News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: The infallible moderns
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
John, how do you define an "infallible" golf course?  Why should there be 10?

+1 John please give us your definition of infallible!

I define infallible in Papal terms. Though I don't always agree with and seldom practice accordingly I believe Pope Francis to be infallible. Perfection not void of errors. Kinda like how Oakmont is infallible in spite of its stanch defenders.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 03:48:23 PM »
Why the disdain for fish tacos?

Old Tom Morris didn't need fish tacos served in the grille room.

Well, then, it's obvious that OTM never actually HAD a fish taco
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »
Augusta National.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
I've yet to play s truly perfect, i.e. "infallible" golf course, but Ballyneal comes closest by my sensibilities. It is hard to find fault with Sand Hills, Barnbougle, Friar's Head, or Pacific Dunes. there are lots of other GCA favorites that are not far behind, such as Kingsley and Wolf point. Of those, Wolf Point amazes me most, given the the land was so seemingly unimpressive before the creation of the golf course.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »
The Confidential Guide for Catholics (with Apocrypha). 

It could be a fine companion piece.

A scale of 1-7 (for the cardinal virtues), and a marked bias towards the work of the ODG.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
The Confidential Guide for Catholics (with Apocrypha). 

It could be a fine companion piece.

A scale of 1-7 (for the cardinal virtues), and a marked bias towards the work of the ODG.

Doak has been forgiven for Quail Crossing. He only had to say three Mike Keiser's

David Davis

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »

+1 John please give us your definition of infallible!

I define infallible in Papal terms. Though I don't always agree with and seldom practice accordingly I believe Pope Francis to be infallible. Perfection not void of errors. Kinda like how Oakmont is infallible in spite of its stanch defenders.

In that case I have to change my answer completely. Basing it on the Doak scale I'd say Castle Course given your metrics.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
Where did I say anything about the Doak scale? I'll never accept that a course is worth traveling to until someone else makes the trip and says it's not worth traveling to.

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »
All this top 100 stuff and top 10 stuff complicates things for me.  I see golf courses like I do attractive women.  Think about it...some beauty contest writers somewhere are drooling all over the top 50 in some "miss America" contest somewhere and half of them may have never had a date....then you got some "new money guys sitting there trying to snake the contestants while there's a whole bunch of dudes hanging around the perimeters of the contest actually nailing the women that are just hanging around. This golf course stuff is the same thing....sorry to sound sexist....there is too much out there and as the saying goes  for golf courses and other things  "even the worst is wonderful"  ..... 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »

+1 John please give us your definition of infallible! Pete Dye, Doak and C&C?

What about Kingsley Club? What about Queenwood? Maybe The European Club, Diamante Dunes, All other Bandon courses, Gamble Sands (though I've not been yet), Shanqin Bay, Tara Iti (not been yet), Cape Kidnappers (not been yet), Wolf Point.

Just to name a few.

The European Club infallible?

Ash Towe

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »
Tara Iti belongs in this company.

Cape Wickham is as good as some mentioned but it is not perfect.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »
We can all read the question differently but if you try and think 50 years in to the future when trends have changed and the Renaissance is no longer the talk of the town, which courses from this era are likely to be untouchable in the eyes of the general golfing public.

The answer are those that are at the very top end of a current world 100... or those that have had history in-built by hosting a few memorable majors. All the others are at a risk of becoming less the flavour of the day, despite their obvious quality.

BCowan

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 06:14:48 AM »
Sand Hollow
Gozzor Ranch
Naples National
Pete Dye gc
World Woods
RTJ Golf trail
The Fields
The Honors
Caledonia

Mark Pearce

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »
I'm rather hoping Barnbougle Dunes belongs on this list.

I've played two courses mentioned so far, Kingsbarns and TGC.  Both are excellent.  Neither is infallible, whatever that means.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »
How about Rock Creek?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »
Some different categories - GB&I -

Amongst GCA cognoscenti - Cruit island! Carne's 27.
Exclusiveness - Queenwood. Maybe Skibo/Carnigie. Maybe Renaissance.
Modern links - Kingsbarns. Maybe Castle Stuart.

Atb
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:48:29 PM by Thomas Dai »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
How about Rock Creek?

Jim,

i was wondering the same.  There is no way Rock Creek can be excluded from that list..

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
Hidden Creek in New Jersey??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back