News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC New
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »

At first glance Aiken is much like any other mid size American town.  Along the three block high street there are the few bars and cafes, hardware store, scattering of gift shops, offices of lawyers and insurance agents, banks, a gas station etc.  However, if one is in town long enough to notice the vehicles, people and gifts, it is clear there is one over-riding characteristic of Aiken which sets it apart...and that is equestrian pursuits of all types.  However, it is probably fair to say polo is the prominent sport. Indeed, Whitney Polo Field was first used for the sport in 1882 and retains the longest consecutive period of play in the country.

The horse scene is the legacy of Aiken’s Winter Colony, which was the accidental result of the marriage between Louise Eustis and Thomas Hitchcock. Having spent much time in Aiken, shortly after their union in 1891, Louise convinced her husband to winter in Aiken.  The wealthy financier quickly realized that the sandy, loam soil and mild winter climate were a perfect combination for training horses.  Not much later Hitchcock invited William Whitney, a former Secretary of the Navy in President Cleveland’s administration and famous horse breeder, to Aiken for the winter.  Thus, just a half hour walk southeast from the centre of town was born the Winter Colony, which eventually counted Astors and Vanderbilts among its many wealthy residents.

Bellying up to the centre of town is perhaps an even greater legacy of the Hitchcock’s.  After a terrible riding accident which claimed the life of Louise in 1933, her husband decided to honour her memory by donating 1191 acres of land which is known as Hitchcock Woods. Today, the Hitchcock Woods Foundation manages about 2100 acres.  To put the immense size of this park in perspective, it is nearly three times the size of New York’s Central Park.

Adjacent to Hitchcock Woods, Hopelands Gardens is another incredibly generous gift for public use.  Within the park, this old stable was converted to a Hall of Fame.

Golf and golfers also owe Thomas Hitchcock a world of gratitude for early on he recognized the pleasures of golf.  Accordingly, he laid out a four hole course off Whiskey Road, in the heart of the Winter Colony.  By 1895 Herbert Leeds would complete an 18 hole design.  When Dr A MacKenzie completed Augusta National in 1932 he was asked to convert the sand greens to grass and lengthen the course.  It may be the case that D Emmet worked at Palmetto circa 1924, though I don't know any details. After decades of piecemeal work, in 2005 Tom Doak re-introduced some MacKenzie flare to the design by extending greens to the original size and reworking bunkers.  The club is vigilant about preserving the playing characteristics of the course and with Gil Hanse as the consultant there is talk of re-grassing Palmetto with a newer strain of Bermuda.

In true Aiken style, Palmetto is not owned by the members. The club leases the land from the  Whitney Trust which was set up by you guessed it, William Whitney and Thomas Hitchcock. By leasing the land to organizations such as Palmetto GC and Aiken Polo Club, Whitney protected the land for the benefit of sport which helps keep Aiken attractive and developers at bay. 

The very inviting nature of the downhill opener belies the hidden terrors of the green.  The false front is far more severe than it seems; making pin high approaches a very difficult two-putt.  One of my favourite design features is evident; to the right is the back section of the 14th green which intersects the 1st fairway.

Covering flatter terrain, the second isn't as inviting as the first, but the bunker jutting out from the right is a more worrying hazard than it seems from the tee.

There are few courses which reel the golfer into the world of its architecture better than Palmetto's opening three holes.  The 3rd is not only blind from the tee, but a beautifully placed bunker artistically conceals the dastardly nature of the green.  These closer looks at the forward bunker and green offer the viewer a reasonable taste of the hole's delights.

More to follow

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:38:33 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Nigel Islam

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC GC 1-3
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »
Sea, keep it coming. I keep asking myself "Why haven't I played this course yet?"

Sean_A

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC GC 1-3 New
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:14:34 AM »
Cheers Nigel.

Palmetto Tour Cont.

Very much like Augusta, many of Palmetto's greens have the curious effect of floating on the landscape.  Not only does the aesthetic work very well, but working out yardages is very difficult...especially when we consider the rather diminutive size of the greens and penalties for a miscue.  I notice three features which I think create a sense of unattachment. 

1. Lack of trees around greens.

2. Short grass around greens.

3. Perhaps most importantly, green sites located on ledges and plateaux enhanced with at times quite severe shaping.

The 4th is probably the best example of the above.  Most golfers will become increasingly intimidated the closer they are to the green and eventually shake their heads in amazement while gazing over the scene from the 5th tee. 

If the golfer can beg, borrow or steal their way to the left side of the fairway it will be to great advantage.

Near the 5th tee.

The 5th is far more straight-forward, though the green probably has the most severe slope on the course.  It is absolutely imperative to remain below the hole.  However, two-putting to an extreme rear hole location is dicey. 

Rear of the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:38:48 PM by Sean_A »

William_G

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC 1-5
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:12:14 AM »
Palmetto is fantastic!
It's all about the golf!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
This is fun, thanks Sean - your usual excellent write-up so far.

And, even before you mentioned Worcester I found myself thinking "Hmm, Sean must feel as if he'd never left England", since -- a few species of trees aside -- I could've sworn it was one of your English inland tour stops.

P

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »

Thanks for the nice photos Sean.

Palmetto does have a few of those vexing half par holes in the beginning.  The third and fifth can be difficult pars. The steep 4 foot false front on the third holes demands a good approach shot. The wild green at the 5th really gets your attention.

Standing at the first tee looking down to the distant green, clubhouse and 18th green immediately behind you, is one of the unique opening tee shots in the south.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
Is that the right scorecard Sean or is it a scorecard for the forward tees?  I remember the course being longer than 6,000 yards.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
I shall ponder the Dr Mack'/WG&CC thought as I see more of this photo-tour. Thanks for posting so far.
Atb

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
Yank

I hope Aiken GC is your nxt feature. I am bummed that you apparently traveled to SC and I didn't have a chance to join you or invite you t play my May River GC.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
Sean, the greens complexes reminded me of some of the midlands courses in England. It is a wonderful course with a couple of head scratchers. It's too bad 18 had to be shoe horned in. It is a disappoi to end to a gear course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC 1-5 New
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 01:13:19 PM »
Wardo...is that an invite  8)

Jason...sure, Palmetto stretches some 6700+ yards, but we didn't venture back there.  The course played plenty long with the sticky Bermuda. 

Palmetto Tour Cont.

We finally play something other than a two-shotter and this par 5 is plenty fine. 

Once again, the green doesn't look severe and relative to some other holes it isn't.  However....

I find bunker spreading a great feature to help disguise elevation change and thus yardage.

The wee 7th tumbles off the back of the 6th green and presents as severe a target as one could wish on an enemy.

Rear of the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:46:49 PM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC 1-7 New
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »
Palmetto Tour Cont

The great golf on the front 9 isn't quite finished.  There is still the 8th on the table, yet another splendid hole.  As on the 5th, the bunker down the left seems an unlikely adversary, but on a left sloping fairway it is perfectly placed for a natural roll-out.  We also want to approach from near this position because the green feeds from the right.   

It doesn't take too much imagination to realize the consequences of an under-played approach, but it is something to watch balls turn left as if on demand.

The short 9th leaves us at the tip of the boot shaped property, the furthest hole from the house.  Fairly straight-forward, this par 3 is severely uphill.  A short par five, the 10th seems like it should yield a very good opportunity for birdie except for the dime size green is not a friendly target.  With recoveries not at all simple, we should be asking ourselves if it isn't more prudent to lay up for the up the gut chip and putt.     

The severity of #9's ascent is better appreciated by the descent of the 11th.  The drop shot is not my favourite type of hole, but Palmetto's version is spicier than most. 

The green is an awkward little cuss.  The front third rises above the surrounding area while the back 20ish% funnels away as if it were a drain.  This hole location is perfectly set to trap the aggressive putter.  With the hole in this location this could well be a case of wanting to be aggressive with the tee shot with the thought that chipping back to the green is a good miss.  What a shrewd green!

The 12th is an odd hole and one that I suspect has been heavily compromised by technology.  Other than simply to throttle flat bellies, I am not sure why the trees are there to create separation between the direct route to the green and the forced dogleg.  Essentially, the visual element of enticement has been removed...not good.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:08:32 AM by Sean_A »

Joe Sponcia

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC 1-12
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for posting.  Once your tour is complete, I may post a few from different perspectives.  Palmetto is a really special place.  The locker room, with the carved-wood club champions from the late 1800's-early 1900's really made me pause...to think of the many great lovers of the game that have played this gem. 

The 2nd and 3rd green are as good as anything I have ever seen, as is the 5th (which is probably my favorite). 

I wouldn't call the course an overly difficult driving course, but the correct side of the fairway really matters.  Hitting fairways but not scoring can lull one into thinking he's having a decent round. 

I look forward to the rest of your photo's.

Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Sean_A

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC 1-12 New
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
Joe

I agree that for many holes where one drives makes a big difference.  However, how one gains the best position on holes such as 4 and 13 is a very difficult proposition.  Interestingly, both holes have a bunker dead on the best line.

PALMETTO TOUR CONT.

13 through 15 play along a large wooded area to left.  The drive on the uphill 13th doesn't look slippery, but balls will leak well right if there is any hint of a fade.  I suspect many drives end up on the 5th green!  It is also worth noting that similar to the 4th, there is a lone bunker lurking on the best line. 

Many will be left with an approach over the right greenside bunker.  Some of these golfers will think a play to the left may be a good spot for a chip n' putt recovery...think again.

Behind the green, near 14 tee.

Named Crazy Creek, presumably because what looks like a man-made depression cutting through the middle of the fairway feeds into Crazy Creek, unseen to the left, the 14th is a welcome downhill par 5.  Though, as is usually the case, positioning is important for the approach, be it the second or third shot. 

Back to the rigour of uphill golf.  Very short and a steeply uphill par 4, the 15th strikes me as a hold-out from the 19th century, but I think it was likely one of the last holes designed for the current routing.  There is probably less room on this hole than any other as the left side feeding down to a path is determined to be a hazard.  This is not a hole I admire, but it is topped with an interesting green.

The routing has been ticking along beautifully until the 16th.  There is an odd hitch in that we have to make our way around the 18th green to the other side of the house to find the tee.  My gut tells me there used to be a linking hole (maybe two) in days gone by to access the area consisting of 16 & 17.  Of course, one could start the round on the 16th and the awakwardness would be avoided.  Be that as it may, the 16th is a very different hole to the other par 3s.  Essentially, the previous three one-shotters served as linking holes to cope with sharp elevation changes.  The 16th is long and flat with a twist of a raised green.  The hole isn't a looker, but it certainly completes a well varied set of threes in style.  Well short of the green is an interesting forward bunker which adds a bit of colour.

The severity of the target is best illustrated left of the green.

Playing blindly downhill, the 17th requires two fairly straight shots.  Any miss to the right is doomed. 

The home hole is quite a short par 4, but back uphill to yet another severe green...surprise, surprise.  A look from behind the green.

It is easy to tell that I am immensely impressed with Palmetto.  Like many of the best courses which are short on total yardage, the course plays far longer than its card suggests because of the preponderance of uphill approaches. Yet most golfers will rarely feel much pressure on the tee, but will later wish more care was taken with the driver.  The greens are a marvel which will reward a good short game and those with experience.  Palmetto feels to me like a British course with unusual grass.  Its not overly manicured nor fussy.  The golfer isn't asked to perform miracles of walking on water nor search for balls in long rough or trees.  Quite honestly, the course doesn't ask much of the golfer except to have fun.  It then is difficult to put into words how a course of 6100 yards can be such a handful. I suppose the only solution is to have another go!  2*  2016 

Three Carolina Courses Tour

Hope Valley
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63496.0.html

Aiken GC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63562.0.html

More Carolina Course Tours

Pinehurst #2
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65082.msg1552451.html#msg1552451

Pine Needles
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65052.0.html

Raleigh CC
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61993.msg1473385.html#msg1473385

Roaring Gap
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61881.msg1469504.html#msg1469504

Mimosa Hills
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61874.msg1469315.html#msg1469315

Lonnie Poole
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61832.msg1468459.html#msg1468459

Mid Pines, Dormie Club, Wildwood Green & Old Town
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57154.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:33:23 AM by Sean_A »

Tim Taylor

Re: Three Carolina Courses: PALMETTO GC
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:23 AM »
Thank you Sean. This was a memorable reminder of the Dixie Cup seven or eight years ago, that also included Aiken Golf Club (another very fun course).

Tim

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
Sean:

I'm slightly surprised that you did not think the course is over-bunkered, as that is one of your usual reluctances about MacKenzie courses.  However I am a big fan of Palmetto, too.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 05:36:21 AM »
Tom

There are a few, not many, bunkers which didn't make a lot of sense.  The only one which really struck me as poor was the fairway bunker on 12 (trees or bunker...why both...and in this case if its throttling flat bellies that is the goal trees do a better job).  In general though, there are load of very well placed bunkers and the balance between fairway and greens is good as well. I was surprised there isn't more sandy areas that seem as if they just emerge from the ground. 

I am very impressed with the course and now really want to see Myopia!

Ciao   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:34:15 PM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »
A question...when I look at the 1918 routing of Palmetto everything looks tickity boo except for #7.  It looks like this hole is quite different to now with the tee behind 6 green and playing mainly along the bottom of the ridge and slightly uphill.  The map shows a very different hole.  Does anybody know the story?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back