News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Josh Stevens

Re: Peter Thompson Retiring As A GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »
Well he was a nice guy, and was quite a golfer, but I'm counting on the fingers of one hand how many courses he left behind that are or will be regarded as classics.  I have quite a few fingers to spare.

Not wishing to speak ill of the near dead, but I suspect history will show he was a better golfer than architect.  But then he wouldn't be the only one of whom that could be said.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 05:49:58 AM »
Josh

What would you say was the best site he had to work with?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »
I guess most would say National Ocean and Moonah were pretty amazing sites, but I have not played Moonah so I cant attest to that effort.

Not sure what the site of the Capital in Melbourne is like as I am not a high roller and so no chance of getting on.  Its only a stones throw from Kingston Heath, but perhaps it is swamp - I don't know.

There was also the reno work he did at Royal Adelaide and Lake Karrinyup, both decent sites, that have had to be dug up and redone.

Don't know much about the non-Aussie work.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
I always thought the routing at the Dukes, St. Andrews was pretty good as was the rhythm of the course though the rest of it was pretty mundane and is much better since the renovation a couple of years back.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:24:53 AM »

What would you say was the best site he had to work with?

Ryan, I think the Cape Schanck site for the Ocean course at The National (Mornington Peninsula) is probably the best site. The Open course at Moonah Links just down the road is nearly as good. Really spacious plots, with great topography, great soil, good - great clients, little to no restrictions from a permit perspective, wonderful vegetation, and a variety of winds acting on them. Doesn't get a lot better than the Ocean course site & job. I imagine many designers never have a site like that with which to work during their entire career. Interestingly, Tom Doak's St. Andrews Beach sits between both Thomson & co. courses discussed above, geographically speaking. Makes for a pretty stark contrast.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back