News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

The 10 Scottish Courses You Want To Play
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:57 AM »
Had a conversation yesterday about various things and the topic of modern Scottish courses came up.  During the conversation I was a bit surprised that the fellow said while Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart are remarkable achievements, especially Kingsbarns, they would not be on a list of 10 courses he would play in Scotland even if THE COURSES WERE FREE TO PLAY. Having given this some thought I have to agree even though I think Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns are comfortably top 10 courses in Scotland. 

So, what are the 10 courses you would play if you had a rich mate willing to foot the bill?

For me, six are quite easy to choose, seen em' before, would like to see em' again.

North Berwick
Elie
Cruden Bay
Dornoch
TOC
Prestwick

I have four others I haven't seen rounding out the 10.

Askernish
Fraserburgh
Gleneagles Queens
Machrie

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:42:14 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

Re: The 10 Scottish Courses You Want To Play
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:36:10 AM »
Sean:

This is an easier conversation for me because I usually don't have to pay for golf, so I don't have to muddy my thinking with "relative value" except when I want to recommend value to others.

I had not thought about the ten Scottish courses I'd most want to play, but here goes:

Prestwick
Turnberry [to see the changes]
Muirfield
North Berwick
The Old Course
Elie
Cruden Bay
Dornoch
Fraserburgh [because I didn't play when I was there -- too cold!]
Askernish or Renaissance Club [personal bias]

Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns are very nearly on this list, but just behind those listed above.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:50:14 AM »
And Brora (oops).  Don't know how I left it out.  Probably too busy cleaning my shoes from yesterday!

Michael Graham

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:14:51 AM »
To any of you with deep pockets out there...

Seen and would like to re-visit:

TOC
Prestwick
Muirfield
Skibo Castle
Royal Dornoch

Yet to see:

Renaissance
Shiskine
Cruden Bay
Turnberry (yet to see since changes)
Royal Aberdeen

Less about cost and more due to access: Loch Lomond.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
Not played Kingsbarns, but having enjoyed Castle Stuart it doesn't get on my list of 10 either*.

In no particular order,

Return visits:

Carnoustie
Dornoch
TOC

Not yet seen:

Skibo
Prestwick
Turnberry
Machrie ( loved the old layout but like see the new)
Muirfield
Loch Lomond
Askernish

*I've excluded North Berwick from this list since I'm lucky enough to be a member, and no, playing there > 50 times a year doesn't get stale  :)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 07:11:48 AM »
Muirfield (never played)
Turnberry (never played)
Troon (never played)
Gleneagles (never played)
Machrie (never played)
North Berwick
Dornoch
Castle Stuart
Cruden Bay
Prestwick
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

BCowan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »

So, what are the 10 courses you would play if you had a rich mate willing to foot the bill?

Wow that is rather tacky if u ask me.  It's always best to pay ones way in life.  Gca has really gone down the toilet....

ChipRoyce

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »
My list are courses I haven't yet seen:

1. Old Course (went on trip back in 2001, but didn't fit itinerary. Played it so many times on computer, watched tourneys, interested to see how I'd score)
2. Castle Stuart
3. Kingsbarns
4. Rennaisance Club (interested to see how Doak's work contrasts with the other courses nearby)
5. Muirfield (told that poorly struck balls actually feed into the bunkers there; think that more US courses should connect the bunker directly to fairways)
6. Golspie (couldn't fit it in when visiting Dornoch, Brora)
7  Machrihanish (these last 4, I'm interested older, funky, smell the dust classic old tracks with character)
8. Western Gailes
9. Prestwick
10. Machrie

Note: Already notched Tain, Brora, Dornoch, Nairn. Cruden Bay, Gullane 1, North Berwick, Dunbar
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:51:03 AM by ChipRoyce »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »

Less than 10, some more than others and in no particular order -

Askernish

Prestwick
North Berwick
Skibo
Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Moray/Lossiemouth

Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
Gee..why do I like Gullane so much?  It's not in anyone's top 10...I like it more than I do it's neighbor.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
Gee..why do I like Gullane so much?  It's not in anyone's top 10...I like it more than I do it's neighbor.

Personally I agree with you. Had two great, fun and tough rounds there. I think I saw when they are adding 50 yards to the first hole. Other than that I loved it.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
Go on then...I'm not sure I can totally divorce the cost element from choice, but here are my 10 faves in theoretical preference order (for balance I list 5 that I have seen before, 5 I have not)

1. HCEG                         Played - simply majestic. Vies with RCD for my favourite GB&I course
2. Royal Dornoch         Not played - a severe oversight that I hope to correct one day
3. TOC                         Played - never played well, but huge fun & thought provoking nonetheless
4. Kingsbarns         Not played - and unlikely to, given green fee above my personal threshold
5. Carnoustie                 Played - and really enjoyed it. Not much love on GCA
6. Machrihanish         Not played - tough to get to, but can't help wonder if I'd be disappointed?
7. Turnberry                 Played - not since renovation admittedly. Had some average holes
8. Castle Stuart         Not played - see Kingsbarns
9. Prestwick                 Played - great fun. So many novel shots and really lovely hazard placement
10. Royal Aberdeen    Not played - but looks like a beautiful layout in the dunes

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »
Sean

Interesting question and surprising no one has asked it before ( I assume they haven't or someone would have flagged up a previous thread). For me the easy bit is my "To do" list of courses that I haven't yet played. In no particular order;

Royal Aberdeen
Machrie
Askernish
Skibo
Turnberry (played the old Turnberry often but not yet the new one)

After that it becomes more difficult;

Moray Old
Glasgow Gailes
Gullane 2 or 3
Elgin*
Cawdor*
Carnoustie
Royal Troon
Duff House Royal*
Cruden Bay

*denotes courses that would be seasonal dependant

Maybe not anyone's top ten or even my top ten but certainly my type of golf. Thought long and hard about adding Forfar to the list but the issue with Forfar I must confess is that it's a bit on the short side and in trying to add length, where they could on a tight site, they have merely managed to make a number of holes of similar length so you are often hitting the same club for your second. Not being a links you don't have a wind to help mitigate that.

That said, still some very good design.

Niall

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »
Hmm...tough to combine those I've seen with those I have not yet and want to see...

How about a wish list 10, in no particular order:

Gleneagles Kings
Gullane #1
Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Askernish
Ardfin
Royal Troon (the only really big name I have not seen)
Turnberry (seen the old version but not the new)
Machrie? (reviews of changes seem mixed)
Boat of Garten

Additional courses would be Gullane #2, Fraserburgh, Crail x2, Elie, Golspie, Skibo, etc.

I've seen all the St. A's courses (including the old version of the Dukes), Carnoustie, Royal Dornoch, Brora, North Berwick, Castle Stuart, Nairn, Kingsbarns, Leven, Lundin, Prestwick, Old Moray, Peterhead, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Muirfield....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
These I have played:

Muirfield - with Portrush and Dornoch my favourite course in the UK, simply great use of ideal golfing ground
Royal Dornoch - see above, more flawed than Muirfield but much more beautiful and the highs are very high indeed
Elie - the perfect holiday golf course, which is a great thing
Prestwick - quirk, history and tons of fun
North Berwick - I used to be of the view that NBWL was over-rated, as I play it more I like it more and more and there's no doubt that the best holes (and there are many) are simply brilliant

I have to admit that after a round there yesterday I was very tempted to put Kilspindie on this list.  Why it isn't more loved here is beyond me.  As much fun as Elie.

These I haven't played but really want to:

Gleneagles Kings
Luffness New
Royal Aberdeen
Machrihanish Dunes
Murcar
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »

I LOVE Gullane #1 and I enjoyed it more than its neighbor if that counts for anything.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
When I first read the title of the thread I assumed it was courses I hadn't played yet, so after my internet crashed before I could read the opening post I spent some time thinking it over and came up with this list...

Prestwick
Shiskine
Machrihanish
Mach Dunes
Ardfin
Gairloch
Cullen
Cruden Bay
Gleneagles Queens
Muirfield

Then the Internet came back to life, so I'm mulling it over again...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
And then I realise I've missed off Elie as I've never played there, really want to see it, but can't think what to take off my list. Stupid lists...  ;D
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Man I wanna play any and all those mentioned. But before I compile a list I should warn that one will be a course called Burnt Island.

I have mentioned this way cool Willie Park track before and just can't get any traction. Has anyone played and if so what am I getting wrong about to be so uniformly ignored
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Brian Finn

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
Of the dozen or so courses in Scotland that I have played, there are 3 that I must include on my "want to play" list:

The Old Course
Cruden Bay
North Berwick

Among the many courses I have not played, those I most want to see are:

Dornoch
Muirfield
Carnoustie
Elie
Gullane #1
Troon
Turnberry
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Ash Towe

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
Sean,
A very interesting question. One I can see repeated in the next few weeks in relation to other countries.

Repeats:

Muirfield
Royal Dornoch
St Andrews
Turnberry ( to see the changes)
Cruden Bay

New:

North Berwick
Renaissance Club
Ardfin
Brora
Preswick

Mark Pavy

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 05:13:16 PM »
Had a conversation yesterday about various things and the topic of modern Scottish courses came up.  During the conversation I was a bit surprised that the fellow said while Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart are remarkable achievements, especially Kingsbarns, they would not be on a list of 10 courses he would play in Scotland even if THE COURSES WERE FREE TO PLAY. Having given this some thought I have to agree even though I think Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns are comfortably top 10 courses in Scotland. 

This fellow, did you happen to get his contact details? I'm sure he'd be as interested as I am in your enlightened day dreaming.

GCA has turned into a poker game between lost golfing souls......who use courses as poker chips.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:29:51 PM by Mark Pavy »

Ash Towe

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »
Sean,

Interesting question. Could be repeated for a few more countries.

Repeats:

St Andrews
Muirfield
Royal Dornoch
Turnberry, to see the changes
Castle Stuart

New:
North Berwick
Rennaisance Club
Prestwick
Brora
Ardfin

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »
I'll go with Ten I haven't seen, or seen and want to go back and play:

Askernish
Portmahomack
Wick
Glencruitten
Spey Bay
Prestwick St Nicholas
Tobermory
Gairloch
West Kilbride
Shetland

James Brown

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
Working on ideas for 2017...

There and back again:

Dornoch (been twice, would go there every year if I could)
TOC (8 years and counting...)
Cruden Bay (maybe my funnest round ever)
Machrihanish (would be nice to see it when not in a 2-day storm)

Next up:

Turnberry
Troon
Prestwick
Gleneagles
Elie
Lundin/Leven (see what I did there)

What I really wanna do is combine a Northern Ireland/Belfast trip to RCD/Portrush with Ayr/Glasgow and take the ferry one way.  Anyone done that?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back