News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Renovating Doak 3's that could be 5's
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »
Mike,

Brighton is unsaturated market.  The weekend price isn't big deal, it's how little places can charge during week with seniors.  I also forgot moose ridge. 

Washtenaw is worth $50 to me on the weekend.  I think a lot more people like old school courses and would like to see neglected ones with potential due to land enhanced.  With good population density I think one would do good. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:35:42 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Jud_T

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »
Terry,

You gotta give Cowan credit for pivoting (might even last longer than Trumps latest!);  he actually started this thread from scratch instead of exhuming one from a decade ago to prove his facility with the Search function.  So now he also gets credit for knowing where the New Topic button is. Bully...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:09:48 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_Young

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2016, 09:57:21 PM »
I just read some of this thread and realized I don't know the difference between a Doak 3 and a 5 or even a 7.   I certainly don't know how to renovate from one to the other....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCowan

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »
I just read some of this thread and realized I don't know the difference between a Doak 3 and a 5 or even a 7.   I certainly don't know how to renovate from one to the other....

Mike, of all the people this is right up your alley.  It's those courses everyone on here overlooks.  It's the one's folks don't sell their mother down the river to play.  One's where you find down to earth people that keep coming back. They probably don't realize how much potential the course has till something is complete and finished (just like private club members), but they know it's decent.  It's a way for the then country course that is now in the burbs or the urban course with over planted trees to get their day in the sun.

The course that I posted above was purchased by a guy I used to play golf with every now and again at the track I grew up at.  I don't know if he would ever invest more money, but he is sitting on a pretty good gem imo.  I'm sure you have some good stories or examples.   

Mike_Young

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »
I guss I understand the courses you are talking about but I don'tknow how much renovation I would do.  I would just hire a good supt and get the best greens I could get and run em thru....I would not fall in love with it...

BCowan

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:23 PM »
Mike,

What's your thoughts on changing mowing lines for adding width?  Tree removal? 

Mike_Young

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »
If it brings you more revenue than it does expense then do it...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »
A good example is Soule Park in Ojai Ca. It was a rather mundane Billy Bell Jr. course. Nice river valley setting. I only played the original once and frankly can't remember a single hole from the original layout. A severe flood wiped the place out and the city decided on a redesign. They selected Gil Hanse for the job. It's now a mini Rustic Canyon; tons of classic strategy wth lots of ground game options. It has fascinating green complexes. Every hole is memorable. The bunkers are awesome looking and are real hazards due to their depth.

The bottom line is the locals hate it because it is now harder, some find it impossible to get out of some of the bunkers. Changes were made, a central bunker was removed and the long par 4 Alps was changed from a par 4 to a par 5. I suspect if anything play is down and the price is still dirt cheap. I know it was Lynn Shackelfords home course for a few years. He could certainly shed some light on the economics of it. Hopefully he will chime in.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:55:19 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

BCowan

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 10:34:45 PM »
If it brings you more revenue than it does expense then do it...

Mike,

That isn't any different of a risk then building a new course, basically gauging risk.  We talk all the time about how profitable a lot of low key golf is.  A course that has high population density seems to me a much better risk then spending 2-3 times more for a new course that is an airplane away.  Do you think that with Golf now in the picture and the race to the bottom that it is riskier then lets say 10 years ago?  Or are we so worried about how quick ROI in the instant gratification age?

Donald Ross i believed talked about developing a long term master plan and I think that was mainly for private clubs.  Do you know of any public's that have a long term master plan that they try to follow? 

Mike_Young

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »
Public golf is a different animal than membership clubs...all about cashflow...

BCowan

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
Mike,

I'm talking about building a new public (destination) public track $6-10 million vs investing $3.5 million in a local track with good land that has potential.  With maint being a highly sought after item by almost every golfer, that modest investment seems like a less riskier one with cash flow or with a small loan over long period of time might be a viable option too.  I see in the long term local public to semi public golf doing well, destination golf slowing down, and private golf tanking.  Just my 2 cents. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:08:18 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Dave Doxey

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
 A $3.5M capital spend (or even $1M) for most clubs is a big bet.  Where will the capital come from?  I've seen surveys that show that the average course has about $350K in the capital improvement fund, and 75% of courses have less than $1.2M.   That means that the spend would need to be funded by taking on debt.  Betting on the renovation significantly increasing rounds played or justifying a rate increase is a big gamble.  Losing that bet could spell the end of the course.

It would seem that a series of smaller investments would reduce the risk.  Do something, and then look at financial impact before doing more.  “Incremental renovation”?  Where would that start?  Tree removal?  Mowing patterns?  Bunker changes?  Green renovations?  Changes to a single hole?

How does a course weigh renovations vs. general conditioning improvements?  I think that the average golf customer is more impacted by conditioning than design.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:21:51 AM by Dave Doxey »

Greg Chambers

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »
Mike,

I'm talking about building a new public (destination) public track $6-10 million vs investing $3.5 million in a local track with good land that has potential.  With maint being a highly sought after item by almost every golfer, that modest investment seems like a less riskier one with cash flow or with a small loan over long period of time might be a viable option too.  I see in the long term local public to semi public golf doing well, destination golf slowing down, and private golf tanking.  Just my 2 cents.

At what point did your budget go from $500k-$1.2mil to $3.5mil?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BCowan

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
A $3.5M capital spend (or even $1M) for most clubs is a big bet.  Where will the capital come from?  I've seen surveys that show that the average course has about $350K in the capital improvement fund, and 75% of courses have less than $1.2M.   That means that the spend would need to be funded by taking on debt.  Betting on the renovation significantly increasing rounds played or justifying a rate increase is a big gamble.  Losing that bet could spell the end of the course.

It would seem that a series of smaller investments would reduce the risk.  Do something, and then look at financial impact before doing more.  “Incremental renovation”?  Where would that start?  Tree removal?  Mowing patterns?  Bunker changes?  Green renovations?  Changes to a single hole?

How does a course weigh renovations vs. general conditioning improvements?  I think that the average golf customer is more impacted by conditioning than design.

Dave,

When you are using average course, is that average public?  all courses?  or all private?   You are presuming that the 1-3 individuals that own the course don't have doe in the bank.  I also would like to talk about financing over 15 years route.  So when fairways get increased 30% and mowing lines moved, 2-5 holes re-routed I don't see many keepers wanting to hand water and asking for a new irrigation system (one can argue more efficient use of water). 

Building a new course is a risk.  Not doing anything to a course over periods of time can be a small risk.  The goal shouldn't be just trying to get more rounds, it should be to acquire more committed golfers, ones that are looking for an interesting course, great pace of play, well conditioned, and great VALUE!  From age 23-32 I didn't play much golf, there wasn't something of good value that was affordable and had that low key club feel to it.  I think there are a group of golfers that possibly just left the game due to lack of good options imo.  They are waiting to come back.

Can you change mowing lines and not replace irrigation system and re-route a few holes?  I agree that average golfer is affected by conditioning, they also like cool land forms and good deal of these courses don't utilize the land forms well IMO.  Plus a traditional advertising campaign would be done to differentiate myself from other public and focus on stuff private courses don't do either.  I have spent a good deal of my own money on traditional advertising so I am familiar with it.   I'd also rent out the clubhouse area to one of better pub/bars owners in the area for the course, let them continue to perfect their craft and have myself make money off F&B through rent.  Dave, what you are failing to take into account is, there are only a few courses in any market that this would be a solid risk. using Average course for this isn't a great barometer imo.  Last but not least, not all shapers and Archies are equal.  Whether customer/member knows architecture or not, they sure notice when they are on a great golden age course that it is special without being able to articulate why they like it.  Most owners don't know where to go, who to hire, what fad not to follow, ect...     

My order of importance
1. Tree removal
2. Mowing lines changed (Can we get by with current irrig?)
3. Adding contour to greens with experienced shaper
4. Re-grassing, working on-site sod farm to ''plug'' new turf
5. Bunker work (adding and removing)

$1 million for new irrigation on a 15 year loan, is $66,666 principal a year for loan or 1,666 new rounds at $40 or 44 new member/season passes at $1500.  I didn't figure in interest.  I also amended OP to include option B for $3.5 reno, hopefully leading to more stories like Common Ground and others mentioned by Alex Miller
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:26:04 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Dave Doxey

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
 Ben,

My capital account balance numbers come from the club benchmarking data and includes all clubs, public and private, that took part in a large survey.  If you believe that more than 25% of all clubs have over $1.2M, then we have a simple disagreement on the numbers.  It's been my experience that clubs simply do not have huge capital reserves.  (Google “golf course capital”, “golf course revenue”, and/or “golf course budget” for some eye-opening numbers.)

Whether the funding comes from taking on debt, or from owners “doe in the bank”, use of money still  costs money, be it interest on a loan or lost opportunity cost from other personal or business funds.  It simply isn't a sound business decision to invest capital without expectations of a good return.

While the goal of getting more “committed golfers” may be a good thing, it really comes down to basic revenue – you need more rounds played, a larger average greens fees, or both.  If it were my business, I'd need to be convinced that revenue would increase sufficiently to offset the cost of the capital (be it a loan or from my own pocket).  I'll let USGA & others worry about “growing the game”...

The point that I was trying to make is that, in this time of financial stress on course owners, we should look for alternatives to big “moon shot” renovations.  These must be creative ways to make course improvements incrementally and afford-ably.  If an owner can be convinced to initially spend $50K per year, rather than $1M - $3.5M shot, what improvements are most likely to increase revenue.  Present the owner not with a $3.5M one-time roll of the dice, but instead a 5 to 10 year plan consisting of incremental spend on improvements that allow him to observe the impact of yearly capital spend on course revenue.

I like your list by importance. Selling that to an owner is easier than a big renewal job.

Can significant architectural improvements be made incrementally over time? (I'm not an architect!)

Am I the only one who doubts that major renovation projects can generate sufficient revenue increases to be justifiable? (Granted that there may be cases – but very few)

Golf course architects are all creative when it comes to design.  It's time to get creative when thinking about how these skills can influence course economics!

Some nits:

A $1M loan for 15 years requires a payment of over $100K per year. (at 6%)

Most course owners can only dream of adding 40+ net new members, or adding 1600 rounds @$40+

F&B as a profit center (with or without a lease-out) is also a dream

BCowan

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
If you believe that more than 25% of all clubs have over $1.2M-   Please provide to me where I said this?  Please don't put words in my mouth.

When you say clubs, you seem to be referring to Private clubs?  If so I am not talking about private clubs, those are train wrecks imo.  If you wanna talk private clubs, the ones that have invested in the GOLF COURSE, have increased their memberships in my area. 

It simply isn't a sound business decision to invest capital without expectations of a good return-  Of course I believe Certain courses in certain markets could have a great return.  Losing money is not an option.  Why would i suggest not having a great return?     

While the goal of getting more “committed golfers” may be a good thing, it really comes down to basic revenue – you need more rounds played, a larger average greens fees, or both.  If it were my business, I'd need to be convinced that revenue would increase sufficiently to offset the cost of the capital (be it a loan or from my own pocket).  I'll let USGA & others worry about “growing the game”...   

First off I hate the growing the game BS, and that isn't done at the top, it starts at public driving ranges with people giving free clinics to kids.  You need to be exact with Revenue you seek.  The more Committed golfers you have, increasing your season pass/memberships (which pay your maint.) the more you can increase public fees. 

The point that I was trying to make is that, in this time of financial stress on course owners, we should look for alternatives to big “moon shot” renovations.  These must be creative ways to make course improvements incrementally and afford-ably.  If an owner can be convinced to initially spend $50K per year, rather than $1M - $3.5M shot, what improvements are most likely to increase revenue.  Present the owner not with a $3.5M one-time roll of the dice, but instead a 5 to 10 year plan consisting of incremental spend on improvements that allow him to observe the impact of yearly capital spend on course revenue.

Private clubs overspend on Renovations, Public courses can get a lot more Bang for their dollar.  Private clubs like to outspend their counterparts, plus they are easy targets to get overcharged.  I worked golf course construction at a high end joint.  Irrigation systems aren't cheap, they have to be replaced every 30-50 years i believe.  I like the incremental improvements idea.  Explain how you are going to change mowing lines with existing Irrigation, tweak greens with irrigation lines in wrong spots on the greens?  The $3.5 M number is the big bang reno.  It would be interesting to see if Common Ground financed the $4 M if they would of made it with the increase in revenue? 

I'm interested in hearing from more ''out of the box'' shapers and Archies about making incremental chances with the Irrigation system being the big ticket item and elephant in the room?!?

Am I the only one who doubts that major renovation projects can generate sufficient revenue increases to be justifiable? (Granted that there may be cases – but very few)

I think that the answer is more due to location, area growing or declining?  Are there just a bunch of 3's and no 5's and 6's.  Is private golf overpriced and not good quality in area?  All those factors are very very important.  Is the land really good and it's just the course that is jacked up. 

Most course owners can only dream of adding 40+ net new members, or adding 1600 rounds @$40+
I'd think you would be surprised if the product was really good and you spent money on advertising, especially advertising a different experience that very few have tapped.  Word tends to travel fast and golfers talk to fellow golfers. 

BS, One Under bar is in Livonia, MI.  I think they lease out the clubhouse from the city Muni golf course.  They kill it. 

A $1M loan for 15 years requires a payment of over $100K per year. (at 6%)

You are correct, my bad.  Have to get more investors  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:28:21 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
I can't wrap my head around this

Truer words were never spoken. 

BCowan

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
Mark,

There have been many great contributions to this thread, please raise your standards

JC Jones

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
Mark,

There have been many great contributions to this thread, please raise your standards

+1 re Mark's standards.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »
Mark,

I'll raise my standards if you raise your IQ.

BCowan

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
Mark,

I'll raise my standards if you raise your IQ.

Doubtful.  I'm more interested in substance Mark then your IQ, which you have very little of.  The elitist frat boys are at it again majoring in Thread jacking... 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »

BS, One Under bar is in Livonia, MI.  I think they lease out the clubhouse from the city Muni golf course.  They kill it. 

I suppose F&B managers are rejoicing after reading your "substantive" response to Dave Doxey's thoughtful post above. 

With you on the scene, I have a hard time understanding how any golf club or golf course could not be "killing it". 

SL_Solow

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
We run a Public Golf Forum at the CDGA every year in Chicago for owners and operators to discuss issues including budgeting, maintenance, renovation f&b etc.  Mike's remarks sound a lot like the comments of many of our operators.  Ben, you might want to drive down.  It's a tough business even for some of the best

BCowan

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

I suppose F&B managers are rejoicing after reading your "substantive" response to Dave Doxey's thoughtful post above. 

With you on the scene, I have a hard time understanding how any golf club or golf course could not be "killing it".

Mark,

I was just at a ball game Sunday with a few keepers.  One was mentioning how their F&B was $85,000 in the red.  Dave Doxey's response to mine saying F&B as a profit center (with or without a lease-out) is also a dream  that nobody can make money in this department is not true.  I provided an example and funny how that it wasn't a high end joint but a clubhouse for a Muni golf course.  GM's have been destroying Private golf for most of them have to much power and out rank the Keeper and the Pro which is out of whack.  They have been diverting money from Golf course improvements IMO and leading memberships into a money hole.  I know this might offend someone, how dare someone speak up. 

Also Dave and I had a nice private message exchange. 

Your last statement might be your best post for the year! 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:30:14 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »
We run a Public Golf Forum at the CDGA every year in Chicago for owners and operators to discuss issues including budgeting, maintenance, renovation f&b etc.  Mike's remarks sound a lot like the comments of many of our operators.  Ben, you might want to drive down.  It's a tough business even for some of the best

Shel,

Thanks for posting.  I know what you are saying.  My father in law used to play in a work golf league in the Chicago area.  They shut it down because people couldn't commit once a week.  Every area is different and has its own unique market.  There is definitely a cultural shift, not for the better.  I do however firmly believe that people are looking for a semi private experience with quick pace of play and a great value.  There are legal questions I have as how things relate with slow play and season passes. 

I might have to drive over.  I'd love for you to share some of the positive ideas that came out of last years gathering without naming courses. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:28:32 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back