News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Interesting. How is the Woodbridge course?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Some excellent holes. Check out the aerial. Cluster of greens up near the clubhouse are cool. Town looked into selling some of the land and keeping holes near the clubhouse for a short course, if I remember correctly.

Jeff Loh

Better than Trump ;D

Sam Kestin

I absolutely loved the course at Yale. Hope this project works out and makes the course what it could be--and makes it more accessible to the general public.

Ronald Montesano

Hope this project fails. Yale can be accessed with a little due diligence. Why must big business run everything? Unless Yale U is looking to jettison the property (which they use for golf, X-C and other stuff, I imagine) this is a sad statement of our evolving world.

I wish that I were a social fixture. Is that like a lamp or a faucet?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Charlie_Bell

I just wanted to offer thanks for including in your article the information about the powerful opposition to Betts' previous project.  I live about 10 miles from the failed Yale Farm project (not to be confused with the current one, 100 miles south), and locals opposed it with great passion.  Although I would have been happy to work there in my retirement, I'm happier with the thought that the gorgeous property remain unspoiled by multi-million dollar mansions and other man-shaped features.  Even if those features included world-class greens... 

Anthony Butler

Next!

Jud_T

This is ridiculous.  The course at Yale is primarily for the benefit of students, faculty and alumni and should remain so.  The school has a $25BB endowment and clearly doesn't need this guy's cash or clientele.  If they wanted to up the maintenance/restoration budget it would be a rounding error on the school's budget.  I'd be gobsmacked if this happened. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

Sounds like an old union busting tactic.

Paul Jones

Sounds like an old union busting tactic.

John,

What is an old union busting tactic?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kavanaugh

From what I understand Yale is maintained by a union staff. I can't see a lease honoring the contract. It's a common tactic in the coal industry.

Mike Sweeney

From what I understand Yale is maintained by a union staff. I can't see a lease honoring the contract. It's a common tactic in the coal industry.

You do understand that Yale is in NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT !!

I have no real insight as a longtime non-Yale member. While I would be surprised to see this go through, I was also surprised when the Yale Athletic Department signed a deal with Under Armour this year. People like money:

Apparel deal is said to be worth $16.5 million over 10 years

More per year than Nike pays Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa State

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-12/why-under-armour-is-paying-big-ten-money-to-sponsor-yale-sports
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:01:39 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jim_Kennedy

Doesn't the property have gift restrictions on it?

I'm guessing that just the taxes on the property, once developed, would push the cost of a round well over the $200.00 mark, never mind another hundred or two for the hotel, staff, restoration, increased maintenance budget, etc. - $400.00.   :o
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:05:23 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

SPDB

I think its interesting that negotiation of a lease with Yale is not cited as one of the conditions to the project, which may suggest that he's got Yale's preliminary buy-in or he's confident that he can get it. Given that Betts is a senior fellow of the Yale Corporation, the howls of conflicts of interest will be deafening.

Nigel Islam

Hope this project fails. Yale can be accessed with a little due diligence. Why must big business run everything? Unless Yale U is looking to jettison the property (which they use for golf, X-C and other stuff, I imagine) this is a sad statement of our evolving world.

I wish that I were a social fixture. Is that like a lamp or a faucet?

Well said

Tim Martin

This will never happen. Mark it down!

Jon Cavalier

The land for the course was donated by Ray Tompkins widow to "stand as a memorial for her husband and to be used for encouraging the outdoor sports among the Yale undergraduates."

While it's unlikely that the course is encumbered with formal gift restrictions (or that any such restrictions would work to legally bar the project), it would seem that Yale leasing the land to a private developer in this way would at least be an affront to the spirit of the gift, particularly when Yale is not in dire need of the extra cash.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jud_T

:-X
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:21:49 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

My one time at Yale, I was with three members of the elite that run the world. They moved like scared teenagers from the 18th green to the club house, at precisely 5:57 pm, to get the last 8 beers of the day. When that union shuts down, it shuts down.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

My one time at Yale, I was with three members of the elite that run the world. They moved like scared teenagers from the 18th green to the club house, at precisely 5:57 pm, to get the last 8 beers of the day. When that union shuts down, it shuts down.

Yale Dining has stayed open late for many GCA outings when requested upfront. At other times when they close, we have done the college style tailgate in the parking lot, which is really fun. It may be painful for Mike Whitaker to read this, but they have a pulled pork bbq style sandwich this season that is better than anything I had in South Carolina :)

Greenskeeper Scott Ramsey negotiated many adjustments with the union over the years. I am sure it was challenging at times but the place is in a much better place (not perfect) with Scott.

I have played with a Autistic son and father (his son, not mine) at Yale with two "Neuro-typical" players at prime time and everyone had a great time. I will only take my Autistic son late in the season, late in the day, and I have had members seek me out to play with us because they had Special Needs in their family.

Proposals often start with high expectations and end up somewhere else. This is probably my last season at Yale as a member as we are purchasing property in Hudson, NY. I really hope the unique features on and off the course at Yale remain intact. It is a great course and a better place as it sits today.

Fairways and greens.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:06:36 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Stephen Pellegrino

Does the prospect of restoring Yale (which has been at/near the top of the unofficial list of courses most in need of thoughtful restoration and maintenance) mollify the fears of private commercialization? Certainly the restoration of the 3rd hole alone would be a important accomplishment - bringing back a lost note in an architecturally significant American masterpiece.

John Kavanaugh

The developer declaring that both courses would be World top 100 is enough to wish it not to happen.

Jud_T

Does the prospect of restoring Yale (which has been at/near the top of the unofficial list of courses most in need of thoughtful restoration and maintenance) mollify the fears of private commercialization?

In a word?  NO

Tim Martin

Does the prospect of restoring Yale (which has been at/near the top of the unofficial list of courses most in need of thoughtful restoration and maintenance) mollify the fears of private commercialization?

In a word?  NO

+1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back