News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Simpson

Royal Dornoch photo tour. Complete
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
After meeting David Tepper and having an enjoyable round on Brora in bright sunshine though a stiff chilling breeze I headed over to Dornoch with the camera. There was a ladies team event on all day but heading out the first at 5-30 it was quiet in front of me so I went round in rotation. I thought 2 hours would cover it easily before heading up the road to Wick but with the light disappearing at times and easing up trying not to catch the last golfers it took 3-30 longer than it took us to play Brora!
 There is plenty written about the course so I'll just stick to a photo tour while the gorse is in full bloom.
 It is photo heavy I'll just add a link to the Flickr folder.

[/size]https://www.flickr.com/photos/138006950@N04/albums/72157666030936593
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:07:36 AM by Andrew Simpson »

Mark Kiely

Re: Royal Dornoch photo tour
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
Stunning!
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Wonderful Andrew. Well done. The photo from the 5th tee with the whole hole laid out in front of you and the circle of gold gorse all along the ridge is fabulous.
Atb

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
Thanks Mark and Thomas. I love the 5th in May and the course was looking good.
Walking the last few holes it was almost flat calm, I was so tempted to get a 6 iron and sneak in a few holes as it got dark.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:15:11 PM »
Sure, fully bloomed gorse makes any links come to life, but your pictures shine because of your eye for composition and framing. Very well done, and thanks for sharing.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
Very compelling photos of a majestically scenic course.   Thanks for sharing,  Andrew!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MClutterbuck

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
Great photos Andrew. You are making it very difficult not to add the drive north next May from my visit to St. Andrews and East Lothian.

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
Thanks Andrew, some great photos!

I'm there on Sunday. It can't come quick enough!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Andrew Simpson

Re: Royal Dornoch photo tour 1-15
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »
Thanks Benjamin, I can't claim much with the scenery that's there :-)
MClutterbuck, it's worth it :-)
MCirba, my pleasure.
James, DT said you were up soon, hope the weather picks up mext week as forecast.

Matt Wharton

Re: Royal Dornoch photo tour. Complete
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
Andrew,

All I can say is thank you for sharing!  These photos are absolutely stunning and captivating.  Definitely brightened this damp, dreary day in NC.  I sincerely hope to experience it in person some day.

All the best,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
I have played Dornoch only once in 1993 but remember everything about the course. It is burned into my brain. I didn't tee off until 8pm. I was the only one on the course. I have such vivid memories that it seems like yesterday. It is a magical place. On the first five holes the wind was coming from my left. I hate that wind and until I got six was struggling. The gorse was in bloom and I thought I was in golfing heaven.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Todd Melrose

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing- the photos are spectacular!

David McIntosh

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »
Andrew,

Thanks for posting this fantastic photo tour. It's very well done and is amongst the best I've seen on GCA.

I was already looking forward to visiting Dornoch again later this year however your wonderful photos have refreshed my already fond memories of one of my favourite courses.

David

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments gents, it's nice to be able to combine golf and taking some snaps.
Also nice to see it rekindle some memories and hopefully encourage a few more.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »
The course seems very challenging with all those perched greens with steep run-offs. I bet in the wind it is tough to post a decent score. Beautiful course.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
For a first-time visitor to Dornoch,  Sir Tepper is the perfect host on every level.  Savor the experience!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks, Andrew.  Best photo tour I have seen of Dornoch (or of any other course).  But, of course, you are a a local, are you not?

Richard Goodale
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

jonathan_becker

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
Those are some of the best photos I've ever seen of any course.  Thanks for sharing, Andrew!

Andrew Simpson

Re: Royal Dornoch photo tour. Complete New
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »

The course seems very challenging with all those perched greens with steep run-offs. I bet in the wind it is tough to post a decent score. Beautiful course.
It's tough to post a decent score on a perfect day and certainly very tough with some breeze. Saying that there are some areas you certainly don't want to end up in and on some greens the challenge isn't over.

Thanks, Andrew.  Best photo tour I have seen of Dornoch (or of any other course).  But, of course, you are a a local, are you not?Richard Goodale
Too kind Rich, does living 70 miles away make it easier? :-) Yes I'm up in Wick, David mentioned you being up but I've been busy on a few things and not even touched a golf club!

Those are some of the best photos I've ever seen of any course.  Thanks for sharing, Andrew!
My pleasure and taking a few snaps is made easier when the course and views are that good.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:02:35 PM by Andrew Simpson »

Bill_Yates

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
Beautifully presented! Thank You!

I so very well remember my one visit to Royal Dornoch, playing my round with my good friend George Peper. He was a great host for my trip and we had a fantastic day on the course.

I don't remember seeing another group playing the course and coupled with nice weather until a brief squall rolled in for the final two holes adding the perfect Scottish spice to the day, I couldn't ask for a more perfect playing experience.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back