News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Willy Wonka for the GCA Oompaloompas...
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »
Golf Golden Tickets to sell for $5,000

http://flip.it/asH_G
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jamey Bryan

Re: Willy Wonka for the GCA Oompaloompas...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
Cool concept, unbelievable implementation.  I guess I'm just envious.

Jamey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »
How many courses for $5,000?   If it's one I'm all, oh bullshit.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
Well if there's a market for that, I'll be happy to give a similar tour of The Loop this fall, for $2,500 per head, with all the money going to Midnight Golf.  You guys can even pick the date.

I noticed GOLF DIGEST did not say where the $120,000 [24 people @ $5000 per] is going to go.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
I'm guessing that some goes to the archies, some to Golf Digest, and some...oh, wait, there's none left.

Refutation welcome.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:16 AM »
Well if there's a market for that, I'll be happy to give a similar tour of The Loop this fall, for $2,500 per head, with all the money going to Midnight Golf.  You guys can even pick the date.

I noticed GOLF DIGEST did not say where the $120,000 [24 people @ $5000 per] is going to go.

Tom,

I think you are undervaluing yourself highly here. They are believing they will get 5000 US to meet Tom Fazio and his son. I think you should double the price (10,000 us/pp, oh and add that all guests receive 36 holes, a full rotation on The Loop)

And I'm not kidding. Though I don't have that kind of capital myself so I won't be able to put my money where my mouth is...

They are clearly doing it 100% for profit and I wouldn't doubt for a minute that they fill it at a couple of the venues.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
Wow - I am really curious to see if they fill these up.  Who would have thought there would be enough gca nuts like us who would be willing to pay that much for something related to golf course architecture.  Pat Mucci should have charged a steep admission fee for all the events he hosted that included Bill Coore at Hidden Creek speaking to us and then walking the course or the panel at Baltusrol that included Gil Hanse.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

I noticed GOLF DIGEST did not say where the $120,000 [24 people @ $5000 per] is going to go

I think you should do it and I'm in.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »

Well since they can't sell magazines, and Paula Gretsky's taken, I'm guessing it's going to save their dying business......
It would be really cool to experience any of advertised the walks and talks, sadly such events are nearly always packaged with a lot of expensive "luxury" crap to provide sufficient profit margin and ensure that you were accompanied by nitwits
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 11:19:58 AM »

I think you should do it and I'm in.

Okay, that's one.  If we get to three, or a maximum of seven, then I will make plans for this either in September, or next June.  If not, I will invite you to play in the Renaissance Cup, which is a better Golden Ticket anyway -- because you get to hang out with a bunch of cool people instead of just me  ;) 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
At least it's a one off fee.  Most people who find themselves on these tours pay more and then get another bill next month for dues.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
If anyone wants a tour of The Village Club, I'll do it for free ;D .. A post walk beer and feedback is suggested.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
If anyone wants a tour of The Village Club, I'll do it for free ;D .. A post walk beer and feedback is suggested.

Pencil me in for September 7th. Include a performance by The Village People and I'll buy you two beers.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »

You might be getting me and Kevin Lynch, sooner rather than later. We're heading east in August.

RM
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »

All are welcome! You guys know where to find me.

And Joe - I have a feeling you are probably down for 2 beers even without a song and dance routine!... If you want to watch a loser do the YMCA in NY, go to Yankee Stadium, they do it every game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back