News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

Inglewood G&CC - near Seattle
« on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:57 PM »
What's the opinion of Inglewood - both as a golf course and as a club?

I've played it a few times and am aware it is a fairly well-preserved A.V. Macan layout. The property is fairly severe in places and a few holes seem a little compromised by Real Estate.

Where would Inglewood fit within the rankings of the Seattle golf crowd?

Dan Gallaway

Re: Inglewood G&CC - near Seattle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
I would put Inglewood behind only Aldarra when compared to the other eastside privates.  I felt there was plenty of character and variety to the holes.  Greens provided challenge and strategy. Trees framed the holes while not impinging on play.  While I put it #2, it's the course I most want to play again.  FWIW I would put Plateau at the bottom.  And thanks to an insiders tip, The Rogerita is sweeping my neighborhood.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

I've played it a few times and am aware it is a fairly well-preserved A.V. Macan layout. The property is fairly severe in places and a few holes seem a little compromised by Real Estate.

Steve - it's just about my favorite club in the Seattle area.  Without going into too much detail (yet), I think it's fair to say it's extremely underrated in the area.  It's location (unfortunately) probably accounts for a lot of it. It's definitely in the upper echelon conversation with Seattle GC and Broadmoor.

It has a very cool flow to it ... eases you in with two par 5s to start, then a short par.  That short par 4 by the way I would put in the top 10 par 4s under 300 yards in the country.

The meat is 5 through 14.  Get through those and you're going to have a good day.  15 and 18 are pretty benign par 5s coming down the stretch with a really good par 3, 16th as well.

You could throw #10 on Augusta and it wouldn't miss a beat.

It's a great membership too.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »
I would put Inglewood behind only Aldarra when compared to the other eastside privates.  I felt there was plenty of character and variety to the holes.  Greens provided challenge and strategy. Trees framed the holes while not impinging on play.  While I put it #2, it's the course I most want to play again.  FWIW I would put Plateau at the bottom.  And thanks to an insiders tip, The Rogerita is sweeping my neighborhood.

Dan - agree on the Plateau comment.  Interesting you say you'd rather play Inglewood than Aldarra but personally rate Aldarra above it.  The only criteria I use is "which one would I rather play?"

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

Out of curiosity, Mike, what about it's location do you think is detrimental? Fircrest and Tacoma G&CC seem to be thought of highly and I would think that the north end of Lake Washington would be viewed in greater favor than Tacoma.

What do you think are Inglewood's strengths and weaknesses?

How would you define the culture of the club?

What constitutes a great membership?

How would you compare it to Overlake, Everett, Seattle, Sand Point, etc that are established clubs within north/east part of the city (I don't include Bear Creek or newer private real estate golf courses)?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve - it's just about my favorite club in the Seattle area.  Without going into too much detail (yet), I think it's fair to say it's extremely underrated in the area.  It's location (unfortunately) probably accounts for a lot of it. It's definitely in the upper echelon conversation with Seattle GC and Broadmoor.

It has a very cool flow to it ... eases you in with two par 5s to start, then a short par.  That short par 4 by the way I would put in the top 10 par 4s under 300 yards in the country.

The meat is 5 through 14.  Get through those and you're going to have a good day.  15 and 18 are pretty benign par 5s coming down the stretch with a really good par 3, 16th as well.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »

Out of curiosity, Mike, what about it's location do you think is detrimental? Fircrest and Tacoma G&CC seem to be thought of highly and I would think that the north end of Lake Washington would be viewed in greater favor than Tacoma.

I don't think it's detrimental ... It's just a bit out of the city.  Fiercest and TGCC are both great, but as far as comparing those to IGC, you may as well be talking about courses in different states (have you driven around Seattle lately?)  Inglewood just isn't as convenient as say, Broadmoor or Overlake.

What do you think are Inglewood's strengths and weaknesses?

On a very simple level, it's a great course with a ton of great people.  I would never tire of playing it.  Doesn't hurt that it's always in very good shape.

How would you define the culture of the club?

Blue collar and up.  Active. Non-pretentious.

What constitutes a great membership?

Not a bunch of dick-heads. 

How would you compare it to Overlake, Everett, Seattle, Sand Point, etc that are established clubs within north/east part of the city (I don't include Bear Creek or newer private real estate golf courses)?

This is more fit for a conversation.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
Inglewood was just such an unexpected pleasure.  I had seen many pictures and threads on Aldarra and Fazio, but virtually nothing on Inglewood or Macan.  It was also the first classic era course I had played.  Very interested in seeing more Macan designs.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »
"Roger" is very appreciative of the feedback!

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »
Haven't been out there for a number of years, but I think as a course it is in the same league as Seattle, Broadmoor and Sahalee. Like it more than the others you mention, Sand Point, Everett and Overlake. Always thought it had one of the best memberships and cultures, if not the best in the area.

Fircrest and Tacoma are now closer to Portland area than Seattle area.. ;)

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »
I joined out there 10+ years ago mostly because there is no place in the Greater Seattle area I'd rather play on a consistent basis.  In general I find the area to be a little weak when it comes to really strong GCA. 

It's an excellent routing on a pretty severe property that a lesser architect could have made a mess of. 

Location is actually pretty good being at the north end or Lake Washington as you can easily draw from both Seattle and Bellevue areas (and others). 

Like most golden age tracks, a lot has gone neglected and is slowly starting to be fixed.  Trees have gotten out of control, greens and fairways have shrunk, collar dams have formed, bunkers are worn out rounded ovals, etc.  7 greens are non-original, most of which clash architecturaly with the other 11 really interesting Macan originals. 

There are some great members out there, but there are also some that are more concerned with remodeling restaurants, locker rooms, wine events, taco night, book club, bingo night, etc., not to mention a few long time members that think they know better than every expert we've engaged. 

Having said all that I still enjoy playing out there...never gets old...always a new lie to experience.  Should get a little more renovation/restoration work done this spring.  Hopefully in a few years we can revisit this thread, as the potential that exists out there is extremely high, in my very biased opinion. 

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the routing is brilliant in how it navigates a hilly site. From what I've seen/heard a few recent changes to some of the bunkering and drainage has been beneficial.

Which are the non-original greens?

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
1,2,13,14,15,16,18.  All should be blown up. 

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »

It's like comparing Adele and Cyndi Lauper.  Adele is accepted as the superior talent.  But I'll take Lauper any day.  I have no idea if that analogy works or not, but it sounded good in my head.

Dan - agree on the Plateau comment.  Interesting you say you'd rather play Inglewood than Aldarra but personally rate Aldarra above it.  The only criteria I use is "which one would I rather play?"

Mike Wagner

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »

It's like comparing Adele and Cyndi Lauper.  Adele is accepted as the superior talent.  But I'll take Lauper any day.  I have no idea if that analogy works or not, but it sounded good in my head.

I get it.  I enjoy playing Aldarra, but I think it's the most overrated course in WA.

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »
Brad,

Is Jeff Mingay working with Inglewood?
H.P.S.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »
Brad,

Is Jeff Mingay working with Inglewood?
Yes he is.  The restorative based renovation work he has done on two holes is excellent IMO.  Hopeful of fixing a couple more next spring.  Lots of politics and not enough leadership unfortunately.  It does feel like the tide is slowly turning...

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
A good taco night is worth .5 of a Doak point.

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
A good taco night is worth .5 of a Doak point.

Particularly if they are street tacos.

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »

I get it.  I enjoy playing Aldarra, but I think it's the most overrated course in WA.

Perhaps. Depends on what you like, and what it is being rated against. It definitely feels more modern than the traditional PNW  courses that these others exemplify, and its very difficult for an average player. I think from memory you are a very good player, and most good players really like it. And yes my rating of it is certainly a homer opinion (although no longer a member), but I have it as the clearly  second best course in Western WA, and the best private in the state..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:46:36 PM by Sean Leary »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
I very much enjoyed playing Aldarra with Sean a few years ago. There were a few holes where distance and character seems to interrupt the flow of the golf course, but it's beautiful and challenging. It definitely feels like a well-finished modern Fazio-designed golf course (not a knock on it, just an observation that it doesn't have the charming feel of some of today's modern courses or the character of the early 20th century classic-type courses.

I hope Inglewood gets the "Full Macan" makeover one day soon. I thought that a few things were odd: the par of 73. The tightness of out of bounds around the green of #7. Housing on both sides of #9. The "cliche" design of the par 5 with the pond/stone wall at the green of the 18th (not sure how to restore the original character of that hole).

Otherwise I've enjoyed the golf course when I've played it. The 2nd through 6th are highlights and most of the back 9 is terrific. Has Jeff Mingay prepared a comprehensive Master Plan, or just approached his work a little at a time?

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:46 PM »

I hope Inglewood gets the "Full Macan" makeover one day soon. I thought that a few things were odd: the par of 73. The tightness of out of bounds around the green of #7. Housing on both sides of #9. The "cliche" design of the par 5 with the pond/stone wall at the green of the 18th (not sure how to restore the original character of that hole).

Otherwise I've enjoyed the golf course when I've played it. The 2nd through 6th are highlights and most of the back 9 is terrific. Has Jeff Mingay prepared a comprehensive Master Plan, or just approached his work a little at a time?

Jeff has done a comprehensive plan...the hold up is membership and money.  Club is financially very sound but getting Members to write a check is a different story.  Can't do anything about the houses...unfortunately.  The pond/rock wall on 18 is pretty offensive.  When some courses around the turn of the century were doing things to undo the damage done in the "dark ages", we were building a pond and rock wall (although the pond does serve a purpose for storing water).  If you could at least remove the rock wall, replace with grass rolling more naturally into the pond, and ditch the ridiculous fountain, you'd have something better.  The green isn't very good either. 

Time will tell....

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
Brad,

It's nice to get your perspective - you obviously care a lot about Inglewood, appreciate what it is, see it's potential, and recognize the value in it's history.

I'd love to see Jeff's overall thinking on a full restoration. If it were to be done I have no doubt Inglewood would launch into the very top tier of PNW clubs. Has Inglewood always been a Par-73? I can't recall in high-school when I played it many years ago - but a year and a half or so ago with the downhill slope I hit driver and short iron to 18 and thought it could be a fine par-4 length-wise. I hope at some point in time there is an appetite to replace the rock wall, adjust the pond, and make the green more representative of Macan's work.

Steve

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »
Brad,

It's nice to get your perspective - you obviously care a lot about Inglewood, appreciate what it is, see it's potential, and recognize the value in it's history.

I'd love to see Jeff's overall thinking on a full restoration. If it were to be done I have no doubt Inglewood would launch into the very top tier of PNW clubs. Has Inglewood always been a Par-73? I can't recall in high-school when I played it many years ago - but a year and a half or so ago with the downhill slope I hit driver and short iron to 18 and thought it could be a fine par-4 length-wise. I hope at some point in time there is an appetite to replace the rock wall, adjust the pond, and make the green more representative of Macan's work.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Probably care a little too much, but only because I know what is there could be special once again. 

Macan spoke in terms of one shot, two shot, and three shot holes.  The only one he felt was an actual three shot hole was 7.  He considered 1,2,15,18 all two shot holes (and I would suppose "half shot" holes either way).  He wrote in 1949 that his favorite hole on the property was 15, but spoke of it as being a two shotter, likely as a long four from the current white tees.  At some point both 2 and 15 were lengthened from long fours to short fives.  I personally don't get too wound up about being a Par 73 (which it has been for decades), however it would be a pretty interesting Par 71 with those shortended up and returned to fours.  Get 18 in the summer with a little wind behind and you can have a mid to short iron in for sure.  The average member enjoys being able to finish with a chance at a par or birdie, which I don't mind. 

Jeff and his plan could get it done.  Just got to keep at it. 

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »
Brad,

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Probably care a little too much, but only because I know what is there could be special once again. 

Macan spoke in terms of one shot, two shot, and three shot holes.  The only one he felt was an actual three shot hole was 7.  He considered 1,2,15,18 all two shot holes (and I would suppose "half shot" holes either way).  He wrote in 1949 that his favorite hole on the property was 15, but spoke of it as being a two shotter, likely as a long four from the current white tees.  At some point both 2 and 15 were lengthened from long fours to short fives.  I personally don't get too wound up about being a Par 73 (which it has been for decades), however it would be a pretty interesting Par 71 with those shortended up and returned to fours.  Get 18 in the summer with a little wind behind and you can have a mid to short iron in for sure.  The average member enjoys being able to finish with a chance at a par or birdie, which I don't mind. 

Jeff and his plan could get it done.  Just got to keep at it.

I hadn't thought of it, but as a Par 71 Inglewood would be SPECTACULAR! I agree with your opinion of 18 - it feels good to finish with a chance at birdie and your description of the hole is exactly how I found it summer before last. 15 would be a stout par 4, and 2 would as well - a great counterpoint to the 1st as a short par 5 and the 3rd as a dicey little par-4.

Your passion and persistence are well-directed in my opinion.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks Steve.  As many on this website know, that passion and persistence isn't always viewed that way by long time members that only know what they know and have never opened a book on the topic.  Many have made it very personal versus focusing on what the best thing for the course is. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back