News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Jonathan Cavalier Interview
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
Much of the discussion on this forum has been supplemented and supported by photography. One of the fellows who contributes such images is Jonathan Cavalier. Jon sends out daily images on Twitter @linksgems and if you don't have a Twitter account, you should set one up for the sole purpose of receiving his images.

JC put down the lens to answer questions for us and here are the results:

http://buffalogolfer.com/wordpress/2016-interview-series-jonathan-cavalier/

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Nigel Islam

Re: Jonathan Cavalier Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:17:39 AM »
Thanks Ron. Great interview.

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
Jon joined our group at Bandon last year. It truly was amazing how many quality photos he took from a variety of angles and vantage points without ever slowing down play. It always seemed like he was walking along with the rest of us, yet after the round he had all sorts of photos from out-of-the-way spots.

After the trip, another player in our group said "My best picture is of Jon taking a picture!"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:31:28 AM »
My wife caddies for me whenever I play one club golf and has specific orders to not take any pictures of me when I am not looking. Last night I took her to tennis and videoed me without permission during warm ups. Everyone who has access to her accounts had a great laugh watching me waddle around not getting to a damn ball because nobody chases balls during warm ups!!! I'm sure nature feels the same way, the simplest of moments ruined though pictures that can't possible capture the whole story. I'm sick of the lies of photography and pray everyday for the ban of cameras from all public spaces. Just because you don't see someone taking a picture doesn't mean that they aren't stealing your privacy.

That being said I do love the irony of the RoMo interview. He truly is Best of Show.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
John:

I agree with you - no person should have their photo taken without their knowledge and consent. I'm sorry your wife's friends had a chuckle at you, but I'm sure it was good natured. Nevertheless, she shouldn't have done it without your permission.

That said, there are no people in my photos. Mother Nature has yet to gripe.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Ron:

Thanks for reaching out about doing this, and for your thoughtful, thought provoking questions. I enjoyed answering them, even if it did take me quite a while.

Jon
Golf Photos via

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »
Very nicely done, Ron. It was good to learn a bit more about Jon.

The only thing missing: photos of Jon's face and body from several different angles and in several different lights (e.g. around sunrise and sunset) so as to brilliantly highlight the contours, hazards, and the quality of the recent renovation....

:) 

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
Jon joined our group at Bandon last year. It truly was amazing how many quality photos he took from a variety of angles and vantage points without ever slowing down play. It always seemed like he was walking along with the rest of us, yet after the round he had all sorts of photos from out-of-the-way spots.

After the trip, another player in our group said "My best picture is of Jon taking a picture!"

Thanks Joel. I enjoyed that trip immensely, and I hope everyone enjoyed the photos.
Golf Photos via

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »
Very nicely done, Ron. It was good to learn a bit more about Jon.

The only thing missing: photos of Jon's face and body from several different angles and in several different lights (e.g. around sunrise and sunset) so as to brilliantly highlight the contours, hazards, and the quality of the recent renovation....

:)

I try not to photograph the gunch.
Golf Photos via

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »
Jon,

My issue is that you don't know you're not in the photos until you see the photos. It's like being in a bar where someone has their camera out, you don't need to be captured to be uncomfortable.

If given the choice between playing golf with a novice who shoots 126 or with a novice photographer who shoots 126 pictures while breaking par I'll take the bad golfer every time. Quickness and/or stealth is not an excuse to pull a camera. It's one of those things, like poor hygiene, that no one will tell you is wrong. They just won't invite you again.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
How exactly is playing golf with someone taking pictures different than playing with someone texting?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »
John:

Your preference is your preference, and I certainly respect that. We've never had the pleasure of meeting or playing together, so I can't speak to whether you'd enjoy a round with me or not, and vice versa.

I can only speak from my experience, and tell you that of the hundreds of people that I've played with over the years, I've yet to hear a complaint. In fact, I think I'm pretty good company on the golf course - but I'm biased.

I hear you - you hate golf photography and think it should be banned. I don't agree, obviously, and I think it provides me with the best means of contributing here and elsewhere.

If more people felt like you, I'm sure I'd hear about it. As I've said before, if people stopped wanting to see photos, I'd stop sharing them.

We've been over this. We know how you feel. I'm not sure what else we can say on the subject.

Jon
Golf Photos via

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
Jon,

I get it, the video of me stumbling around while my wife laughs in the background got my daughter through a tough day. I guess I'm just selfish.

I would like to know if you ever golfed with someone who sends and/or takes three to five texts every hole. Could you explain the difference.

David Davis

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
Jon,

I get it, the video of me stumbling around while my wife laughs in the background got my daughter through a tough day. I guess I'm just selfish.

I would like to know if you ever golfed with someone who sends and/or takes three to five texts every hole. Could you explain the difference.

JK,

This is you being you and just searching for agitation. I don't buy it for one second what you wrote above.

The difference is, the photographer you are not noticing taking photographs is focused on the golf and golf course architecture, something that even you personally love. The guy sending the texts has just received the video of you playing tennis the other night and is sharing that with the rest of the world. Laughing at your expense.

He's also telling his buddies about that shank you just hit and how you wrapped your club around your bag in anger (and I know you are good player and don't shank often, so can only imagine how angry that made you).

On that note I think I'll head down to Augustinerkellar here in Munich for a beer. May I put that on your account? ;-)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:29:24 PM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

David Davis

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 12:39:51 PM »
Ron/Jon,

Thanks for the interview. I enjoyed it as well and I've been amazed by the eye that Jon has when taking pictures. I believe his shots to be the best I have seen from an "amateur" if you can call him that, I wouldn't. On top of that being able to take those high quality shots during a round of golf is quite the feat of multitasking and to also shoot in the 70's while taking more photos than swings, well I take my hat off.

I take a lot of photos but only use my iPhone, I do it so I can always go back and remember the holes and wish I had the eye Jon has.

I don't get in the way with my photos, can't really say that about my golf. It's hard enough standing above the ball and trying to remember how to breath let alone focus on the game at hand.

Hopefully we shall have the chance to tee it up sometime soon.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Jon,

John:

I honestly don't know if I have or haven't played with such a person.  If I have, I guess I just wasn't paying attention since they weren't bothering me.

Jon
Golf Photos via

Eric LeFante

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
Great interview Ron.

I'm a huge fan Jon. Love seeing your pictures on Twitter and Instagram. Any chance you will post more photo tours on your blog (i.e. Hollywood, Stonewall, Merion)?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
You don't even notice that he's taking photographs.  He's quick, he's discreet and he's a real pro.  It's nothing like playing with a text-a-holic.  It is a total non-issue.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
Ronald -

Thanks for the interview.

Jonathan -

Thanks for the many photo tours you have posted here. I would enjoy having the opportunity to see you "in action" at Dornoch and the nearby courses some time.

DT

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
It's like smoking was 30 years ago. People will have to die before it stops. Pokemon Go deaths are on the rise thank God.

I am very proud of my 21 year old son who came home from college and declared phone free zones. The youth have grown up knowing nothing else and now want the rare treat of human interaction.

On a side note I do feel a bit guilty for my new friends who joined me at St. Andrews and kept their cameras at bay. I hope they didn't miss anything.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
irony

irony, or I RON Y

OT, but this reminds me of a recent comment my wife made to me the other day; I was giggling at myself, and she asked why. After I replied it was because I was clever, she said, " I don't care what you are, I still love you".

She out-clevered me........not sure that's what's going on here though.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason Way

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks for getting this interview done with Jon, Ron.  It has been my pleasure to get to know him and watch him develop his craft.  Along with many others here, each of whom brings their own value to the mix, we are lucky to have Jon in the treehouse.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:26:58 PM »
Without question Jon is an asset to this community. He wouldn't take pictures without the demand created by needy people who will never learn to cherish what they have seen, dream of what they will see and let go of what they never will.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 04:45:47 PM »
He wouldn't take pictures without the demand created by needy people who will never learn to cherish what they have seen, dream of what they will see and let go of what they never will.

I like to see photos of golf courses, especially good ones.  To my eye Jon's photos are right there with the very best.  So his photo tours are always a treat for me. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back