News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Baseball Playoffs and Great Golf Combo Platter. Semi-OT
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
My personal favorite combo was Olympic Club and two World Series games in SF, but watching the rather electric opener in Cleveland has me thinking Canterbury, The Country Club and a couple others. I'm pulling for Indians vs Cubs. Bring your rain gear, dear!

Conjure up some other great combo platter matchups based on who's made the playoffs this year.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:19:20 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

Re: Baseball Playoffs and Great Golf Combo Platter. Semi-OT
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
Terry - yours will be hard to beat: I've always wanted to visit San Francisco, and when you add Olympic and a couple of World Series games you've got a very special swings and dings weekend.

But since my hometown Jays are in, and looking very good, we just might be heading for a Giants-Jays world series. You can go back to Olympic for the games there, and when you head up to Toronto you can play, all within about a half hour's drive (give or take traffic) from the Roger's Centre:

a Colt - Toronto Golf Club
a Park - Weston (site of Arnold Palmer's first professional win)
a Thompson - St George (a perennial top 5 in the country) and
a Tillinghast - Scarboro

I can see it already.
Come on up and it will be my pleasure to meet you for dinner and a few drinks!   

Matthew Sander

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »
Your Honor,

Given your fondness for the LA golf scene I'm sure you could make do with a Dodgers/Red Sox series, eh? LACC, Riviera, Wilshire out in the sun...maybe you'd even slum it at Rustic Canyon. Head east for the autumnal arboreal fireworks while strolling around The Country Club, Boston GC, Myopia, and Old Sandwich. You could do far worse...

Go Cubs!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
My two favorite teams are both in -- Sox and Nats. Matthew already covered Boston (though I would probably add Salem and Essex). Unfortunately my current home town, DC, doesn't stack up to others.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »
Toronto, LA, Boston, SF, Cleveland. Oh boy. I've seen baseball in all and played golf in all but Toronto. Dallas and DC suffer slightly in comparison but Texas just might have the best team and I love me some Colonial and Shady Oaks.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
Don't forget Baltimore is a short drive from D.C. and has a few very good options for golf, although that may be cheating since the Orioles lost the Wild Card game.

Chicago is obviously golf rich, but, being a Reds fan I very much dislike the Cubs (just a little less than the Cards), so I cannot in good conscience root for them, even if it will be another three years until the Reds make the playoffs!  :o

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
Don't forget Baltimore is a short drive from D.C. and has a few very good options for golf, although that may be cheating since the Orioles lost the Wild Card game.

Other than Five Farms, are there any courses that are clearly better than the best in DC?  I have a buddy who thinks that, as a result of recent work, Caves is the best course in the extended Baltimore-DC area, but that's not a widely held view.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
I would put Boston with Worcester, Whitinsville and Winchester.

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »
Hate the Red Sox, but I would play golf in Boston.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »
Hate the Red Sox, but I would play golf in Boston.

Not a Sox fan either. Mass has a lot of good golf that is spread out in all corners of the state.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 04:43:40 AM »
For me, despite my Tigers failing to make the grade, I would like to see a playoff game in Toronto.  Toronto & St Georges would be lovely icing, but the cake would definitely be the Hockey Hall of Fame. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 11:55:16 PM »
A helmet is a requirement for a game at Toronto. They throw more stuff at the field than I have ever seen.And in last years Rangers series half of it landed in the lower deck. They almost nailed the Baltimore left fielder the other night.

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:24 AM »
Cleveland, Kirtland and down to Canton Brookside, 2 of ohios top tier.

Chicago, Ravisloe and Briarwood

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
good choice Terry, its Bill Murray vs Charlie Sheen tonite

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 09:46:32 AM »
After last night, there is no other choice but Waveland! (Officially Sydney J. Marovitz GC, but good like finding a Chicagoan who calls it that!)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
Does anyone know if Mike Keiser is a Cubs fan?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
I'm not a Cubs fan but I knew the curse was over when my Cubs-hating Dad yelled out, "Go Cubs" at the nursing home last week. His Cubs hatred must've been one of the last memories lost to Alzheimer's. Bittersweet to be sure, but these two Sox fans are happy today.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »
I'm not a Cubs fan but I knew the curse was over when my Cubs-hating Dad yelled out, "Go Cubs" at the nursing home last week. His Cubs hatred must've been one of the last memories lost to Alzheimer's. Bittersweet to be sure, but these two Sox fans are happy today.

So many "feels".  Been emotional all night and day and it truly had to happen in spectacular fashion.  Feel for Cleveland fans as I know the pain (and they seem like a team of great guys).  Hoping the parade is tomorrow as easier for me to get the kids out and make the trip up.

Keeping with the thread, I was able to add my first trip to LA North in conjunction with game 5 of the NLCS, so all in all a pretty good couple weeks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:47:58 PM by Andrew Buck »

John Foley

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
Is there a better / closer combo than Fenway & Brookline @ 4M?

ATT - Olympic is 10+M

Dodger Stadium - LACC is 11+miles

Integrity in the moment of choice

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
It's been a pretty surreal morning for this lifelong Cub fan (proud to say my 8th grade yearbook in 1998 read "biggest Cubs fan").

I grew up in the north suburbs of Chicago where Sox fans were few and far between. We were lucky enough to have season tickets growing up. I used to go to countless games when the team was terrible and no customer's wanted my parents tickets. As crazy as it would seem to people today, I used to get dropped off at the Linden purple line stop in Wilmette with a buddy by one of our parents. We would then take the El down alone, watch the game (which almost all started in the afternoon), and take the El back up north in time to call my mother from the pay phone and be home by supper. No matter how many times I visit the stadium, I still get goosebumps when I walk up from the tunnel and see Wrigley in all of it's glory.

It's funny, for as happy as I was last night watching the final out, it was pretty bittersweet. Mostly because I thought about all of the people that aren't with us anymore that missed it. We used to go to Opening Day every single year, no matter how cold or nasty that April afternoon was. I always remember sitting there and talking about the upcoming season and our hopes for the team. "We signed Henry Rodriguez...I'm thinking he'll get us to at least 10 games over .500"  ;D  We had a close family friend who shared in the tickets and was at opening day with us every year. He passed away 4 or 5 years ago. He was the biggest Cub fan I have ever known and I am sure he is raising a beer and smiling down on us.

It's a bit of a bummer not living in Chicago anymore and being away from "the action" a bit. But I can't help smile from ear to ear while watching the intersection of Clark and Addison last night, jam packed with people, erupt when the red sign read "CUBS WIN."

Pretty awesome! 
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

It's funny, for as happy as I was last night watching the final out, it was pretty bittersweet. Mostly because I thought about all of the people that aren't with us anymore that missed it.
My father grew up on the South Side -- not quite Blue Island, but Morgan Park (and a proud graduate of Morgan Park HS, where he quarterbacked the football team), and somehow became a Cubs fan. He and his brother lived a pretty classic middle-class existence, growing up in a two-story house on a shady street, where Mom ran a small accounting office in a back den, often used by the first-generation immigrant grocers, tailors, and small goods shop owners in the neighborhood. His Dad was an ice cream distributor, going to grocery stores, soda fountains, and 5 & Dimes for his accounts. They weren't poor, but they weren't wealthy by any means, either.

Still, they somehow found enough money to indulge my Dad in his one true passion growing up -- the Cubs. In those days (the 1940s), you could get a round-trip on the L to Wrigley and back, and a seat in the bleachers, for less than a dollar. And every other weekend, on either Saturday or Sunday, Wrigley would host a double-header. So my grandmother would pack up a sack lunch for my dad (not yet in his teens), give him enough change to get on the L, and a seat at Wrigley, and off he'd go to watch his beloved Cubs. He'd be gone all day, but would come back, clutching his scorecard, with story after story about his Cubbies.

In 1945, a business owner who knew of my dad's love of the Cubs gave my grandfather two tickets to the 7th game of the World Series, so that he could go to the game. He and my grandfather were in the park the minute the gates opened, taking in batting practice. By some great fortune, a ball hit during BP landed right near him, and he scrambled over some seats to grab it. The ball, a cherished object in our family, sits in a box at my oldest brother's home.

Of course, he went off to college, married, served his country, had four kids, and moved around a bit before settling in suburban Cleveland, where I grew up. Still a baseball fan, my Dad would take us boys to Cleveland Indians games -- always bat day in the spring, usually the big weekend series against the Yankees, and sometimes just a regular weekday game during the summer. Once he scored box seats right on the third base line, so close to Buddy Bell you thought you could reach out and grab his cap. George Hendrick bounced a foul ball grounder right to me, and -- of course with my glove in hand -- I scooped it right up. It, too, sits in my basement, a proud reminder of those days spent rooting for a team that -- like my dad's Cubs -- never could quite turn the corner and become a winner.

So last night was a little surreal for me as well -- rooting for my beloved Tribe, and knowing my Dad, now having passed away several years ago, would have found unbridled joy in watching his boyhood team accomplish something that he saw them, in person, last try to do --win a 7th game in the World Series.

No team in professional sports can break your heart quite like the Indians. But there is solace knowing Dad is smiling somewhere, perhaps alongside his favorite player growing up -- the great Andy Pafko -- knowing that next year finally arrived.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:46:11 PM by Phil McDade »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »

It's funny, for as happy as I was last night watching the final out, it was pretty bittersweet. Mostly because I thought about all of the people that aren't with us anymore that missed it.
My father grew up on the South Side -- not quite Blue Island, but Morgan Park (and a proud graduate of Morgan Park HS, where he quarterbacked the football team), and somehow became a Cubs fan. He and his brother lived a pretty classic middle-class existence, growing up in a two-story house on a shady street, where Mom ran a small accounting office in a back den, often used by the first-generation immigrant grocers, tailors, and small goods shop owners in the neighborhood. His Dad was an ice cream distributor, going to grocery stores, soda fountains, and 5 & Dimes for his accounts. They weren't poor, but they weren't wealthy by any means, either.

Still, they somehow found enough money to indulge my Dad in his one true passion growing up -- the Cubs. In those days (the 1940s), you could get a round-trip on the L to Wrigley and back, and a seat in the bleachers, for less than a dollar. And every other weekend, on either Saturday or Sunday, Wrigley would host a double-header. So my grandmother would pack up a sack lunch for my dad (not yet in his teens), give him enough change to get on the L, and a seat at Wrigley, and off he'd go to watch his beloved Cubs. He'd be gone all day, but would come back, clutching his scorecard, with story after story about his Cubbies.

In 1945, a business owner who knew of my dad's love of the Cubs gave my grandfather two tickets to the 7th game of the World Series, so that he could go to the game. He and my grandfather were in the park the minute the gates opened, taking in batting practice. By some great fortune, a ball hit during BP landed right near him, and he scrambled over some seats to grab it. The ball, a cherished object in our family, sits in a box at my oldest brother's home.

Of course, he went off to college, married, served his country, had four kids, and moved around a bit before settling in suburban Cleveland, where I grew up. Still a baseball fan, my Dad would take us boys to Cleveland Indians games -- always bat day in the spring, usually the big weekend series against the Yankees, and sometimes just a regular weekday game during the summer. Once he scored box seats right on the third base line, so close to Buddy Bell you thought you could reach out and grab his cap. George Hendrick bounced a foul ball grounder right to me, and -- of course with my glove in hand -- I scooped it right up. It, too, sits in my basement, a proud reminder of those days spent rooting for a team that -- like my dad's Cubs -- never could quite turn the corner and become a winner.

So last night was a little surreal for me as well -- rooting for my beloved Tribe, and knowing my Dad, now having passed away several years ago, would have found unbridled joy in watching his boyhood team accomplish something that he saw them, in person, last try to do --win a 7th game in the World Series.

No team in professional sports can break your heart quite like the Indians. But there is solace knowing Dad is smiling somewhere, perhaps alongside his favorite player growing up -- the great Andy Pafko -- knowing that next year finally arrived.

+1
Are there two things better than baseball and golf to bond a father and son? I dropped the mitt for a lacrosse stick when I was 11, but always enjoyed those long, summer days and nights talking about and watching the Phillies with my father. Coupled with late afternoon rounds of golf where we were just as happy to get in 14 holes while sharing one bag of clubs. Nothing was finer. Miss those days...

Well done Cubs.

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
Great story, Phil. I'm a diehard Cleveland Indians fan too. My grandfather and dad introduced me to baseball. My mom is a huge Indians fan; she watches every game. I have been calling home each night during the playoffs to talk about the previous night's game.

One thing I look forward to is taking my two boys to baseball games when they get a bit older. They'd rather watch Curious George right now.

Last night was a real punch in the gut for me. But someday we will see a World Series victory (I hope). It was a fun season, but it would have been a hell of a lot more fun had they won last night. 

Spring training can't get here soon enough.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:30:25 PM by Brian Hoover »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
Reading these stories, and hearing others like them are why I've joined Anthony Rizzo in a glass case of emotion which has lasted weeks, but peaked the last 24 hours.  I, like many, have memories racing home from school to catch the end of games on WGN with my mom.  She'd then play wiffle ball with me as I pretended to be Dave Kingman or Bill Buckner winning the game for the Cubs.  Several times a year she would scrape up the money necessary to load up the aging Datsun and drive 80 miles Northeast to Wrigley Field.  I have vivid memories of my mom and her sister getting Bobby Dernier to stop and sign autographs and talking her way onto the Reds bus to get Eric Davis's autograph for "her boy".

My mom, like both my Grandfathers loved the Cubs!  Unfortunately they are not around to share this memory.  Mom only got 46 years, while each grandfather had 82, but not a championship among them.  When I childishly locked myself in the bathroom crying in '84, they had been there before, but hurt in their own ways.  The 2003 emotions were more mature, but no more controlled as this franchise had been intrinsically tied to my Mom, who had recently passed at that time, in addition to my dad and grandfathers (one of whom had also passed). 

Game 6 of the NLCS was amazing.  During one moment that my nerves were about to give in, I looked at the clock to see 9:11, my moms birthday (a time my wife, who never met my mom, notices all the time) and I calmed down.  Not much later the Cubs got the double play to get out of the eighth and fate crystallized.  The joyous texting thread with friends was legendary.   The Cubs were going to the World Series and so-called "curses" were dead to me and many as we remembered those who hadn't seen a World Series.  It may be an indictment that my eldest son commented that was as happy as he had ever seen me, and it was pure joy.

The World Series was like nothing I could prepare for, and completely different than playoff pasts, it brought out different emotions.  Emotions of a new adventure and journey, but one without as much fear of elimination.  The Cubs fell down 3 games to 1, and my first instinct was doubt.  I immediately overcame it with two thoughts that showed up in my tweets and texts during game 4, and for the remainder of the series, "Lester, Jake, Kyle" and "It's not supposed to be easy".  Sure, I knew they could lose and I understood it was likely they would lose, but I was strangely confident in this team, and believed the  could still win.  Lester, Jake, Kyle.  Game 5 came and the Cubs fell behind as Smoltz warned the nation "The Cubs need to score now" and Bryant hits a home run.  The emotional roller-coaster of an eight out one run Chapman save passed and they lived to see Cleveland.  Lester, Jake, Kyle.   Game 6 came and the Cubs pounced, a game seven was destiny, even if Joe may have used Chapman too much.  It's not supposed to be easy.  Lester, Jake, Kyle.

I was a mess most of the day yesterday, but late afternoon I became calm, not because I knew the Cubs would win, but because it was a reality the Cubs were in game 7 of the World Series.  I was going to live an amazing experience with my wife and kids, texting my dad and friends.  The Cubs weren't in game 7 by smoke and mirrors or baseball magic, but because they built an organization that deserved to be there.  Fowler homers and I fight back my first thought "Devon Hester returned the opening kick off of the SuperBowl and the Bears lost".  The Cubs expand their lead then Maddon starts making decisions that are easy to second guess so it's cut to 2.  Ross immediately redeems himself and it looks like this is going to happen.  Emotions are high and thoughts of family are vivid while it appears it's just going to happen.  Then the eight inning comes, the Indians tie it and it no longer feels different, but all too familiar.  My wife is uncharacteristically yelling at Joe Maddon on the TV and my sons aren't quite sure why.  Each text I receive is becoming more unhinged and I have to fight of the instinct to go to a dark place and curl up to prepare for the pain, but I don't give in.  "This isn't supposed to be easy" I continue to say and text!

The rain delay comes and I take the puppy out for a quick walk.  THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE EASY and the heart of the line-up is due up.  It happens, and I just don't know what to feel.  It's a different joy than making the World Series was, but make no mistake it's joyful.  I've smiled, I've cried, and I've just reflected how different baseball will be for all us Cubs fans now.  The Cubs won't be less special and the connections are still real, they're just different.  I can't wait to take the kids to the parade tomorrow, and I'm going to continue to soak it in this week.  Even if we're fortunate enough to experience more World Series, THIS can only be felt and experienced once.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:28:04 PM by Andrew Buck »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back