News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Buck

Re: Walking Golfers Society Speaks
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
As I'm moving up my 40's, the allure of a pull cart is certainly starting to appeal to me.  To this point, I've avoided because I hate the inconvenience of not being able to walk over the green with my clubs as I do carrying.

I'm sure there is also some embedded stigma of the pull cart as I remember people getting made fun of relentlessly in my youth.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »
No, I want you to buy a ticket to the mantinee showing of BFG and eat a bucket of popcorn.

JJShanley

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
I "caddied" for my father who uses a Powakaddy trolley.  I offered to carry using my bag, but he wanted the trolley.  I much prefer carrying because I can walk across the green with my bag.  I imagine I'll switch to a clicgear at some point, but I find carrying more efficient. 

Plus I need to get rid of this gut I've developed thanks to the excellent craft brewers in the midwest.

BHoover

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »
No, I want you to buy a ticket to the mantinee showing of BFG and eat a bucket of popcorn.

Done

SL_Solow

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
I only ride when required and then "under protest".  I have happily used pull carts and in a prior life, carried.  One of the issues at private clubs in the Chicago area is our desire to maintain a strong caddy program.  Most clubs do not receive any caddy revenue.  But we prohibit carrying and pull cart usage to make certain that our caddy programs survive.  this is a philosophical choice made by each club

similarly, while I would prefer that everyone walk, I support the right of each individual to choose and that of each club/course to make its own rules.  I dislike cart paths and try to limit them at my club but each facility has to find its own way, particularly in a tough economic environment.  I applaud the WGS for its efforts to make walking more readily accessible but we should let clubs/individuals make their own choices.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »
Our club recently allowed trolleys (one course about a year+ ago and the 2nd within the past 6 months) and i have to say it's been a YUGE relief on my back. The Lake course is a fairly stout walk and I have always walked a carried my bag, and recently would play with 7 clubs (which is more of an indictment of the course set-up than my physical ability to carry a full bag... but that's a different conversation). The move to the trolley has been awesome... kudos to the club for finally coming around to letting the membership use them. i can't believe it when i see able-bodied folks driving a cart when they can walk and push.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »
Lose the gut through walking? http://www.vox.com/2016/6/29/12051520/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories-video

I wouldn't think that a cart would damage a green. After all, mowers weigh way more than push carts (or guys with sacks on their shoulders) and they mow the greens nearly every day. Bandon shows you can push a cart over a green w/o concern.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

SL_Solow

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »
Ronald;  The crew has a good idea of how to walk and where to walk.  Not always true for players.  Better safe than sorry.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
Lose the gut through walking? http://www.vox.com/2016/6/29/12051520/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories-video

I wouldn't think that a cart would damage a green. After all, mowers weigh way more than push carts (or guys with sacks on their shoulders) and they mow the greens nearly every day. Bandon shows you can push a cart over a green w/o concern.

I'm not sure about that study, but as someone who exercises three days a week year round, but also walks 3 - 4 18 hole rounds a week from May - September, I always weigh about 10 lbs less by the end of the summer.

BCowan

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
Shel,

Thank you for the kind words.

Wayne,

Great news, thanks for sharing. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
Corrected below.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:19:22 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »

I'm not sure about that study, but as someone who exercises three days a week year round, but also walks 3 - 4 18 hole rounds a week from May - September, I always weigh about 10 lbs less by the end of the summer.

10 pounds lighter over five months equals 2 pounds a month, which is far less than the figures offered by the study. I think you have to check your diet, mate!!  ;) ;) ;)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 06:24:24 AM »
So I played Marine Memorial Golf Course at Camp Pendleton, CA today and I used my MapMyRun app to log the course:

My estimate is that you actually "get" 20-30% of the calories burn in the app, thus the 1972 calories burned is more like 600 extra calories that can be consumed over my daily allotment of 2200 calories. So today, my breakeven is 2800 calories. That is my estimate.

I played with a 28 year old Marine who used a buggy. He just got the buggy this Spring and it was/is much easier on his back. Considering that he has done tours of Afghanistan and Iraq, it did not seem appropriate to jazz him about pushing his buggy while his 53 year old partner carried a bag:

Semper Fi

Am I the only guy who can't see Mike Sweeney's images? They come up as huge grey/white circles with a "-" in the middle.

If you are both Marines, then you can give each other loads of crap. I thank both of you for your service.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Craig Disher

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »

Am I the only guy who can't see Mike Sweeney's images? They come up as huge grey/white circles with a "-" in the middle.

If you are both Marines, then you can give each other loads of crap. I thank both of you for your service.

Nope. You're not the only one. I see the same - using Firefox.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
I think Mr. Sweeney is trying to link to some photos from a Google account of his, which apparently Google doesn't allow.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Andrew Buck

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »

10 pounds lighter over five months equals 2 pounds a month, which is far less than the figures offered by the study. I think you have to check your diet, mate!!  ;) ;) ;)

The conclusion that diet is MORE important than exercise on weight is self-evident to anyone who has tried to manage weight with exercise along. 

The conclusion that additional exercise can help with those last pounds is also self-evident to anyone who has lived both the active and sedentary lifestyle. 

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
Ron, Thanks for interview. I enjoy your blog. I find the walking golfer events refreshing and enjoy getting together with like minded folks. Ben has done a great job organizing events at clubs that promote / encourage walking and are aligned with the spirit of the game.

I wonder if adding fitness metrics to each course walker ranking would help increase interest. Golf seems to be losing millennials to cycling, cross fit, paddle boarding, etc. As an example; TWGS could add a reporting section where walking golfers download their fitness metrics (Fitbit) for each round walked to the website. Over time, a fitness repository would be built by course that would show miles walked, calories burned, steps, etc. Just an idea!
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
I echo Ryan's comments about The Walking Golfer Society events that I have attended that Ben has put together. I always have a great time and meet great people.

Ron, thanks for posting the interview!

Philip Hensley

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Ron, Thanks for interview. I enjoy your blog. I find the walking golfer events refreshing and enjoy getting together with like minded folks. Ben has done a great job organizing events at clubs that promote / encourage walking and are aligned with the spirit of the game.

Ditto that. I went to my first event less than 2 years ago and since then my enjoyment of the game has never been higher. From meeting new people, playing great courses, and just the  general enjoyment of  being on the course and walking. If others want to cartball that's fine but I feel like they will never fully enjoy the game as much as they could.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 12:07:34 AM »

I wonder if adding fitness metrics to each course walker ranking would help increase interest. Golf seems to be losing millennials to cycling, cross fit, paddle boarding, etc. As an example; TWGS could add a reporting section where walking golfers download their fitness metrics (Fitbit) for each round walked to the website. Over time, a fitness repository would be built by course that would show miles walked, calories burned, steps, etc. Just an idea!

Agreed.

I am on the road so my post above seems to be fowled up, but that was my intent.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

MCirba

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
I am so very looking forward to my first Walking Golfers Society event next month, and can't wait to finally meet some of you in person.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »

Now corrected.

I would love to see Walking Golfers Society take the next step towards a database of walking information. After a week of vacation meals, walking 36 holes and a surfing for 3 days did NOT balance out and I gained 3 pounds.

Back to the gym, goodby to red wine, ice cream and bread (for now).

So I played Marine Memorial Golf Course at Camp Pendleton, CA today and I used my MapMyRun app to log the course:

My estimate is that you actually "get" 20-30% of the calories burn in the app, thus the 1972 calories burned is more like 600 extra calories that can be consumed over my daily allotment of 2200 calories. So today, my breakeven is 2800 calories. That is my estimate.

I played with a 28 year old Marine who used a buggy. He just got the buggy this Spring and it was/is much easier on his back. Considering that he has done tours of Afghanistan and Iraq, it did not seem appropriate to jazz him about pushing his buggy while his 53 year old partner carried a bag:

Semper Fi

BCowan

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 09:02:28 PM »
I am so very looking forward to my first Walking Golfers Society event next month, and can't wait to finally meet some of you in person.

We can't wait to meet you.  So excited I might order a Cheesesteak from Philly online! 

http://www.jimssouthstreet.com/shipping/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:41:18 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

MCirba

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
Jim's are decent, Ben.   Not my favorite but certainly a cut above Pat's and Genos, which are both hugely overrated but serve the tourist trade.

On the Doak Scale, Pat's and Genos are 2 or 3 at best, while Jim's is about a 5.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back