News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

I take more notice of this list than any other.  I have limited experience, but have played a few ....... some comments
1. I do wonder why Strantz's True Blue is ahead of Tobacco Road and that Caledonia Golf & Fish is as far up the list as it is.
2. I really like the Cascades a whole lot, but should it be No. 26.?
3. Why is Pine Needles ahead of Mid Pines?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

Re: Golf Magazine's Top 100 You Can Play - comments, critiques, debates?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »
What's to debate?  It's just another list with a bunch of rankings and no justification for any of them.  And they really don't even say who does the voting ... as opposed to the World Top 100 where at least they tell you whose opinion you are reading.

There are no actual answers to any of the questions you posed, apart from:  the committee's votes came out this way.  For example, Pine Needles is probably ahead of Mid Pines because that's the way it was years ago, and not many of their panelists have seen the revised Mid Pines.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:48 PM »
I'll question #9-Harbor Town, among the top 10.

Is Forest Dunes old course good enought to be #21?

Is Taconic rightfully on this list? I don't believe you can just walk up and play it.

Too many courses out west that I haven't heard of, much less played. I'd like to see Butterfield Trail, in El Paso, receive consideration for this list.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »

Is Taconic rightfully on this list? I don't believe you can just walk up and play it.

Too many courses out west that I haven't heard of, much less played. I'd like to see Butterfield Trail, in El Paso, receive consideration for this list.

Forest Dunes is well deserving on its place. The Loop is even better and makes that a really attractive destination now.
Mr Hurricane

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
It looks like a pretty solid list to me.  I've played 35 of the courses on that list, and would very gladly return to all but one of those.  There is not a single course on the list that I haven't heard of, and the vast majority I have heard great things about.  Why debate this course over that course.  Whatever the methodology, it is imperfect.

Also - Anyone can book tee times on Taconic's website.  That seems pretty accessible.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »

Forest Dunes is well deserving on its place. The Loop is even better and makes that a really attractive destination now.

I disagree, I thought original FD course was extremely overrated in it's current form.  It could be much improved with a chainsaw, turning off the irrigation, and removing native shit and planting fescue where one can find a ball.  It's a 6 at best in its current form. 

Andy Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
Agree with Ben, especially on the back 9 12 & 13 could be really good holes except for the trees. 14 is brutal for an average player, blind tee shot, blind second shot to the back left pin.

I think it gets rated so highly because of the conditioning which is a shame but the easiest way to judge a course for a golfer who doesn't have an understanding for architectural values.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
Most courses could do with some tree removal. FD was pretty firm when I played it in '14. I'm not the straightest driver and had no problem with blind shots or trees. I would rather play there than Harbortown too. And fescue would be great too. Prairie Club needs to look at fescue as opposed to their ball eating native areas.
Mr Hurricane

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
I'd rather play the Links at Lawsonia than all but a handful of these courses...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
Agree with Ben, especially on the back 9 12 & 13 could be really good holes except for the trees. 14 is brutal for an average player, blind tee shot, blind second shot to the back left pin.

If you are talking about Forest Dunes, you are not remembering the course correctly.  The 14th is a relatively flat, long par-4, as I remember it.  Maybe you're thinking of the par-5 after that, with the green in a hollow?  That is actually Weiskopf's favorite hole on the course.

The short par-4 13th is also a good hole, although they could lose one or two trees.

Andy Johnson

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »

I played it last week, its flat, but because of the fescue growth (I played the back tee) all i could see is the top lip of the right bunker.  The second shot is fine if the pin is right, but with the left pin I played, the cattails then created a blind shot even from the right edge of the fairway. Both would be fixed with trimming but as it played too difficult for the average player.

If you are talking about Forest Dunes, you are not remembering the course correctly.  The 14th is a relatively flat, long par-4, as I remember it.  Maybe you're thinking of the par-5 after that, with the green in a hollow?  That is actually Weiskopf's favorite hole on the course.

The short par-4 13th is also a good hole, although they could lose one or two trees.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
I'd rather play the Links at Lawsonia than all but a handful of these courses...

I just saw the entire list. Shocked that Lawsonia is so far down.
Mr Hurricane

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
Any list that includes the Links at Lighthouse Sound is dubious.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
When are these magazines going to stop protecting the privates that anyone can play?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »
When are these magazines going to stop protecting the privates that anyone can play?

Protecting them?  They would be happy do a whole separate list for them, if they'd just agree to advertise.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »

Protecting them?  They would be happy do a whole separate list for them, if they'd just agree to advertise.

A better question might be who needs who more?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
I started this thread as a reaction  to my own modest golf destination experiences in the Virginia - North Carolina area.  For me it is very informational, not from the point of view of which course is ranked above the other, but for what are courses somewhat nearby that I might be able to go play.

What I learned from this list is Linville, mountain North Carolina Ross, north of Ashville can be played by someone like myself.
Has anyone played that course?  Is it recommended?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »

I haven't seen the list but agree that Lighthouse sound is only average at best. It is on a wonderful site on the Assawoman Bay but has to many below average holes to qualify for anything.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:34:53 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »
I started this thread as a reaction  to my own modest golf destination experiences in the Virginia - North Carolina area.  For me it is very informational, not from the point of view of which course is ranked above the other, but for what are courses somewhat nearby that I might be able to go play.

What I learned from this list is Linville, mountain North Carolina Ross, north of Ashville can be played by someone like myself.

Carl, I think you have to stay at the Eseeola Lodge to play. It is a pretty special lodge but pretty expensive. I like the course and it is on some wonderful terrain. It certainly worth a trip.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 11:42:28 PM »

They gave double points for holes you get to see twice.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
I liked True Blue waaaaaaay more than Caledonia.

Spanish Bay at 47 is absurd.

Sunday River at 92 is even more absurd ... I hate that course. Just in New England, The Ranch, Belgrade, Newport National, Mount Washington, and Red Tail are all significantly better than Sunday River. In fact, I could probably list 20 courses in New England that are more fun to play than Sunday River.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »

Carl, Linville Golf Club is certainly worth the visit. As noted by Tommy a stay at the Lodge may be required but not 100% sure on that. Perhaps our resident Grandfather member would have you out as well and make for a rather special weekend. 

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the list?
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »

You are saying that The Loop deserves an immediate Top-20 spot?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »
...the Assawoman Bay...

YES! I am happier today than ever before
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back