News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

An architects dream piece of land: Sandbanks provinicial park
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
I spent the long weekend enjoying the beaches at Sandbanks provincial park in Ontario. This area contains the largest and most extensive fresh water sand bar and dune system in the world.
While hiking through the endless 60 to 70 foot dunes I kept thinking how an architect would kill to work on this piece of property. It's basically a giant sandbox with 60 to 70 foot dunes and water on 2 sides of the property. Here is an aerial of the site.

Not only that but the site is within a few hours of Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa...which represents over 10 million people.

I am glad though that it is a provincial park and all can enjoy it's beauty. As much as I am sure a world class golf course could be built there, I'd much rather it stay the way it is. I just thought everyone would find it kind of neat to see.

A few pics of the area I found online:

A pic of the beach.  I couldn't believe such a beautiful beach existed only a few hours from my home and I never heard of it before. Almost felt like I was down south somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:10:17 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tom_Doak

Re: An architects dream piece of land: Sandbanks provinicial park
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »
That's gorgeous.  Ah, well.

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
The first pic looks like a lovely reverse Redan!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
About 400 acres worth. Thank you
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »
Certainly beautiful, but does every sand dune along the water need to be turned into a golf course?
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »
Certainly beautiful, but does every sand dune along the water need to be turned into a golf course?

No, no it does not.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »

No, no it does not.
Which is why I said I'd rather it stay the way it is.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
Sorry, Matt. I read too quickly.
H.P.S.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 11:02:49 PM »
Matt,

That's the 3rd best spot in Ontario ...

Pinery at Grand Bend is better site - looked at site close by with secondary dunes for about six holes 10 years ago

There's one even better, looked at that around five years ago, but it comes with some serious complications attached to it. But it's the one that is possible and has the greatest potential.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

I will say yes to this, and I know most will disagree, but thats fine with me.  ;)

Given the thousands and thousands of miles of sandy dunes world wide, I don't know why golf cant use its fair share of it!

If I had to guess, maybe  .001% is currently being used by golf ATM! We could increase that ten fold and it would still be an incredibly small number.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back