News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Olympic Golf
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
Gents, does any one on here have any "inside info" on the course and how it's turned out? I've seen the fly overs on the golf channel but it's hard to get a real sense of how the course will play.....apparently it will be the star of the show in Rio thanks to many of the top players not going......i only watched Rory on Feherty Monday night who couldn't wait to represent his country - pull out this morning. Let's hope the course is AMAZING :)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jay Mickle

Re: Olympic Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »
Interested in seeing the course but as with other pro sports ie. basketball, tennis, etc I have little interest in the competition.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »
The inside info is: It's really good.

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
Breaking Olympic gold news:. Rory says no, due to Zika.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
Is it a "links" course? Faux links? neither?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Blake Conant

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
Interested in seeing the course but as with other pro sports ie. basketball, tennis, etc I have little interest in the competition.

Gotta disagree with you there.  The competition is why the course was built.  I want to see how players work around the place. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »

Gotta disagree with you there.  The competition is why the course was built.  I want to see how players work around the place.

Oh yea it's gonna be great watching players ask for relief from mosquitoes. It is perfectly reasonable not to expect a player to go anywhere near standing water, hazard or not. The rules do not even require a player to retrieve his ball in a dangerous situation.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »
The way it's going there isn't going to be any "top" players there anyway which seems as shame as no one will care to watch and the course won't be showcased after a lot of work put in by Hanse and his crew.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »
I really wish they would have used a format similar to the NCAA championships (on a smaller scale).  Something like 54 ho.  les to identify individual champion and the low 4 teams, then those 4 play a bracket of match play

Blake Conant

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
The way it's going there isn't going to be any "top" players there anyway which seems as shame as no one will care to watch and the course won't be showcased after a lot of work put in by Hanse and his crew.

To tell you the truth, I'm more looking forward to the women playing the course rather than the men.  I can relate to their game a bit more, there's a deep field, and I'm interested to see how they navigate around the place.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »
Gents, does any one on here have any "inside info" on the course and how it's turned out? I've seen the fly overs on the golf channel but it's hard to get a real sense of how the course will play.....apparently it will be the star of the show in Rio thanks to many of the top players not going......i only watched Rory on Feherty Monday night who couldn't wait to represent his country - pull out this morning. Let's hope the course is AMAZING :)
Rory always had an issue on deciding which is his country.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
Yes he did and he chose Ireland. My best guess would be that Rickie and the boys have a weekend in Bakers Bay organized and Rory didn't want to miss this time ;D

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »
It is a shame as Ireland hasn't won that many Olympic medals (28 in total, 9 gold - 3 of which belong to swimmer Michelle Smith and 16 of the medals have come in boxing) and their chances will not be as good without Rory, although they still have G-Mac and Lowry,assuming they go.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »
They should have made this an amateur event, I'm sure many top amateurs would have loved to play in it. To the pro's all it does is mess up their routine between majors.

JJShanley

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »
I wonder if the Ryder Cup would ever move back to odd-numbered years to ease the late-summer/early-fall schedule.  I suppose that wouldn't matter if the IOC decides that golf's last hurrah will take place in Tokyo.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
They should have made this an amateur event, I'm sure many top amateurs would have loved to play in it. To the pro's all it does is mess up their routine between majors.

+1

Joey Chase

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 03:22:01 PM »
Based on very direct information, the golf course is among the most prepared of all of the venues for the games.  As much as I would have liked an amateur event, the bottom line is what counts, unfortunately.  What an amazing amateur event it could've been.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »
Yes he did and he chose Ireland. My best guess would be that Rickie and the boys have a weekend in Bakers Bay organized and Rory didn't want to miss this time ;D

There is potential to have more active Zika infected mosquitoes in Bakers Bay in August than Rio.

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 06:28:26 PM »
How long are the days in winter in Rio?

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »
Amazing how dangerous Zika seems after a missed cut.......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:33 PM »
It would have been a great amateur event and should be in the future. 

You can't blame any of the pros for not wanting to deal with it.  At the end of their career it will not be the equivalent of a Open or PGA Championship win...not even close...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

MClutterbuck

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
Amazing how dangerous Zika seems after a missed cut.......

You know what will be dangerous? Rory will run out of places to play a good part of the year soon.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
It isn't and never will be an amateur event. The likelihood of the IOC accepting golf into the Games based on the medals being contested by people no-one has ever heard of is nil. Golf is in on trial for two Olympiads. If the players don't embrace it, it will then be out.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »

Maybe he will lead the effort for a Brexit from Ireland?!?   :-X
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
It isn't and never will be an amateur event. The likelihood of the IOC accepting golf into the Games based on the medals being contested by people no-one has ever heard of is nil. Golf is in on trial for two Olympiads. If the players don't embrace it, it will then be out.
So: an organization supposedly dedicated to the celebration and promotion of amateur sports won't even consider hosting a golf tournament during its sole and signature event, the Olympics, unless it is populated by professionals, and yet we expect those professionals to take that organization and that tournament and its 'Olympic Gold' seriously? If the IOC so blatantly and obviously operates out of pure self interest, how can it legitimately ask pro golfers to act any differently? If it is the 'real world' the IOC wants to play in, well, they are getting a real world response. The best golfers on the planet get nothing at all from participating in the Olympics, and so they're not going. It is not in the pro golfers' job description nor is it their duty to support amateur sport or to grow the game of golf; supporting amateur sports is, however, the precise and only reason that the IOC and its signature event exists.  It is they who have failed here and betrayed a trust. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:52:21 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back