News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Kestin

Trip to Sandwich/Kent, UK--What am I missing?
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »
Sometimes people hate these posts--but I'll gamble and try to seek out the expertise of the group at the risk of getting booed off the stage for a bad topic.

I'm going with a group of eight to Sandwich/Kent, UK from Wednesday to Sunday. We've got the following scheduled:

--Sunningdale (Old)
--Royal St. George's
--Royal Cinque Ports
--Prince's
--Rye

I've probably got room for one or two more rounds in there somewhere. If I am hoping to stay within an hour or so of Sandwich--which course that isn't on the list above is one I should seek out?

I know next to nothing about golf in the UK (having never been over there before)--so I'm hopeful the more internationally well-travelled among the group here can point me towards a golf course that isn't on my radar but should be.

Thanks, guys!

Adam Lawrence

Re: Trip to Sandwich/Kent, UK--What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
Littlestone is the obvious choice
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
The beauty of a links is its changeability. AM vs PM, one day to the next: as conditions change the play of the course can change. Add to that the lack of definition many links express and a solid links doesn't reveal itself in one play. You get more the more you play it. If I were in your shoes I'd play those 2 extra rounds on one of the links already on your list.

(I give this advice to everyone who asks your question and I can count those who follow it on the fingers of no hands, so enjoy Littlestone ! )
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
Based on Mark's answer, my advice might be to have a boozy lunch at Rye and play 36 there. But it depends on whether you're driving...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
Based on Mark's answer, my advice might be to have a boozy lunch at Rye and play 36 there. But it depends on whether you're driving...

The lunch at Rye is not to be missed. Then sit back for an after-lunch drink in the very same seat that Bernard Darwin watched the golf go by in years of old. A truly magical room.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »
Agree with what others have posted, but would add that the lunch at Sandwich (RSG) is pretty stellar, too. Oh, and the showers--do not miss them.

Mark's 36-hole comment is especially astute, as golf in the UK is very often a 36-hole affair. You might consider playing different formats (fourball v. foursomes) in your morning and afternoon rounds. Doing so is not only more faithful to the traditions of the host country/club, but a way to ease the physical burden of a multi-round day (and especially consecutive ones).

Have a great time in a great part of the world to play golf.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:31:14 PM »
Boozy lunch and 36 holes really does sound like just what the doctor ordered...

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Any other helpful hints while I'm over there?

I've done very little of the homework on this trip--so if there is any local knowledge on things I shouldn't miss I would be more than appreciative.

Thanks again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
I would second the idea of repeating a round on the courses you have listed rather than seeking out another course to play. 

On the other hand, there are those who think Sunningdale New is at least as good as Sunningdale Old. Even if it is not, it is a course well worth playing.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
Sam - I am an overseas member at RCPGC, and have played all the courses on your list. I totally agree with Mark's suggestion. Savor the experience of a club or two by spending the day there. AM round, lunch, followed by a PM round will be an experience your group will not soon forget. If you play foursomes in the afternoon (true alternate shot) you will get the full UK links experience. I know it will be tough to talk some of your guys into playing foresomes, but persevere... they will thank you later.

Also... make sure everyone packs a sport coat, tie and dress shirt. Lunch at these clubs require jacket and tie, otherwise you are stuck in the bar with mostly only sandwiches or fish & chips on offer.

Have a great time!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
Boozy lunch and 36 holes really does sound like just what the doctor ordered...

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Any other helpful hints while I'm over there?

I've done very little of the homework on this trip--so if there is any local knowledge on things I shouldn't miss I would be more than appreciative.

Thanks again!

I don't know where you are staying, but a pretty cool place to eat is

http://thediningclub.net/ in Deal. 

You can check out the daily menu online to ascertain if the food suits your tastes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »

Rye is a two ball club, either foursomes or singles. 

Agree about Littlestone, solid links in between Rye and Deal.   Stay at the No. One B&B in Deal and walk to RCP.

The lunch at Rye is not to be missed. Then sit back for an after-lunch drink in the very same seat that Bernard Darwin watched the golf go by in years of old. A truly magical room.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »
Play Sunningdale New, so that you can play the better, but least famous, of the two courses!

Sam Kestin

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
Really appreciate all the helpful hints. The Dining Club in particular sounds pretty cool--thanks to Sean for that piece of advice. Shot it over to the rest of our group and we're going to try to find some time to head over there.

Might try to squeeze in the New course at Sunningdale--but I do think the stay put 36 holes with a little foursomes play mixed in at one of the courses we're already hitting sounds like a truly complete experience.

Given this is a golf trip with mostly men twice my age, this question might be trying to "have my cake and eat it too"...but anyone have any suggestions on a pub in town (Sandwich) that might be suitable for a single guy in his early 30s?

Sounds a few guys on the board here know the area pretty well. Figured this type of question could use a little local intelligence.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:37:55 PM by Sam Kestin »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
The other, not-to-be-underestimated advantage of a proper 36 hole day is that it always (or almost always) represents much better value than the single-round equivalent: indeed, many leading British clubs charged (until recently) the same for a day's golf as for a single round, and the differential is still heavily weighed in favour of (at least) two rounds. In the long British summer evening, the additional or further prospect of '9 after tea', for the truly manic, is worth considering, although looking at your intensive schedule that may be overdoing things. In addition to Sunningdale (New) Prince's has 27 holes anyway, and Rye has the revamped Jubilee Course, parts of which are truly excellent, so there is lots of scope for playing additional loops or mini-circuits, in whatsoever format seems appropriate. And - as we British commenters always say on these advisory streams - never underestimate how long it will take to you get from A to B on the very congested roads of London and the South of England. Have a great trip!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
Good advice on driving time, Richard. In general, I've found it takes double the time we would estimate in the States to travel the same distance in the UK.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
Uncle Bill,

Number One is indeed fabulous accommodations in Deal, but I would NOT want to walk to the course from there!!!  ???

A five quid taxi ride perhaps?

henrye

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
The UK'ers can pipe in but Sunningdale is not in the neighbourhood (Kent).  All the others (including Littlestone are much closer together).  If you are set on Sunningdale (and it is a terrific club), I would suggest a round at Swinley Forrest, which is nearby.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
Uncle Bill,

Number One is indeed fabulous accommodations in Deal, but I would NOT want to walk to the course from there!!!  ???

A five quid taxi ride perhaps?

Never been there, just promoting Chappers' venue!

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 03:06:59 AM »
Sounds a few guys on the board here know the area pretty well. Figured this type of question could use a little local intelligence.

Be careful about multiple 36 hole days with guys in their 60s...it could tucker them out in a hurry especially if you don't get decent weather.  I always figure that an important aspect of a golf trip is dinner with mates.  Make sure dinners aren't rushed or compromised because of trying to cram in too much golf.  Getting up at 6:30 everyday to make 8AM tee times so 36 can be played before dinner can get to be a grind in a real hurry and result in guys falling asleep at dinner  :D ...just ask the Pests.  If you are playing for a trophy perhaps consider the afternoon round extras for those who want more golf. 

Never had an IQ test, but I reckon I fall in the average range. Regardless, if a boozy lunch is on for Rye (perhaps even if not), stay at least one night in town.  Its a very cool place which becomes a real town at night.  Its very easy to split the trip into Littlestone/Rye and Deal/Sandwich/Princes....and in truth its a long drive from Sandwich to Rye.  I assume Sunningdale will be played on a travel day because its well removed from the other courses.  If you are looking for another course for travel reasons consider Walton Heath Old.  Its a good contrast to the more parkland style heath of Sunningdale. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael Felton

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »
Given this is a golf trip with mostly men twice my age, this question might be trying to "have my cake and eat it too"...but anyone have any suggestions on a pub in town (Sandwich) that might be suitable for a single guy in his early 30s?

Not Sandwich, but close by. I would suggest making your way to the King's Head in Deal. An excellent pub.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:52 AM »
Not Sandwich, but close by. I would suggest making your way to the King's Head in Deal. An excellent pub.

Deal: Stay either in the club's dormie house, basic but cheap and a £5 taxi into town or at Dunkerleys Hotel in the centre (you park in the public car park round the corner). It is next door to the King's Head, which is lively. Ask Ian Dunkerley to order in the scallops and the sole for dinner.

I have not played Princes but I would heartily recommend both the Other Place (as we Rye members call RSG) and Cinque Ports. They change so much with wind and weather that it will be like playing new courses each time.

I agree with then setting off to stay in Rye (maybe the George Hotel if budget allows) and playing Littlestone and Rye. Stay in the town as taxis are a bugger to get. Plenty of excitement for a 30 year old to be had in a range of pubs (wear your hard hat for the Pipemakers Arms and the Standard!) plus good food and comfort for the older types in the more upmarket establishments such as the Fish Cafe and the George bar.

Don't eat at Littlestone, it is pretty dire. Rye lunch is terrific and great value (much more so than RSG). Do play the Jubilee as it now has some seriously good holes on it.

If you are playing soon, take plenty of balls, the rough has blossomed in the warm and wet weather we have had.

BTW the drive from Royal Cinque Ports in one hour and 10 mins door to door (subject to no Operation Stack, which is implemented when our French cousins go on strike and completely block the Dover ports, causing gridlock in Kent).

Sunningdale to Sandwich is a long way, minimum 2 hours, and, depending on the M25 traffic, can be much, much longer. That said, the New is fantastic, better than the also very fine Old. (Lights blue touch paper and retreats).

Sam

He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
Per Sam's final point, what I've done is take the fast train from St Pancras to Ashford and rent my hire car from there. A multimodal option that gets me in and out of London with minimal pain and, I hope, with shorter travel times.

Have not done that from Sunningdale environs but the train might still work better (via Victoria Sta).
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
Sam,

What did the group end up doing? No wrong answers, just curious how it all worked out. Highlights etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back