News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Cowden

Re: Bandon Dunes to add Sheep Ranch for possible Hanse project
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »
The Sheep Ranch is dead.  Long live The Sheep Ranch.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."

Sam Kestin

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
Is it even possible that there will ever again be anything like it?

What business mind would take a piece of land like that, spend the money to build the "course" and then essentially commit to a business model that leaves probably 98% of the revenue potential on the table?

Is there a way to use the Sheep Ranch concept but do it in a more economically viable way?

The HORSE course at the Prairie Club is kind of like it--but that's par three golf which removes from the equation the hard part--dealing with criss crossing fairways.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Sam,

SR is very similar to the 'Golf Court' concept that was about in the 90's. Great idea but limited by the number of players that can use it at one time.

Jon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
I've never been to Bandon or SR, but if I had a suitable piece of land in my backyard and the £$€ to build and maintain my own course then based on what I've read and heard SR is the kind of course I'd be looking to have.

Playing the same regular style course all the time no matter how wonderful it may be does get boring after a while. But somewhere with the infinite variety of SR, well, wow!

Atb

Wolf Point

???
Dai has certainly played courses better than Wolf Point, which he feels playing anyone of them all the time would get boring after a while.
So what's your point?
Other than Wolf?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
Wolf Point has many cross country options and is privately owned in someone's backyard, who unfortunately recently passed away
It's all about the golf!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »
Joel:

Seeing as the article linked to in the first post has a picture of the land in question, I don't think there's any confusion as to the location of this project.

Sven

You're correct.  I happened to speak with someone today who is close to this deal.   

The current Sheep Ranch is on about 110 acres.  The land that Mike and Phil own 50/50 is 400 acres but they've never been able to walk it because of the deep gorse.   

My contact said this announcement from Matt Ginela is very premature and construction may take several years.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
@Joel--Do you know which direction the land extends to make up the remaining acreage?

I know to the south is the road (and then Old Mac)--and to the north I believe there's a few private homes that I've seen up for sale. Obviously, to the west, there's the Pacific.

I can only assume that the extra 290 acres is up the hill to the east?

Chris Sorenson

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »
I for one hope that it doesn't happen!  It truly is one of the most enjoyable days I have ever spent playing the game. Three people on that day and a lifetime of memories and joy that will last until my final day. 
Only other place was a private ranch south of Midlothian Texas that came close to the Sheep Ranch.  Only three greens with a tree lined draw going through the middle of the course and 18 tee boxes to make it play from every direction.  6900 yards from the tips and two carts on property.  What a great time, only different from Sheep Ranch was the hot weather you had to put up with in the summer.
Keep the Sheep Ranch!!!!!!!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
@Joel--Do you know which direction the land extends to make up the remaining acreage?

It was a long rectangular parcel running from west to east when we worked on it; the land just to the east had been clear-cut a couple of years before we built the present course, and part of the reason we didn't look hard at golf over there was that it would take a lot of remedial work on the non-golf areas.  There's a small hill on the north part, but also a deep ravine that runs through it, eventually dumping out to the ocean where the road does.  So there is the potential for some drama there, but it would be quite different than the rest of the property.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
I wonder if they could get permission to have holes go over the road. Sure it would be dramatic and great to have some holes near no. 16 at Old Mac, but I wonder if this course will happen.

Which of the following is most likely:
1. Hanse designs and builds a course at Bandon
2. Doak builds another par 3 course at Bandon
3. Hanse designs and builds a public course south of the town of Bandon
4. Someone buys Bandon from Keiser and hires Fazio to build a cart course.
5. Other

Matthew Prince

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
#4: prepare yourself for Trump Bandon Dunes.  I've always thought that PD #13 could use a massive waterfall coming off the dune right of the green. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:23:25 PM by Matthew Prince »

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
#4: prepare yourself for Trump Bandon Dunes.  I always thought that PD #13 could use a massive waterfall coming off the dune right of the green.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while!!  Thank you for making my day!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
I wish I could photoshop....but i suck at those things.  That's be a fantastic visual at PD...so wrong, it would be right!!

George Pazin

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »

I've said this before and I've been to Bandon and have zero interest in seeing the Sheep Ranch.  I am delighted to hear that it has become an overpriced tourist trap and take comfort that I will never go...The thought of playing a routing off the top of the head of some amateur architect pukens me . . .

I never tire of John hitting the nail on the head.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Doesn't happen to be mine.

I'd rather play Sheep Ranch than any of the Bandon courses. People on here constantly, incessantly, beg for something new and original. And when it actually exists, it's ignored, downplayed, etc.
And lest anyone misunderstand, I don't think for a second that any amateur can produce a similar experience to a Kidd/Doak/C&C course. But at least it's something unique, in all of golf. Or at least was.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:03:11 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael George

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
Anyone know the status of this project on the Sheep Ranch?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Joe Zucker

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
Anyone know the status of this project on the Sheep Ranch?

I don't know for sure, but I believe it will be open for awhile longer.  I have a reservation there at the end of April 2018 and when I made the booking, I asked how long it would be open.  They said there were no plans to close it as of now, but I would imagine it will happen sooner or later.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
I talked to a caddie at the resort who said he heard rumblings that the project would not start for a few more years.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

PCCraig

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
Perhaps Mr. Keiser is waiting until he finds a new management company before he starts construction on a new course?:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/sexual-harassment-suit-filed-against-bandon-dunes-employees-kemper-sports-management-settled-and-dismissed
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back