News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

Open letter to the USGA
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »
Dear USGA,

As stewards of the game, you have dropped the ball - literally.  Watching Oakmont’s 8th hole (par 3) play to the tune of 300 yards and the 12th at 684 yards, is the epitome of head-in-the-sand thinking and leadership that has tarnished the reputation of what should be the most respected organization in golf. 

I had the great opportunity and privilege to play Pinehurst #2 last week.  The course is as thorough an examination as any in the world, but looking back on the new(er) ‘championship’ tees really turned my stomach.  Adding anything more than what Donald Ross envisioned to a national treasure such as #2 is a travesty.

You have essentially allowed the club and cart manufacturers to necessitate the disfigurement of some of the greatest courses to the point (via added length) that they are no longer a test for the greatest golfers without building new garish tee boxes.  The point has been made many times, by many people smarter than me that one would never think to add 150 feet to the outfield at Fenway park, a foot to the net at Wimbledon, or push the goal posts at Soldiers Field back another 10 yards because the powers that be allowed the ball to be so drastically changed. 

It is nauseating to see par 5’s be turned into par 4’s due to the ball to traveling  unfettered distances for too many years.  Max Behr pointed out the problem in 1920’s (!).  Jack Nicklaus has talked about the ball problem for some twenty years, yet you keep your blinders on.

We have too many tee boxes on too many golf courses.  The tee to green walks have turned into unrecognizable cart rides.  Additional yardage has added both cost and time to a round of golf, to the point that a foursome of low handicappers have a hard time completing a round in under 4 hours.

If the leadership in your organization had a modicum of respect, they would apologize to the golf community for being complicit in the changes made to many of the great courses built before 1950. 

As an architectural enthusiast, I tire of hearing how courses have become ‘too short’. Enough is enough.

The benefits of a ball rollback would far outweigh the one or two (faux) negatives.    Simply put: More people would play the game if the time and cost weren’t such a heavy burden.

I believe the public at large would be happy to play a Ross or a Raynor exactly as it were intended vs. a stretched version where the lines, bunkering, and angles were compromised due the modern ball. 

Leaders lead.  Hoping you will.

Sincerely,

Joe Sponcia
Knoxville, TN
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Mike_Clayton

Re: Open letter to the USGA
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
Sadly,Joe, the only people with the power to restore the architectural intent of the great courses are the only ones who refuse to see the problem. Aside, that is from the conflicted (the manufacturers and some professional players) and those who don't care about the good of the game.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
Mr. Sponcia,

You are right at some level  ............ but for the critique of that viewpoint today.
1. there are more and better courses with more  access
2. better agronomic conditioning today
3. better equipment (for us weekenders)
4. etc etc.

We all benefit from this.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
Mr. Sponcia,

I don't follow you reasoning.

You are right at some level  ............ but for the critique of that viewpoint today.

How do you know this?
Part of access is cost. More land for courses means more cost. How is that more access?

What conditioning are advocating is better for us? Shorter grass? The average golfer would appreciate the ball sitting up a bit, and probably could do without the shorter grass.

The USGA is a weekender equipment supplier?
4. etc etc.

Usually written when one cannot think of additional things to write.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
Mr. Sponcia,

4. etc etc.

What does any of this have to do with the USGA and R&A failing to address a golf ball that has been going way too far for at least 15 years if not many decades?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »
If Haskell balls and steel shafts and had never been invented the game of golf would be about as popular as Vertical Soccer. 

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:29 PM »
Bifurcation is the answer. I'd like to see my driver used by the flat bellies and take it deep.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »
Is there a Raynor that the public can access?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

hhuffines

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 11:33:47 PM »
I still can't get over how poorly the USGA President represented the organization during the trophy ceremony.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 11:48:38 PM »
I still can't get over how poorly the USGA President represented the organization during the trophy ceremony.

I thought she represented the organization perfectly
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Josh Stevens

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:09 AM »
IS this the event we have all been hoping for?  The much anticipated total screw up that finally allows Augusta to step out and just bring in its own ball?

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:49 AM »
If Haskell balls and steel shafts and had never been invented the game of golf would be about as popular as Vertical Soccer.

Yeah, that period between 1450 and 1930 seemed a real downer for golf. I wonder how it ever emerged from such darkness.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

Yeah, that period between 1450 and 1930 seemed a real downer for golf. I wonder how it ever emerged from such darkness.

Use your head before your fingers. Golf would have never risen to its present day popularity without advances in equipment, if for no other reason than the ability to mass produce it. Some of it made the playing of the game a bit easier and more fun.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:41:33 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Felton

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »

I can't stop laughing at this comment. Was there a single sentence in her speech that actually made neat grammatical sense? I think not.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »

Greenbrier

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

I can't stop laughing at this comment. Was there a single sentence in her speech that actually made neat grammatical sense? I think not.

My son, watching only due to Father's day obligation, looked at me in disbelief and said (among numerous other things)
"that's the President?"
I kept waiting for Judge Smails to come out and defend her
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Felton

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

My son, watching only due to Father's day obligation, looked at me in disbelief and said (among numerous other things)
"that's the President?"

Trying to think of what she said. "Oakmont performed a great venue" was a good one.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »

Savage!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »

Use your head before your fingers. Golf would have never risen to its present day popularity without advances in equipment, if for no other reason than the ability to mass produce it. Some of it made the playing of the game a bit easier and more fun.

When since 1930 has it been necessary for the government to legislate against the military playing golf so that it didn't interfere with their military training?
;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
If I didn't know any better....

The way she was tripping and stammering over her words, she probably started hitting the bottle when things went sideways with the DJ controversy and all...

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
Honestly though...does anyone have any background on her?  Either she was incredibly nervous and clearly isn't an orator, or she had hit the bottle as suggested or perhaps not playing with a full deck.

It was SO bad...I just cringed the entire time and would have felt slightly bad had it not been for the ruling debacle.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »

"that's the President?"

;D ;D ;D

Nice hair, though.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »

"that's the President?"

;D ;D ;D

Nice hair, though.

I kept waiting for Chris Schenkel, grainy video and Love's Theme to start playing...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
Honestly though...does anyone have any background on her?  Either she was incredibly nervous and clearly isn't an orator, or she had hit the bottle as suggested or perhaps not playing with a full deck.

I did not see the speech, so can't comment on that.

If we're talking about the USGA's President, Diana Murphy, she is the wife of former USGA President Reg Murphy.  Her nomination as President, out of the usual order of succession, was perceived as a factional battle within the USGA, and stirred up a lot of feelings among some of the longtime USGA volunteers I've gotten to know over the years.  I don't have much interest in organizational politics, so I've never asked anything about it.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »

Charleston Municipal

The Hotchkiss School

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back