+ years Bill Martin changed every sprinkler setup and basically spritzed enough water to try not to completely lose all the Bermuda in the fairways,tees and greens in the summer time.  Trying to keep it alive until the evaporation rates got low enough to actually have the grass grow a little.  The last three summers, the course basically looked closed except the greens were barely growing.  He also kept a single strip of grass going on the tees
All the surrounds of the course were gone, but if you hit it in the fairway and in the green you could play

He kept the course going with a 3 man crew those years and honestly I tried to get him to write a book about what he was doing.  At times the course was awful especially late in the desert summer, but when he got a little bit of a weather break, it was pretty amazing what the playing areas were like with no money and no water

Diamond Valleys demise was inevitable unfortunately, but knowing what Bill did to try to keep it going with nothing and no support is an amazing story and his experience could be invaluable to any course trying to survive

Doug_Nickels

Mare Island Golf Course closed in February.  This may or may not be permanent. 
http://www.colliersparrish.com/attachment.aspx?articleid=105910

Tim Leahy

Mare Island Golf Course closed in February.  This may or may not be permanent. 
http://www.colliersparrish.com/attachment.aspx?articleid=105910
Hopefully it doesn't close. Front nine was one of the oldest courses west of the Mississippi. Great views and a nice way to beat the valley heat in the summer.

Brian Finn

Please add or edit.  Some of the dates may not be accurate.

Northern California
Forest Meadow aka Murphys 9, Calaveras (2017)

Forest Meadows is currently open, and looking likely to change ownership in the near future, after which it will continue operating under a new name, with enhancements to the golf course and other amenities.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:05:57 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jeff Schley

Been a miracle it has stayed open the past 3/4 years
The drought, draining of the aquifer by ag (largely alfalfa), and possibly the dam that was built nearby basically dried up 5 of the 6 wells they had.  The sixth well was limited too.

For the last 3+ years Bill Martin changed every sprinkler setup and basically spritzed enough water to try not to completely lose all the Bermuda in the fairways,tees and greens in the summer time.  Trying to keep it alive until the evaporation rates got low enough to actually have the grass grow a little.  The last three summers, the course basically looked closed except the greens were barely growing.  He also kept a single strip of grass going on the tees
All the surrounds of the course were gone, but if you hit it in the fairway and in the green you could play

He kept the course going with a 3 man crew those years and honestly I tried to get him to write a book about what he was doing.  At times the course was awful especially late in the desert summer, but when he got a little bit of a weather break, it was pretty amazing what the playing areas were like with no money and no water

Diamond Valleys demise was inevitable unfortunately, but knowing what Bill did to try to keep it going with nothing and no support is an amazing story and his experience could be invaluable to any course trying to survive

I played DV probably 10 or so times when I lived down in Murrieta and thought it was a very nice course for the money. They had a great deal for like 35 bucks with lunch on the weekend as I recall.  Quirky, but for the money and the area it was a nice course IMO.
- Steve Prefontaine

Pat Burke

DV was an interesting place.  I have an enormous bias.  My stepfather co designed the course, oversaw construction and had the maintenance contract on the course since it opened.  Taiwan based ownership, the course was Shortchanged in construction funds before it opened.
Bermuda fairways and greens, it was a snowbird haven and over seeded for the winter season.  With very limited resources it was consistently in beautiful condition in the overseed season

Played some mini tour events in early 2000s and everybody was always shocked at the conditions. It was a quirky good value as mentioned, but ownership was. Using something

When the dam, drought and drop of the acquifer hit hard, the course was kept alive with a crew that averaged 3

It’s amazing it survived the past two years and a bit weird that after such a wet winter, they decided to pull the plug this summer.

I’m assuming they’re up to something with the property, it’s just been too strange how it’s been done

Another Cal course going back to dirt

Jeff Schley

Played some mini tour events in early 2000s and everybody was always shocked at the conditions.

Gateway Tour?  My buddy Chris Kamin played a few times there and I would go play practice round with him at DV before. You may know him if you did the Gateway.
- Steve Prefontaine

Pat Burke

Yes. Gateway was one of the mini tours that played , I was working for gateway back then. Guys thought they would shoot zero at Diamond Valley and the firm greens surprised them

I did know Kris back then. Heck of a player!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back