News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Tang

Re: The 10 Scottish Courses You Want To Play
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
Would love to revisit...

Dornoch
TOC
Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen

Would love to see...

Brora
North Berwick
Castle Stuart
Turnberry
Renaissance Club
Prestwick

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
I would go the road less traversed, and play courses not on the rota, not on the tour guide sojourns. I've played Old and New at St. Andy's, and enjoyed both. It was in 1992, so a quarter century has turned memories into adipose. I think that "least likely but most recalled" would be my guiding motto.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Fisher

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 03:49:32 AM »
Would love to revisit

Prestwick (perhaps most of all)
Luffness (maybe running second)
Macrihanish (ditto)
TOC
Muirfield
North Berwick West Links
Carnoustie Champ and Burnside
Edzell
Gullane 3

Would love to visit
Castle Stuart
Kingsbarns
Elie
Machrie
Cruden Bay
Western Gailes
Brora
Macrihanish Links

Michael Graham

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 03:52:07 AM »
Man I wanna play any and all those mentioned. But before I compile a list I should warn that one will be a course called Burnt Island.

I have mentioned this way cool Willie Park track before and just can't get any traction. Has anyone played and if so what am I getting wrong about to be so uniformly ignored

Ward,

That's definitely the first mention of Burntisland I've seen on GCA before. My dad took my brother and I there when we were first getting into golf. It must be close to twenty years since I've played the course but I remember it being a fun little layout over cool terrain. The course also benefits from the spectacular views back towards Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth. Without damming it with faint praise it's great 'holiday golf.' I wonder how Rich Goodale would compare Burntisland to Aberdour.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 04:16:56 AM »
Mark P

I guess you will just have to trust that I have reasons for wanting to see which courses interest people. And...this fellow responded in the thread. Feel free to contact all of the above folks. 

I'll go with Ten I haven't seen, or seen and want to go back and play:

Askernish
Portmahomack
Wick
Glencruitten
Spey Bay
Prestwick St Nicholas
Tobermory
Gairloch
West Kilbride
Shetland

Clyde

Have you (or anyone else) played St Nich or Portmahomack?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Is Ardfin a course yet?

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:22:04 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 04:20:16 AM »

Mark P

I guess you will just have to trust that I have reasons for wanting to see which courses interest people. And...this fellow responded in the thread. Feel free to contact all of the above folks. 

Askernish
Portmahomack
Wick
Glencruitten
Spey Bay
Prestwick St Nicholas
Tobermory
Gairloch
West Kilbride
Shetland

Clyde

Have you (or anyone else) played St Nich or Portmahomack?  If so, wha are your thoughts?

Is Ardfin a course yet?

Ciao

At a guess it'll be playable next year. If you can get on.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 04:36:43 AM »
Sean A,

I assume the above response was aimed at the other Mark P on this thread?  I played Prestwick St Nicholas years ago and remember enjoying it a lot.  However, at the time I had only been playing golf a couple of years and I knew far less what I was looking at.  In fact, the joys of links golf were very new to me then.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 05:34:12 AM »
Sean,

as Mark says St. Nick's is very enjoyable and worth a play if in the area. Portmahomack is a good 9 hole links style course with a couple of standout holes (6 & 7) plus several other good holes and no real weak ones. It is short but heaps of fun and takes about 1 hour for 9 holes.

Jon

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 05:59:39 AM »
Sean,

I guess others have answered, but...

St Nich's - only a drive-by: there looks to be a cool stretch of holes through a narrow, undualting stretch of ground in the start/middle of the property.

Portmahomack - a speedy run/walk around at dusk: a few cool looking green complexes, and typically quiet terrain punctuated by some (small scale) wild moments.

Ardfin - Not in my ten, but I did take a tour around there this time last year (on my way to see The Machrie before it was no longer). An undoubtedly beautiful place, but the routing felt pretty severe through the steep, middle section of the property (around the estate house). I would have preferred to see a quieter, old-school style-shaping in-keeping with its isolated, Scottish location.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:09:44 AM by Clyde Johnson »

Niall C

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 06:03:07 AM »
Sean

Both courses are a throw back in time in different ways. Prestwick St Nich's (how did I manage to miss it off my list along with Machrihanish, Mach Dunes, Renaissance.....) is great fun with some great golf and some fairly good golf. It has easily the most dangerous hole I've ever played with a crossing slap bang in a blind landing area. But don't let that put you off.

I've only walked Portmohamack but some really cool stuff in a rustic kind of way. Some wild contours on one fairway and an old quarry on another that will remind you of Cleeve Cloud and Minch Old. Just a charming little course.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 07:57:43 AM »
Prestwick St. Nicholas was much better than I expected with 6 excellent holes, 6 really good and varied ones and 6 bland but perfectly acceptable holes. Quite a lot of stuff going on. Some unique stuff definitely.

Jason Topp

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
My  list consists of courses I have not played:

1. Royal Aberdeen - is the favorite of a good friend who makes the trip yearly
2. Askernish - pure golf at the end of the world
3.  Macharanish - I know I did not spell it correctly
4.  Muirfield - the one current Scottish Rota course I have not visited
5.  Levin Links - I loved Lundin and would want to visit FBD's course.
6.  Kingsbarns - I skipped my round there because we got on the old course
7.  Panmure - I think that is the course where Hogan practiced
8.  Cruden Bay - I wish I would have seen it before the recent changes but sounds like a magical spot
9.  Musselburgh - I stayed in this town for a week but never played the course
10.  Castle Course - I want to see if it is as bad as the reviews seem to indicate

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »
Never stepped foot on Scottish soil but here is my list.

1. TOC
2. North Berwick
3. Askernish
4. Machrihanish
5. Cruden Bay
6. Royal Dornach
7. Turnberry
8. Prestwick
9. Castle Stuart

10. Someone pick a 10th for me...can't narrow it down.

Colin Shellard

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
Being a current resident of Aberdeen, I'm lucky enough to have played quite a few of Scotland's wonderful (and some not so wonderful) courses, and I'm always intrigued when threads like this come up on GCA.

Some great lists so far - interesting to see how many times Ellie comes up - I  must get down there next year.
Also slightly surprised to see that no one has nominated Trump International Golf Links, Scotland (ie Hawtree's design at Balmedie) - whilst I realise is it a new course, and not in keeping with some of the ideals that we hold dear on GCA, it is definately worth playing (especially if we are forgetting the cost).

So my List of courses I haven't yet played:
  • Loch Lomond
  • Machrihanich
  • Machrihanish Dunes
  • Renaissance
  • Ellie
  • Askenish
  • Western Gailes
  • Turnberry (played it before the changes)
  • Luffness New
  • Crail

And those I would love to play again:
  • Gleneagles Kings
  • Gleneagles Queens
  • Blairgowrie Rosemount
  • Nairn
  • North Berwick
  • Prestwick
  • Muirfield
  • Castle Stuart
  • Brora
  • Royal Aberdeen - well it is my home course...

David_Tepper

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:31 AM »
Sean A. -

Re: Ardfin, have you seen this recent thread?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63631.0.html

DT

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Replays:

Prestwick
TOC

Newbies:

North Berwick
Askernish
Cruden Bay
Castle Stuart
Brora
Machrihanish
Carnoustie Burnside
Moray (Old)

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

James Boon

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

Askernish
Portmahomack
Wick
Glencruitten
Spey Bay
Prestwick St Nicholas
Tobermory
Gairloch
West Kilbride
Shetland

Clyde, a couple on there I had originally like Tobermory and Glencruitten (I also had Isle of Harris, Dunaverty and Carradale) but then I was working my way mentally clockwise and remembered the east coast... Has anyone played Tobermory as I'll probably be on Mull next September?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
James:

For what it's worth, I really liked Dunaverty - the green complexes aren't up to much, but the routing is pretty compelling (and picturesque), with a fair few half-par holes, cross-overs, and up and overs for the adventurous sort. (Tom D gave it a 3 - from 1983 - but I'd feel comfortable going with a 5, I think.)

Never bothered playing Carradale, but not too bad of a stop-off if driving up the east of The Kintyre to catch the ferry to Arran. A pretty fun loop that actually: Machrahanish, Dunaverty, Carradale, Shiskine...Ayrshire.

As for Tobermory, a couple of tiny pictures on their website seem appealing enough to give it a try.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
I played Tobermory twice during a stay there 2 years ago. The location is spectacular, high above the town and almost worth the trip for that alone. The course itself is a modest 9 holer with a fair few blind shots. From memory there are 2 nice par threes and a testing  par four that has a hard to hit (for me) small  and angled green. If I was in Mull I'd happily play there again, especially if I the weather was fine, but I wouldn't travel to Mull just to play it. I'd rate it alongside Gairloch but with even better views.

Enjoy Cafe Fish if you make it to Tobermory.

ian 

ward peyronnin

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
Michael

I believe there is a bit of friendly rivalry between Aberdour and Burnt Island
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tim Gallant

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 03:24:45 AM »
Courses I would love to see in Scotland that I have yet to visit:

Fraserburgh
Askernish
Machrie
Brora
Tain
Crail (Old)
Leven
Isle of Harris GC
Shiskine
Boat of Garten

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 03:49:17 AM »
James:

For what it's worth, I really liked Dunaverty - the green complexes aren't up to much, but the routing is pretty compelling (and picturesque), with a fair few half-par holes, cross-overs, and up and overs for the adventurous sort. (Tom D gave it a 3 - from 1983 - but I'd feel comfortable going with a 5, I think.)

Never bothered playing Carradale, but not too bad of a stop-off if driving up the east of The Kintyre to catch the ferry to Arran. A pretty fun loop that actually: Machrahanish, Dunaverty, Carradale, Shiskine...Ayrshire.

As for Tobermory, a couple of tiny pictures on their website seem appealing enough to give it a try.

I have heard very good things about Carradale. Tony Pioppi spent a summer working at Machrihanish Dunes a few years ago and told me that Carradale had several truly brilliant holes.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 05:49:05 AM »
Michael

Sard

Vis a vs. rivalry, it was always very low key and friendly but it doesn't really happen any more.  And I'm surprised that you forgot that I guided you to Burntisland when you visited me in Aberdour. :o

Michael

I was a member for a couple of years at Burntisland and have played it many times, mostly in competitions.  It is a far better golf course than Aberdour, from a strictly GCA point of view, but the views are world class at Aberdour and just OK and infrequent at Burntisland.  Both are very enjoyable places to play and worth playing, unless you are a notcher.  Burntisland has some really cool Willie Park greens and some really goofy holes.  It was even goofier before changes were made by Braid and others.  Aberdour will be loved by short game connoisseurs, particularly when the greens are hard and fast.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Michael Graham

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 06:14:05 AM »
Michael

Sard

Vis a vs. rivalry, it was always very low key and friendly but it doesn't really happen any more.  And I'm surprised that you forgot that I guided you to Burntisland when you visited me in Aberdour. :o

Michael

I was a member for a couple of years at Burntisland and have played it many times, mostly in competitions.  It is a far better golf course than Aberdour, from a strictly GCA point of view, but the views are world class at Aberdour and just OK and infrequent at Burntisland.  Both are very enjoyable places to play and worth playing, unless you are a notcher.  Burntisland has some really cool Willie Park greens and some really goofy holes.  It was even goofier before changes were made by Braid and others.  Aberdour will be loved by short game connoisseurs, particularly when the greens are hard and fast.

Rich

Rich,

I need to get back to see Burntisland as an adult. As I said, it must be close to twenty years since I last played it. Am I right in remembering some of the holes wind their way round old quarries? It's a shame that most visitors to the Kingdom drive straight past places like Burntisland and Aberdour on their way to the East Neuk and St Andrews.

James Boon

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
Thanks Clyde and Ian,

I'm staying just down the coast from Carradale next April for a friends 60th. As I've 4 courses on my hit liast in that area (Carradale Mach., Mach Dunes and Dunaverty) I suspect I'm going to need to head back another time, but will certainly play at least Carradale (reporting back accordingly) and think Dunaverty would be the other leaving the Mach pairing for another time.

As for Tobermory (and Glencruitten perhaps) I'm there next Sept, 10 years on from our honeymoon which we spent on Mull. My honeymoon was the only time I ever remember going to Scotland without my clubs, but I will certainly have them this time.

Damn it I've just remembered Iona has a course and now I want to see that one as well!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back