News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Alpaugh

Great 1st Tees
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
My club is hoping to improve our 1st tee and surrounding area so I'm looking for examples/ideas of great 1st tees.  We're a private, very old (1879), parkland golf course.  Pictures of great 1st tee areas would be appreciated.

Wade Whitehead

Re: Great 1st Tees
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
Is your first tee next to the clubhouse?

WW

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »
It's within 30 yards.  At the moment, it's a pretty typical set up; putting green, a couple of cart paths and a small hitting net.  I'm looking for ideas or examples (pictures preferably) of 1st tees that ooze golf.  Thanks for the message, Wade.

John Connolly

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
One height of grass from the apron of practice putting green to an only slightly elevated 1st teeing ground. Don't surround the tee with any rough - rise it just off of grade so it blends with putting green. It works for our old course - 1897. Ask your architect if that would make any sense for the kind of course you have. Put down markers only if you must.  ;D
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Steve Salmen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
Two of the more unique first tees that come to mind are Elie and Renaissance.
Elie tee is pitched upward to help the shot carry the trouble.
At Renaissance, the driving range runs right into the putting green, which runs right to the first tee. You can literally practice putting from the first tee to the far end of the practice tee.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
Not sure why but a quality clock feels like golf.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:16:37 AM »
Pat, can we see a picture(s) of your first tee? Or do you not want to reveal the specific club?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:41:34 AM »
When looking for great first tees then I do not think you need look further than Alwoodley which is surely the greatest of them all.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:53:04 AM »
Great 1st tees are hard to come by.  For one, the buildings around it (and there should be the house very near) need to be attractive.  For another, a sense of coziness has to also give way to a sense of eagerness to play the game.  So while cozy, the tee has to have a promise of things to come. For me, the best 1st tees are

Alwoodley

Hunstanton

Blackwell...spoiled somewhat by the blind drive

Prestwick
Pennard
Prestwick
Royal Aberdeen
TOC...spoiled somewhat by the house not being open to all...sense of disconnect for visitors

But I fear what I look for can't really be added at a later date...the setting has to be designed into the course from the get go unless there is a serious overhaul of the property. Great 1st tees are incredibly rare.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:06:50 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 05:06:44 AM »
Royal St George's is pretty special as is the obvious US choice in Merion.
Cave Nil Vino

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
Machrihanish is the obvious answer, but probably not a very useful one for your purposes -- you can't exactly magic sea into existence!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Machrihanish is the obvious answer, but probably not a very useful one for your purposes -- you can't exactly magic sea into existence!

Adam,

my understanding is Pat is interested in the tee complex itself though  I love Machriharnish and its spectacular tee shot.

Jon

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
Inverness (US)

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 07:18:10 AM »
Atlantic City CC

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »
Thanks very much for the prompt replies. 

Matt: I'll see if I can find a decent image of our current set up. 

Jon:  You're correct.  At this stage, I'm primarily focussed on the 1st tee complex. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:05 AM »

Blackwell...spoiled enhanced somewhat by the blind drive

Sean, I fixed the above typo for you.

Simple and intimate are the watch words of my favorite first tee areas.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

John Crowley

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
Riviera
Cypress Point
SFGC(10th tee)
Merion

The closer to the building, either clubhouse or pro shop, the better.
As Sean mentions Hunstanton fits this model.  You can hear the people on deck talking and swear they are all watching you.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
Royal Jersey GC.

In Grouville, Jersey, the seaside village where both Harry Vardon and Ted Ray originated.

Par-5, prevailing wind from the left, beach and rocks all along the right, narrow fairway with additional hazards that are a yee olde stone fort and two WWII gun implacements, stunning view with Mont Orgueil Castle on its hilltop in the distance and the French coast on the eastern horizon -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@49.1854436,-2.0341321,16z/data=!3m1!1e3

Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »

JJShanley

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
Silloth has a great first tee, a little like Sean's photograph of Alwoodley, in that you can walk right from the clubhouse to the tee.  No other distractions.  We've discussed SoS's finer points elsewhere, so I shall stop there for now.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Littlestone's is pretty cool as it is right in front of the clubhouse and next to the putting green. Let down by not having a net nearby to warm up in. I think Deal's is great as you are right in view of the balcony on a summer's day. The Surrey courses are generally terrific. West Hill 1st lines up next to the pro shop, Woking is similar and New Zealand's is so close to the club house it needs a net alongside to prevent a slice into the secretary's office.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Brian_Ewen

Sam Kestin

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
Is that Highfield photo what it appears to be?

Looks like the first tee is on the second level of the clubhouse!

If so--unbelievably cool.

Bel-Air CC in Los Angeles should do something like this with their first/tenth tees. The tenth hole in particular is beloved because of the swinging bridge--but generally I don't much care for an uphill par-3 where you can't even see the green. If you threw the tee box up on the roof of the clubhouse--not only would you have a truly special view of Los Angeles but you'd also get a much better look at the 10th green.

It's a great green complex--I just wish the tee was about one or two stories higher!

Admittedly, this is kind of a circus. But it would be my kind of circus.

PThomas

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
Mid Ocean
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back