News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Drew Groeger

Scotland golf questions
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
OK, I can understand the potential eye rolling at ANOTHER post about golfing in Scotland, as they are numerous here at GCA. And I've read nearly every one in preparation for my trip there next month (they have been invaluable!) BUT, I still have a few specific questions I can't seem to get my head around and/or am just curious about getting more info before we take off.

First, a few deets:
My wife and I will be staying in Edinburgh for a week (Sep 18th/24th) and in St. Andrews for a week (Sep 25th/30th). I'm planning on playing East Lothian area courses while we are based in EDI and Fife area courses while in St. Andrews. I have my short list of courses I'd like to play for both areas and would be happy to share them, but that's not necessarily the point of this post. However, suggestions/recommendations are ALWAYS welcomed! In case my "extensive" research has missed a gem here or there. From all the excellent information here at GCA, I feel like I know where I should be playing and at the same time I'm sure I know nothing.

My questions:

1 - So, about this need to show a "handicap card" to play TOC (and some others?). What, EXACTLY is required? The St. Andrews website refers to it as your "handicap certificate". I do have an official USGA handicap but its all done electronically and I've never received a "certificate". Do I just show them the app on my phone that shows my index? Photocopy the webpage with my handicap info? Obviously, I'd hate to go all the way to St. Andrews and be denied access because I brought the wrong thing!

2 - My wife is not a golfer so I will be playing here, there, everywhere as a single. Should I be setting up specific tee time reservations for all of the courses I'm looking to play (TOC excluded, obviously, as I'll be waiting in line)? Or can I call the course a day or two ahead and see whats available? Somewhere in between? I understand having set tee times guarantees me the golfing and it also locks in our schedule. Which isnt the worst thing in the world but having some flexibility during a holiday is always nice, if not the purpose.

3 - I would love to play Gullane the week we are in Edinburgh, however I notice they are doing disk seeding on no. 2 on Sep 19th and on no. 1 on the 20th. (http://www.gullanegolfclub.com/courses/work-courses). Will either course be "Worth" playing at all that week? I get that I'm not going to have perfect conditions at every course I play (nae wind), and perhaps Gullane with bumpy greens is still better than most, but anyone with knowledge about what those conditions might actually be would be helpful.

David_Tepper

Re: Scotland golf questions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:11 PM »
Regarding #1, photocopying or printing out the webpage showing your GHIN should be all you need. 

Charles Lund

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
1.  Print your handicap "certificate" from the web site where you view it.  There should be a spot to click to print.
2.  Write a generic email inquiring about tee times and/or policies related to single play and scheduled maintenance relevant to playing conditions.  Ask the course what they recommend as best way to access tee times.  Be sure to let them know if you are flexible as to date and time of play.  I travel solo and send an email saying "I am happy to follow any policies related to play by singles,  such as going out as first tee time or being paired with other players."
3.  If you will want a caddie, ask how to request one.

Charles Lund

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
Drew

Re booking tee times I suggest you simply email the club and ask. I suspect at this time of year they will be relatively quiet during the week but depending on which club there might be visitor restrictions on certain days. Booking a time will give you reassurance but if you need to change your time most will be happy to accommodate you.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
Consider either very early or late afternoon tee times, often easier as a single - which will allow you to do other maybe touristy kinda things with your wife during much of the day, although be aware of sunset times in relation to late pm golf.
Atb

Drew Groeger

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies! Thanks David/Charles re: the handicap certificate. I will fire up the printer. Also thanks to Niall/Thomas re: booking as a single. I am in the process of sending out emails to the respective clubs.

Anyone with insight into Gullane's disk seeding? I know here in the US Midwest, many courses do what is known as "punching" the greens, after which many are unplayable-ish for a period of time. I don't know if disk seeding is the same thing separated by a common language or a different process altogether.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
Drew -

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about disc/slit seeding:

SLIT SEEDERS 101

There are slit seeders available for primary seeding, or seeding into bare dirt, but overseeding — seeding over established turf — is the most common type of slit seeding operation for most landscape professionals. As such, slit seeders for overseeding will be the primary focus for this article.
Slit seeders utilize closely-spaced vertical cutting blades or discs to create a shallow furrow, or slit in the turf, in which seeds are placed. The seed is stored in a hopper until it's delivered to the soil and, depending on the machine, a roller or series of packer wheels may follow behind the seed head to close the slit around the seed to promote additional seed-to-soil contact.The delivery system is responsible for effectively delivering the seed to the slit. Some machines place seed directly into the slit, which is preferable to systems that essentially broadcast seed over the slits and hope they go in. A delivery system that places seed directly into the slit will require less seed to achieve success.
With the ability to easily maneuver around landscaping and tight areas common in residences, walk-behind slit seeders are most often used by landscape contractors. These units are powered by a small engine, and typically have a seeding width of 20- to 24-inches. The verticutting blades have a secondary dethatching effect as well, and most walk-behind units can function well as a dethatcher simply by leaving seed out of the hopper.The larger, more open spaces of a sports field or golf course require larger, most often tractor-mounted, PTO-driven overseeders. These units typically seed a 48- to 60-inch swath, allowing them to cover a lot of ground quickly, but their maneuverability in tight spaces is limited. Many of these larger units will utilize verticutting or disc-type blades.

My guess is the course will be OK to play within 2 or 3 days after the procedure.

DT
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:08:58 PM by David_Tepper »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »
I played a number of courses on a solo trip (my wife came along as well) a few years ago.

Regarding courses to play, if it's on the water I will bet you will enjoy it.

The only courses I contacted in advance were North Berwick and courses I played in open comps.  I called or booked a few online the day before and the rest I just walked into the proshop.  I never had to wait more than 30 minutes for those I walked up to.  Even some I booked over the phone I walked out earlier than my given tee time because the courses were relatively empty. 

Here's a link to my trip report:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56040.0.html

My initial itinerary varied a bit from the final itinerary and I'm glad there was flexibility (but it was a long enough trip that I could be flexible).

I'm making a shorter trip to Ireland next month and won't have a single round pre-booked.  I figure if I can't get out I'll drive a bit down the coast to the next course.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
 "I figure if I can't get out I'll drive a bit down the coast to the next course."

Joe T. -

Just be aware there are not nearly the density of golf courses on the coast of Ireland, once you are away from the greater Dublin area, that there are in Scotland.

In Fife, East Lothian, Ayrshire, etc. you usually can find another golf course driving 15-20 minutes (or less). On the west coast of Ireland, you may have to drive an hour or two (or more) to reach the next village with a course. A little advance planning might be worth your while.

DT
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:48:45 PM by David_Tepper »

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »
FWIW, last June we were successful in the ballot for TOC and I didn't have a card. The starter was happy to look at my phone. It was actually funny because I had the data turned off because I don't have a UK plan and had to go where I could use the Links Trust wifi to download it.

And, like Joe T. the only rounds we pre-booked for our six-week trip were at St. Andrews.

We didn't even book lodging for the last three weeks. Booking.com is awesome.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back