News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

had set up shop in different areas?  What if Jerry Matthews had been in Atlanta, GA.  Art Hills in Tampa, FL.  Tom Doak in Detroit, MI. Mike Young in Cincinnati?  Jeff Brauer in Milwaukee?  Tom Fazio in Iowa?  Rees Jones in New Orleans? 

Would the Golf Landscape look much different? 

Mark Pritchett

Re: How much different would the Golf landscape look like if Architects
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »
I'll take a stab at it:

Doak's would be awesome and everyone else's would be "missed opportunities". 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
Ben,

Interesting question.

For me, I don't think it would have made a huge difference, but maybe.  While my mentors focused on the local remodel market, I was intent on doing new courses everywhere.  Not to mention, I always felt a bit of anti-northerner Texas attitude that kept me from marketing really heavy in my adopted home town.  I might have done more local projects in another city.

I have given some thought as to how the dearth of classic courses in Texas may have affected my design attitudes.  Again, my mentors had little regard for the oldies anyway, and when I moved to Dallas it was all about making it Big D, a modern city, little looking back.  It might have affected me somewhat, but I have never really thought so.

As to results, I always wanted to be the next Ralph Plummer in Dallas, and have managed about 15 major projects here, so I got part way there, but again, never wanted to be exclusive to my region, either, and always went where work took me.  However, my projects with Larry Nelson were probably a result of being in Dallas - his agent was here and (back in those days) wanted to call an architect for Larry to pair with, but didn't want to waste a long distance call, or a trip to meet in person, so he called me.  So, being where you are does have some effect!

I guess its the old pebble in the ocean thing, it probably had some effect.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
Sand...it's all about the sand...work in as much sand as you can no matter where you are located...and I've been a mud guy ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
Mike Young in Cincinnati. He would be a huge Buckeyes fan.

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
what are buckeyes?   I'm a Tuberville fan and was a Babcock guy....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
Some type of oink, I thoink.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
what are buckeyes?   I'm a Tuberville fan and was a Babcock guy....

I don't know who or what those are.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:48:51 AM »

Would the Golf Landscape look much different?

I doubt it would look much different at all.

If I'd set up my office in Detroit, we might have had something to do with renovating a public course down there, although there hasn't been much money to do so in the past 20 years.  On the other hand, I wouldn't have gotten to play Crystal Downs so much, so maybe my work would have suffered.

I set up shop in northern Michigan because I had built two of my first three courses up here, but as Jeff relates of his own story, I had bigger dreams than becoming the dominant architect in northern Michigan.  And I could see from my early work that all new courses were being marketed on their designer's names, and therefore, other developers in Michigan would want to hire other names, to differentiate themselves.  In fact, I once remarked to a friend that I wouldn't be able to build another course in northern Michigan until Rees Jones and Tom Weiskopf had worked here -- they hadn't at the time -- and I turned out to have pegged that correctly!

I used to see Steve Smyers sometimes when I was waiting for a plane out of Traverse City, getting off the flight coming in, to build a project that was five miles from my house.  And I'd think to myself, someday I will build a course in your backyard.  Steve lives in Lakeland, FL; we had an apartment there when we were building Streamsong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back