News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Nematodes any real life solutions out there
« on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:50 AM »
 ???

Anybody had em , what's the deal ??

David Davis

Re: Nematodes any real life solutions out there
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:33:25 AM »
Archie,

Have had issues with them yes. I'm certainly no expert in this area but the problem for us was with the greens and the root system for the grass. It seems they either eat or impede the healthy growth of the route system thus making the turf very fragile. Basically it seems to get tougher and tougher to keep the quality of the greens really high and do to the fragile root system they are much more susceptible to disease and even weather related issues.

We did many many tests on them and never really came up with a solution that the club would act on. it can be a result of a organic build up in the ground after many years, sometimes chemicals can help (which we can't use here) and sometimes greens even need to be rebuilt. I believe it could also be a byproduct of not having enough light, air and nutrients to your greens, so if you have a tree issue you could also have a nematode issue.

I could also be wrong in all or in part but hopefully someone with a little more knowledge than I will chime in.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Donnie Beck

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
We have very high Nematode counts. Since Nemacure is no longer available we had very good success establishing the best root system we can. I would highly recommend a verti-drain or similar deep tine aeifier. We have aerified 5 times since last September a tradition 5/8" hollow core at 4 1/2" in September. Vertidrain with 3/4" solid to 14" in November and 3/8" solid on quad blocks to 6" three times in march and april. We still have very high counts but no longer seeing effects on the surface with the extra root growth.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:08:41 PM by Donnie Beck »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
Indemnify just received it's Federal pass and should be available this fall.

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/bayer-indemnify-epa-registration/
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
Kyle H. -

That is good news. Nematodes have been a serious problem for courses (especially courses with a lot of poa in their greens) in the SF Bay Area & along the Northern California coast for years.

DT

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
Mmmmm, a 2° benzamide is the active ingredient in Indemnify:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluopyram

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
Donnie,

Thanks for a non-chemical attempt. Are any Universities or consulting agronomists advocating your method?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ben Lovett

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
Colin Fleming is the leading nematode expert in Europe and is working with a garlic based formula

http://media.pitchcare.com/O/PAzPqMY3SSsGFmqMFYB8.pdf

Donnie Beck

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Donnie,

Thanks for a non-chemical attempt. Are any Universities or consulting agronomists advocating your method?

Joe,

Not really. After trying several alternative chemicals with no results I didn't have much choice other than to grow the best roots possible. Thatch isn't really an issue here anymore so I can get away with using solid tines. I like to get as many holes as possible as I find the roots follow the channels. Like I said our nematode numbers are still high but with the extra roots we are no longer seeing any damage at the surface.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:05:41 PM by Donnie Beck »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »
Donnie B. -

Where is your course located? How much poa is in your greens?

DT

Donnie Beck

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
Donnie B. -

Where is your course located? How much poa is in your greens?

DT

Fishers Island NY 75% poa

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
At Murrayfield the SRU dealt with Nematodes by replacing the entire pitch, didn't they?

Nathan Gingrich

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:34 PM »
Indemnify seems to be the best possible option and should be out by the early fall. South Florida is the nations capital for nematodes and I have spoken with colleagues who have been apart of test study's who have raved about its efficacy.  Another massive benefit is there is no re-entry restrictions attached to the product unlike its predecessors. Other products have come out recently like Nimitz from qualipro but indemnify seems to present the most promise. Some biologicals that have been used down here with varying levels of success include geraniol which is an extract from geraniums and crab meal neither of which actually kill nematodes but claim to make them uncomfortable. Hope this helps.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »
Donnie,

Joe,

Not really. After trying several alternative chemicals with no results I didn't have much choice other than to grow the best roots possible. Thatch isn't really an issue here anymore so I can get away with using solid tines. I like to get as many holes as possible as I find the roots follow the channels. Like I said our nematode numbers are still high but with the extra roots we are no longer seeing any damage at the surface.

If there was a thumbs up on GCA, I'd give it for this response.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

PGertner

Re: Nematodes any real life solutions out there New
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »
There are two new materials to help us with nematodes. Nimitz from Quali-Pro and Indemnify from Bayer.

I have no info on Indemnify as yet.

The 2nd product is Nimitz, from Quali-Pro....the generic chemical guys. Caution warning label. This is their new
chemistry. 'tState registrations are on going. Legal here in Rhode Island,
New Jersey, but not yet in MA, CT, or NY (of course)

According to the rep I spoke with, guys in FL are
having success.

I have no interest with any chemical manufacturer, I'm just a lowly grass grower trying to help guys grow grass. 

Patrick Gertner
Potowomut Golf Club
East Greenwich, RI 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:37:54 AM by PGertner »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
Looks like the active ingredient in Nimitz is fluensulfone:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048357514000212
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back